BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #23
swagon
Brigadier General
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
4269
Rep
4,661
Posts

Drives: E82|F80|6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Good, I am not the youngest one here.

You must be rich for a 17yo, though, with that car and the mods. Across the pond here, almost no one can even afford a car in high school/ college.
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
4118
Rep
6,384
Posts

Drives: 2016 VW GLI SEL
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Might have driven a 2004 F-150 in my dad's lap at about 5. Drove my dad's 1998 540i 6-Speed Sport at 8 (I think). I also was in a go-karting league before the place closed a few years back. I was started early...
Your dad sounds nice...

My dad wouldn't let me drive so I stole his car when I was 12 years old and took it out on my own. Was there ever hell to pay for that bit of mischief. First of many car thefts when I was a youngster. That's how I learned how to drive.

Loved driving and cars from the start. Didn't own a car till I was 18. A "slightly used" '68 VW Bug with 53hp. First thing I did was put an aftermarket exhaust on it. Man, that car was fun! What a rocket ship! Haha

I was a real little devil when I was a kid. lol My life totally changed when I met my wife and got married at age 20.
That sounds exciting! I wouldn't make it to 18 if I stole anything...
When I look back sometimes I wonder how I made it myself. I must've had 9 lives like a cat and probably used them all but 1. Like I said, my wife changed my life and made me see the error of my ways. A good woman will do that to you.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #25
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Good, I am not the youngest one here.

You must be rich for a 17yo, though, with that car and the mods. Across the pond here, almost no one can even afford a car in high school/ college.
The car had 159k miles on it, was a base model, and had nothing interesting done to it. I got it for $7200 out the door, including registration fees and the dealer's processing fee. And, as I've mentioned, I work off all of the mods by doing labor around my house, and earn what I save them in hiring someone in car parts (I've done a scientific crap ton). Also, my car has never been to a mechanic (except that one alignment they did wrong, and I did better) so I save in those areas as well, and I also do the majority of maintenance and car washing on their cars, since dad spends loads of time at work.

Maybe I'm just being too modest, and don't realize my situation; I just hate being in-your-face about stuff.

Oh, yeah, getting a car in your teens is WAY easier and cheaper here in America than in other parts of the world, at least from what I've researched and read about. Also, it's kind of a necessity with our spread-out suburbs and just how far away everything is from everything else compared to (assuming here) European towns.
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 3
      01-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #26
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
When I look back sometimes I wonder how I made it myself. I must've had 9 lives like a cat and probably used them all but 1. Like I said, my wife changed my life and made me see the error of my ways. A good woman will do that to you.
I've heard that from a lot of different people I know that are married! Isn't it a saying, "Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn"
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #27
swagon
Brigadier General
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
4269
Rep
4,661
Posts

Drives: E82|F80|6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
The car had 159k miles on it, was a base model, and had nothing interesting done to it. I got it for $7200 out the door, including registration fees and the dealer's processing fee. And, as I've mentioned, I work off all of the mods by doing labor around my house, and earn what I save them in hiring someone in car parts (I've done a scientific crap ton). Also, my car has never been to a mechanic (except that one alignment they did wrong, and I did better) so I save in those areas as well, and I also do the majority of maintenance and car washing on their cars, since dad spends loads of time at work.

Maybe I'm just being too modest, and don't realize my situation; I just hate being in-your-face about stuff.

Oh, yeah, getting a car in your teens is WAY easier and cheaper here in America than in other parts of the world, at least from what I've researched and read about. Also, it's kind of a necessity with our spread-out suburbs and just how far away everything is from everything else compared to (assuming here) European towns.
Oh, fair enough. That's great. Keep up the work. I got lucky too that I am able to enjoy the 1er at my age (still healthy and able to work the clutch pedal, sorry Esteban ) and before manual rwd bmws are no more a thing.

Yeah, that was my point. I guess here in Europe it's far easier to get by public transport, at least where I have been to and where I have lived.
__________________
Appreciate 1
Matticus913143.50

      01-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #28
Esteban
Major General
United_States
4118
Rep
6,384
Posts

Drives: 2016 VW GLI SEL
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Oh, fair enough. That's great. Keep up the work. I got lucky too that I am able to enjoy the 1er at my age (still healthy and able to work the clutch pedal, sorry Esteban ) and before manual rwd bmws are no more a thing.

Yeah, that was my point. I guess here in Europe it's far easier to get by public transport, at least where I have been to and where I have lived.
Thanks, buddy.

Also, it seems like an unwritten law here in the US that everyone has to have a car starting at age 16 or 17. Although I wanted one at that age (couldn't afford one till I was 18), but I'm a car enthusiast and not everyone shares my passion.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #29
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Just finished the BMW SSK install, along with rebuilding the shifter assembly and installing E46 M3 transmission mounts.

