BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #309
Eriphill
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i

Those crazy kids they did it. Government withdrawing extradition bill.

https://www.scmp.com/video/hong-kong...tradition-bill
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #310
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Hong Kong bookseller who defied China raises $100,000 in a day for new shop https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49612785

09-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #311
NormanConquest
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
Those crazy kids they did it. Government withdrawing extradition bill.

https://www.scmp.com/video/hong-kong...tradition-bill
They have four more demands, that hardest one will be universal sufferage and i think china will come down hard on them if it continues past the national holiday as the chineese hate losing face.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #312
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 x35d M-Sport + 2013 X-35d

Wont happen. But if Hong Kong successfully separated from their commie overlords i will consider their victory to be a blessed event. The west would welcome back a lost ally. Hopefully to be treated better too.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #313
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

To the best of my knowledge Hong Kong has an extradition treaty with the US and with the UK. Hong Kong did not have an extradition treaty with China and China did want one as Taiwan did following the murder of the girl in Taiwan by her Hong Kong boyfriend. As that issue came to light China said we also want to have an extradition law with Hong Kong. In this case it makes sense for both to want an extradition treaty for say murder. The extradition bill though did not mention in detail what would classify an extradition and many were not happy about this. The irony and hypocrisy in all this is the US also has extradition treaties with other countries and supports extradition of those who commit crimes and even if those crimes were not committed in the US they still extradite them over, prosecute them and imprison them in the US. Quite often this happens against the person's wishes and against the other country's wishes. On the other hand Hong Kong wanted to be able to elect their own government officials without involvement from China of which the Hong Kong people have a point on but here in the US our officials have certain guidelines to meet also if they wish to become government officials or run for President. Those that don't follow those policies don't make it in the end.

The US has been playing a double standard though on these protests where they support them in some countries but oppose them in other countries

I really like Hong Kong and this is quite complicated. The police in Hong Kong have been quite patient in the beginning compared to say how the Police in the US would have reacted. The police in the US would probably have pulled out their guns on many occasions and shot everyone who ran at them protesting so the police in HK showed more obedience and self restraint (to a certain point that is) as things have changed now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-47810723
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #314
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
To the best of my knowledge Hong Kong has an extradition treaty with the US and with the UK. Hong Kong did not have an extradition treaty with China and China did want one as Taiwan did following the murder of the girl in Taiwan by her Hong Kong boyfriend. As that issue came to light China said we also want to have an extradition law with Hong Kong. In this case it makes sense for both to want an extradition treaty for say murder. The extradition bill though did not mention in detail what would classify an extradition and many were not happy about this. The irony and hypocrisy in all this is the US also has extradition treaties with other countries and supports extradition of those who commit crimes and even if those crimes were not committed in the US they still extradite them over, prosecute them and imprison them in the US. Quite often this happens against the person's wishes and against the other country's wishes. On the other hand Hong Kong wanted to be able to elect their own government officials without involvement from China of which the Hong Kong people have a point on but here in the US our officials have certain guidelines to meet also if they wish to become government officials or run for President. Those that don't follow those policies don't make it in the end.

The US has been playing a double standard though on these protests where they support them in some countries but oppose them in other countries

I really like Hong Kong and this is quite complicated. The police in Hong Kong have been quite patient in the beginning compared to say how the Police in the US would have reacted. The police in the US would probably have pulled out their guns on many occasions and shot everyone who ran at them protesting so the police in HK showed more obedience and self restraint (to a certain point that is) as things have changed now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-47810723
In the US you get a fair hearing. In China it's arbitrary. It's not fair at all. The accused will be found innocent or guilty considering if the Communist party wants that person to be innocent or guilty.

You make a very weak case. And why do you always seem to take the side of the authoritarian governments?

10-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #315
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Things to say in Nepal?

Hong Kong protests: President Xi warns of 'crushed bodies' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50035229
      Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #316
Delta0311
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Things to say in Nepal?

Hong Kong protests: President Xi warns of 'crushed bodies' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50035229
Meanwhile the NBA stands shoulder to shoulder with the Chinese government.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 3
MKSixer14430.50
glennQNYC5323.00

Yesterday, 12:52 PM   #317
WestRace
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Tiananmen Square part deux.
Appreciate 1
Delta03117180.50

Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #318
glennQNYC
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Things to say in Nepal?

Meanwhile the NBA stands shoulder to shoulder with the Chinese government.
...and the environmental extremists give China a pass... and numerous other companies (BMW I'm looking right at you) partner up with China in an effort to sell (and often manufacture) stuff there. I'm disgusted by this.

Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #319
WestRace
Captain
Rep

Once they move their tanks onto the streets, turn on your DVR :-)
Appreciate 1
Delta03117180.50

Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #320
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I remember teinnamin square. I was a teen but i remember it. All of a sudden in my great age i begin to fear if the tank vs citizen insistent was staged.

The free world MUST back people who choose freedom over communism. America stands for democracy. They should stand up for Taiwan snd the Philippines and for Hong Kong!!!
Appreciate 2
Delta03117180.50
MKSixer14430.50

Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #321
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Delta0311. You are person number 1,111 to like a post of mine here.

HIGH FIVE!!!!!
Appreciate 2
MKSixer14430.50
Delta03117180.50

Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #322
WestRace
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
I remember teinnamin square. I was a teen but i remember it. All of a sudden in my great age i begin to fear if the tank vs citizen insistent was staged.
Once I find out who killed JFK, I'll get back to you :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
They should stand up for Taiwan snd the Philippines and for Hong Kong!!!
We already have a military present in Taiwan and I doubt China would dare to attach Taiwan. Philippines didn't want us there so we had to leave Subic bay. But it seems like the US is starting to use VietNam to replace Philippines. Took them awhile I guess sooner rather than later. Hong Kong is part of China and China is a sovereign country so it's their country and they can do whatever they want. It's not like Grenada that was in the US backyard that the US can just invade at will. Also China has nuclear missiles so it's not that simple. We can put economic pressure but it never worked in the past.

China feels like they pretty got everything they wanted from the West and everything there can be self-sustained there so they can do fine without the West ... well at least that's what they are thinking. They may still rely on the West for some stuffs but nothing too large.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:02 AM   #323
Delta0311
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/n...es-daryl-morey

And Lebron totally sells out to the communists. Here he is toting the party lines like a good little puppet. And this idiot calls Trump a dictator, while supporting an actual dictatorship.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you donít see it, and if you donít believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Appreciate 0