It just clicks into gear, the gears are all in the right place all of the time, and there's no play in it at all. I'm in love all over again! I'll have some pictures tomorrow afternoon when it's not dark outside...
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #30
Matticus91
Brigadier General
Matticus91's Avatar
United_States
3144
Rep
3,689
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (6)

Nice job on the shifter. I pulled mine apart yesterday to check the bushings/arm and everything looks brand new. Was trying to justify a SSK but oh well lol.
__________________
"Tobias" 2013 135i ///M-Sport 6MT • Pure Stage 1 • XDI 35 HPFP • 404whp/440wtq
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #31
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Nice job on the shifter. I pulled mine apart yesterday to check the bushings/arm and everything looks brand new. Was trying to justify a SSK but oh well lol.
I think the bushings made the biggest difference, the shifter just shortened the throws and made me hate not having a weighted knob (more effort to shift).
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #32
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
I have video, but no photos yet...

__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 1
Matticus913143.50

      02-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #33
Matticus91
Brigadier General
Matticus91's Avatar
United_States
3144
Rep
3,689
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (6)

How are you doing this to us lol
__________________
"Tobias" 2013 135i ///M-Sport 6MT • Pure Stage 1 • XDI 35 HPFP • 404whp/440wtq
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #34
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
How are you doing this to us lol
I was already "yelled" at for the vertical orientation! At least the sound isn't too bad, coming from an iPhone...
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:20 PM   #35
Matticus91
Brigadier General
Matticus91's Avatar
United_States
3144
Rep
3,689
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I think the bushings made the biggest difference, the shifter just shortened the throws and made me hate not having a weighted knob (more effort to shift).
I actually have a weighted shifter for sale, here's the eBay listing. If you're interested let me know. You can have it cheap if you pick it up!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-BMW...d/263467393154

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I was already "yelled" at for the vertical orientation! At least the sound isn't too bad, coming from an iPhone...
Lol!
__________________
"Tobias" 2013 135i ///M-Sport 6MT • Pure Stage 1 • XDI 35 HPFP • 404whp/440wtq
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #36
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
I just realized that the E92 cars got oil temperature gauges in their instrument clusters... next interior mod?
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 1
Matticus913143.50

      02-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #37
swagon
Brigadier General
swagon's Avatar
No_Country
4269
Rep
4,661
Posts

Drives: E82|F80|6MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I just realized that the E92 cars got oil temperature gauges in their instrument clusters... next interior mod?
135i too.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #38
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
135i too.
Really? I had thought it was water temp...

Even more options! Now, how would I go about swapping it? I've looked on all the related forums about this, and I couldn't decipher what people were saying...
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #39
vinylengraver
First Lieutenant
vinylengraver's Avatar
Canada
353
Rep
319
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Langley, BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
The car had 159k miles on it, was a base model, and had nothing interesting done to it. I got it for $7200 out the door, including registration fees and the dealer's processing fee. And, as I've mentioned, I work off all of the mods by doing labor around my house, and earn what I save them in hiring someone in car parts (I've done a scientific crap ton). Also, my car has never been to a mechanic (except that one alignment they did wrong, and I did better) so I save in those areas as well, and I also do the majority of maintenance and car washing on their cars, since dad spends loads of time at work.

Maybe I'm just being too modest, and don't realize my situation; I just hate being in-your-face about stuff.

Oh, yeah, getting a car in your teens is WAY easier and cheaper here in America than in other parts of the world, at least from what I've researched and read about. Also, it's kind of a necessity with our spread-out suburbs and just how far away everything is from everything else compared to (assuming here) European towns.
The kid is an old soul. Not many teenagers are interested in cars anymore, let alone working on them. Neither of my sons displays even a slightest interest in motoring... they are in their twenties, have great jobs and could afford better cars that I can... and yet....

Anyway, I had a neighbor some years ago who's son bought himself a beat-up GTI and was so persistent at fixing it up and making it look good... while going to school and working shitty jobs in the evening.
I don't know how many times I lent him my tools, some of them I never got back and never asked for. He was always ready to give me a hand when my garage door was open and whatever I was driving at the moment was up on jackstands.

I love my kids to death but I wish sometimes they were more like me and actually knew what the difference between a screw and a bolt is, lol.

Chris_flies, keep up the good work man, we need more people like you or else we will be all extinct before we know it and whoever is left will have not a single drop of petrol left in their blood.
Appreciate 1
Matticus913143.50

      02-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #40
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
The kid is an old soul. Not many teenagers are interested in cars anymore, let alone working on them. Neither of my sons displays even a slightest interest in motoring... they are in their twenties, have great jobs and could afford better cars that I can... and yet....

Anyway, I had a neighbor some years ago who's son bought himself a beat-up GTI and was so persistent at fixing it up and making it look good... while going to school and working shitty jobs in the evening.

I don't know how many times I lent him my tools, some of them I never got back and never asked for. He was always ready to give me a hand when my garage door was open and whatever I was driving at the moment was up on jackstands.

I love my kids to death but I wish sometimes they were more like me and actually knew what the difference between a screw and a bolt is, lol.

Chris_flies, keep up the good work man, we need more people like you or else we will be all extinct before we know it and whoever is left will have not a single drop of petrol left in their blood.
Hey, thanks, man! I kinda got my cousin, who's a year younger than me, his first real taste of working on cars, he helped me install one of my camber plates over the holiday season. It was fun and frustrating, but in the same way it was for my father when I was "helping" him working on his '98 540i/6...
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #41
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
I got a good look at the damage today, the bumper is well-gashed and will likely need replacing. The inner fender liner was crumpled, and it looked like the little cover for the fuel vapor filter was damaged (screws appeared bent, and plastic looked distorted), so those may need replacing as well. The other driver has Progressive, who offered to either pay for someone to do the entire repair, or to give me a check for the parts and install/painting of whatever, which is fantastic.

I'm eyeing the M-Tech rear bumper from ECS Tuning, which comes with a nice, but basic looking diffuser. How much would this cost to be painted? Not that I'm too concerned with cost, but I am. I'm thinking of wrapping the diffuser, if this whole thing works out, in a matte carbon fibre. Before you cry RICE, lemme explain; the diffuser is in a usually-shaded position that won't highlight any flaws in the faux weave, like a wrapped roof would...
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #42
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
desertman123's Avatar
United_States
1686
Rep
1,863
Posts

Drives: '08 128i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I got a good look at the damage today, the bumper is well-gashed and will likely need replacing. The inner fender liner was crumpled, and it looked like the little cover for the fuel vapor filter was damaged (screws appeared bent, and plastic looked distorted), so those may need replacing as well. The other driver has Progressive, who offered to either pay for someone to do the entire repair, or to give me a check for the parts and install/painting of whatever, which is fantastic.

I'm eyeing the M-Tech rear bumper from ECS Tuning, which comes with a nice, but basic looking diffuser. How much would this cost to be painted? Not that I'm too concerned with cost, but I am. I'm thinking of wrapping the diffuser, if this whole thing works out, in a matte carbon fibre. Before you cry RICE, lemme explain; the diffuser is in a usually-shaded position that won't highlight any flaws in the faux weave, like a wrapped roof would...
I would just pick up a used bumper off eBay, they go for 200-500.

My body shop quoted ~200 to spray my bumper, this is with a friend/business partner discount though so YMMV.
__________________

My 2008 128i - Sparkling Graphite/Beige - Sport pkg - 6MT - Click me!
Parents' 2014 528i - Mineral White/Ivory White - fully loaded
Instagram @Andreys_128i
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #43
Matticus91
Brigadier General
Matticus91's Avatar
United_States
3144
Rep
3,689
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I got a good look at the damage today, the bumper is well-gashed and will likely need replacing. The inner fender liner was crumpled, and it looked like the little cover for the fuel vapor filter was damaged (screws appeared bent, and plastic looked distorted), so those may need replacing as well. The other driver has Progressive, who offered to either pay for someone to do the entire repair, or to give me a check for the parts and install/painting of whatever, which is fantastic.

I'm eyeing the M-Tech rear bumper from ECS Tuning, which comes with a nice, but basic looking diffuser. How much would this cost to be painted? Not that I'm too concerned with cost, but I am. I'm thinking of wrapping the diffuser, if this whole thing works out, in a matte carbon fibre. Before you cry RICE, lemme explain; the diffuser is in a usually-shaded position that won't highlight any flaws in the faux weave, like a wrapped roof would...
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
I would just pick up a used bumper off eBay, they go for 200-500.

My body shop quoted ~200 to spray my bumper, this is with a friend/business partner discount though so YMMV.
Glad to hear you got the check option offered, I'd definitely jump on that!

The M-Tech bumper is the stock 135i style I believe. The 1M style ones are the one you want IMO. Just make sure you get the one with the PDC if your car has that option.

As far as the diffuser goes, when I did mine I just painted it gloss black and threw some clear coat over it. Testors for black and high temp clear for the final coat. Very happy with how it came out and painting it was easy+cheap!


20170419_093946 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
TobiasJuly2017-4 by Matt Steele, on Flickr
__________________
"Tobias" 2013 135i ///M-Sport 6MT • Pure Stage 1 • XDI 35 HPFP • 404whp/440wtq
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #44
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
chris_flies's Avatar
United_States
2266
Rep
2,423
Posts

Drives: In Exuberance
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Woodbridge, VA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Glad to hear you got the check option offered, I'd definitely jump on that!

The M-Tech bumper is the stock 135i style I believe. The 1M style ones are the one you want IMO. Just make sure you get the one with the PDC if your car has that option.
I was happy with having the choice offered to me!

I'm torn between the 1M and M-Tech bumper (Stock 135i, or M-Sport 128i). The only issue with the 1M is that I'd have to modify my exhaust (probably a muffler delete with Y-pipe to left and right dual exits) for it to fit right.
__________________
2009 128i 6-Speed Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Sensatec | chris_flies' 128i thread
N/A is Supreme
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
128i, build

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST