BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2018, 07:34 AM   #111
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
China legalizes Xinjiang 're-education camps' after denying they exist - CNN
https://apple.news/AbmTHWR6kR1O0R9aPtsu6iw

China Uighurs: Xinjiang 'legalises' Muslim internment camps http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45812419
      10-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #112
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
https://apnews.com/ce4c3e49f24d4223b831b3f4c19eb2cf
China says internment camps are 'free vocational training
      10-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #113
Law
Global Moderator
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge officially opens to traffic this week (Wed).

Key facts:
  • Links Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai
  • Bridge-Tunnel system (three cable-stayed bridges & one undersea tunnel)
  • Longest bridge in system stretches 55km (34 miles)
  • Holds record for "Longest Sea Crossing in the World"

Political significance (my 2 cents):
No doubt this project has been impressive and will make transportation and trade even more accessible to the people of Hong Kong, Macau, and nearby mainland Chinese cities (i.e., Zhuhai).
However, it's also safe to say that this is Beijing exercising soft power in the Pearl River metropolitan area to further facilitate the economic and political integration of Hong Kong and Macau (which are currently autonomous semi-city states with special status) into mainland China.

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 1
Z K1392.50

10-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #114
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge officially opens to traffic this week (Wed).

Key facts:
  • Links Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai
  • Bridge-Tunnel system (three cable-stayed bridges & one undersea tunnel)
  • Longest bridge in system stretches 55km (34 miles)
  • Holds record for "Longest Sea Crossing in the World"

Political significance (my 2 cents):
No doubt this project has been impressive and will make transportation and trade even more accessible to the people of Hong Kong, Macau, and nearby mainland Chinese cities (i.e., Zhuhai).
However, it's also safe to say that this is Beijing exercising soft power in the Pearl River metropolitan area to further facilitate the economic and political integration of Hong Kong and Macau (which are currently autonomous semi-city states with special status) into mainland China.
Impressive bridge, I was in HK last year and saw it under construction. It is seriously big and long.

Hong Kong people really have no say in any of these matters. China means to integrate Hong Kong sooner rather than later, this is part of their plans to link everything together. But as HK becomes more integrated, it loses it's appeal as the freewheeling special place it was.

10-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #115
Law
Global Moderator
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Impressive bridge, I was in HK last year and saw it under construction. It is seriously big and long.

Hong Kong people really have no say in any of these matters. China means to integrate Hong Kong sooner rather than later, this is part of their plans to link everything together. But as HK becomes more integrated, it loses it's appeal as the freewheeling special place it was.
Very similar story here.

I went to HK and Macau just last February (of this year).
I find myself in HK from time to time, but Macau on the other hand, the last time I visited was over 10 years ago prior to that trip.

So, just like old times, I board the "TurboJet" boat via the HK-Macau Ferry Terminal.
As the vessel moved away from the city-scape and into the waters, I remember passing by the nearly completed, yet unfinished bridge and asking my friend if that was THE bridge.
He told me yes and added that just a few weeks prior, a fatal accident that occurred during construction made it to the headlines, that may or may not delay completion.

As I continued to gaze out the window of the vessel, seeing the incomplete bridge, I remember thinking to myself that this may be the last time that the default travel method between HK & Macau will be by boat, and that the next time I visit HK again, the bridge will be completed.

Crazy stuff.

Appreciate 3
Z K1392.50
Run Silent11920.50
MKSixer14593.50

10-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #116
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-naval...ina-1540250790

US Navy sends ships through the Taiwan strait to China's ire.

While I have no love for Trump, I feel like this sends a strong message without provoking more than it needs to.

10-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #117
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources...a_hidden_camps

10-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #118
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: Beastly

I had no idea that there was such a large Muslim presence in China.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #119
Ivan Ivanov
First Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: X1, X3

Uups
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/mili...monitors-south
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #120
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Even the Democrats are on board with Trump on China. They agree on something.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo.../#1539d5145f51
      11-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #121
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medi...eCv?ocid=ientp

How does gasoline stabilizer and liquid rocket fuel show up in US heart medications? Only if its made in China.
      11-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #122
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

How does erectile dysfunction medication show up in vape juice?
China.
      11-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #123
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
https://apnews.com/9ca1c29fc9554c1697a8729bba4dd93
'Enemy' or 'mother'? Chinese party members occupy homes

Seems the Chinese are going all out for a Stalinist /1984 type country. Creepy!
      11-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #124
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Very similar story here.

I went to HK and Macau just last February (of this year).
I find myself in HK from time to time, but Macau on the other hand, the last time I visited was over 10 years ago prior to that trip.

So, just like old times, I board the "TurboJet" boat via the HK-Macau Ferry Terminal.
As the vessel moved away from the city-scape and into the waters, I remember passing by the nearly completed, yet unfinished bridge and asking my friend if that was THE bridge.
He told me yes and added that just a few weeks prior, a fatal accident that occurred during construction made it to the headlines, that may or may not delay completion.

As I continued to gaze out the window of the vessel, seeing the incomplete bridge, I remember thinking to myself that this may be the last time that the default travel method between HK & Macau will be by boat, and that the next time I visit HK again, the bridge will be completed.

Crazy stuff.

My old boat, the USS Helena (SSN-725) visited Hong Kong on my last WestPac before I left the Navy. This was in late July, 1997, and we were the first US Navy vessel - and a nuclear submarine at that - to visit HK after the hand over to the ChiCom's.

I really enjoyed the visit, especially Kowloon, but the situation was very tense at the time. I remember seeing PLA troops and tanks everywhere.
MKSixer14593.50

11-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #125
MKSixer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
My old boat, the USS Helena (SSN-725) visited Hong Kong on my last WestPac before I left the Navy. This was in late July, 1997, and we were the first US Navy vessel - and a nuclear submarine at that - to visit HK after the hand over to the ChiCom's.

I really enjoyed the visit, especially Kowloon, but the situation was very tense at the time. I remember seeing PLA troops and tanks everywhere.
The worst name in the history of the world for any military organization is still PLA-N. People's Liberation Army Navy.

You'd think despotic rulers could think of something more original than that.

Several actors have played James Bond, Sean Connery IS James Bond...
Appreciate 3
Law4528.50
Run Silent11920.50

11-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #126
Law
Global Moderator
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:

Thank you for your service.
And thanks for sharing your memory.

Crazy to think in hindsight that July 1, 1997 would be the day the British Empire was no more.

Colonialism as a concept, when taken alone is not a honorable thing, particularly to its subjects, but the greatest irony is that it was only through this sovereign/subject relationship between the UK & HK that Hong Kong was spared from the dooms of the ChiComs & Mao and became the beacon of light, however small, in the south of geographical China.

Hong Kong was a great place prior to that day; a special place, where East meets West, a shimmering light that lay in sharp contrast to the darkness and despair on the Mainland.
There was just the right amount of cultural amalgamation of European sophistication and modernization with the wisdom and mysticism of Chinese tradition and culture, tradition and culture which was undisturbed by the perils of communist poison (i.e., Cultural Revolution)

In fact, a sizable proportion of the population descends from those who fled the ChiComs post-1949.
Much like the situation with Taiwan, these people include bankers, entertainers, industrialists, scholars, etc. who would've been persecuted and/or killed should they have stayed behind in mainland China.

In a sense, much of the progress and "boom" attributed to the two Asian Tigers (HK & TW) can be attributed to a combination of the resilience and strong ethics of Chinese culture and the talent and wealth brought there by those who fled the Commies.
These societies were literally built with blood and sweat and a lot of struggle.

That being said, it's not surprising that a good amount of Hong Kongers, based on that experience, emigrated to other countries (mostly Anglophone countries such as Canada, Australia, the USA, etc.) around the time of 1997.
There was already a distrust of the Communist Party, and for many, seeing the PLA march through like that is simply an intimidating sight (which was likely intentional).

It's quite disheartening to see that as of late, a lot of the progress and culture that is associated with Hong Kong is being eroded by the Beijing authorities.
Hong Kong in 2018 is certainly not the same as the Hong Kong of yore.
Not just politically, but socially, you can see it and feel it in the people; the animosity and unease.

Appreciate 2
MKSixer14593.50

11-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #127
Law
Global Moderator
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The worst name in the history of the world for any military organization is still PLA-N. People's Liberation Army Navy.

People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) is right up there with PLAN.

If there's one thing Commies never get right is cultural coherency or consistency.
And don't think this is just an English language translation issue, the ChiComs don't even respect the Chinese language, so never mind English.
The simplified character forms used in mainland China are a legacy of a broader plan to ultimately replace the Chinese Language with a Romanized script/Pinyin (which for the non-initiated would've yielded an appearance & orthography comparable to modern Vietnamese).
Of course, the attempt was ultimately thwarted when some in the Party realized it was a stupid idea, but the damage to the Chinese characters was already done.
Luckily, the Traditional forms are still in widespread use outside of mainland China.

Now, the only consistent thing they've done is the use of the word "People's" all over the place.

Appreciate 1
MKSixer14593.50

11-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #128
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post

LOL - the airforce isn't any better: PLAAF. You forget though, that communism suppresses originality. Just like PLAN and PLAAF, you have people's hospital 11243 and people's school 2332, etc.

Quote:
Thank you for your service.
And thanks for sharing your memory.

Crazy to think in hindsight that July 1, 1997 would be the day the British Empire was no more.

Colonialism as a concept, when taken alone is not a honorable thing, particularly to its subjects, but the greatest irony is that it was only through this sovereign/subject relationship between the UK & HK that Hong Kong was spared from the dooms of the ChiComs & Mao and became the beacon of light, however small, in the south of geographical China.

Hong Kong was a great place prior to that day; a special place, where East meets West, a shimmering light that lay in sharp contrast to the darkness and despair on the Mainland.
There was just the right amount of cultural amalgamation of European sophistication and modernization with the wisdom and mysticism of Chinese tradition and culture, tradition and culture which was undisturbed by the perils of communist poison (i.e., Cultural Revolution)

In fact, a sizable proportion of the population descends from those who fled the ChiComs post-1949.
Much like the situation with Taiwan, these people include bankers, entertainers, industrialists, scholars, etc. who would've been persecuted and/or killed should they have stayed behind in mainland China.

In a sense, much of the progress and "boom" attributed to the two Asian Tigers (HK & TW) can be attributed to a combination of the resilience and strong ethics of Chinese culture and the talent and wealth brought there by those who fled the Commies.
These societies were literally built with blood and sweat and a lot of struggle.

That being said, it's not surprising that a good amount of Hong Kongers, based on that experience, emigrated to other countries (mostly Anglophone countries such as Canada, Australia, the USA, etc.) around the time of 1997.
There was already a distrust of the Communist Party, and for many, seeing the PLA march through like that is simply an intimidating sight (which was likely intentional).

It's quite disheartening to see that as of late, a lot of the progress and culture that is associated with Hong Kong is being eroded by the Beijing authorities.
Hong Kong in 2018 is certainly not the same as the Hong Kong of yore.
Not just politically, but socially, you can see it and feel it in the people; the animosity and unease.
Yes - it was quite tense - photos were strictly off limits, or I would have grabbed some. The military itself was tense as well - not just the HK citizens. I was a 'spook' and worked primarily with HUMINT/SIGINT data as a linguist. I didn't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, but my buddy also on the deployment did. We attempted to swap our boat ball cap with a PLA member who looked pretty cool (it's a common thing to trade insignia, etc when in port and meeting other armed services) - he completely freaked out and actually drew down on us with his weapon. I thought I would wet my pants. I don't think he was a jerk or anything, I think he was just completely scared based on whatever he had been told.

Even then - there was a dichotomy with HK that is hard to describe. It felt as though there was a shiny veneer over a seedy underbelly - but not in a negative way. I liked it, it almost seemed like I was walking through a scene in 'blade runner' - especially when off the main drags.

Would love to go back one day.

MKSixer14593.50

11-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #129
Law
Global Moderator
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
LOL - the airforce isn't any better: PLAAF. You forget though, that communism suppresses originality. Just like PLAN and PLAAF, you have people's hospital 11243 and people's school 2332, etc.

Yes - it was quite tense - photos were strictly off limits, or I would have grabbed some. The military itself was tense as well - not just the HK citizens. I was a 'spook' and worked primarily with HUMINT/SIGINT data as a linguist. I didn't speak Mandarin or Cantonese, but my buddy also on the deployment did. We attempted to swap our boat ball cap with a PLA member who looked pretty cool (it's a common thing to trade insignia, etc when in port and meeting other armed services) - he completely freaked out and actually drew down on us with his weapon. I thought I would wet my pants. I don't think he was a jerk or anything, I think he was just completely scared based on whatever he had been told.

Even then - there was a dichotomy with HK that is hard to describe. It felt as though there was a shiny veneer over a seedy underbelly - but not in a negative way. I liked it, it almost seemed like I was walking through a scene in 'blade runner' - especially when off the main drags.

Would love to go back one day.

Thanks for sharing again.

Regarding the bolded, you're absolutely right.
Dichotomy really is the best word to describe it in a nutshell.
It's disorderly, yet orderly.
There's a truly modern facet with huge modern skyscrapers with people in suits and shopping arcades/streets where fashion is paramount, but behind that is a stack of old shops, leaky AC units, and old wrinkly uncles in wifebeaters and sandals making keys, or even making your lunch.

It's truly interesting.

I had a friend who is recently deceased, but with whom I would travel with for work quite often.
He always told people who had never been to mainland China or HK that HK was like a "China-lite", another very fitting description.

And before we move away from this topic, here's a video from July 1, 1997.
Can you believe it's been 20+ years? Geez

Appreciate 1
Run Silent11920.50

11-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #130
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for sharing again.
No problem at all. I've been to nearly every Asian and Eastern European country, most in somewhat unusual circumstances. Most everything is declassified these days - I have some stories to tell.

Quote:
I had a friend who is recently deceased, but with whom I would travel with for work quite often.
He always told people who had never been to mainland China or HK that HK was like a "China-lite", another very fitting description.
Sorry for your loss - shame.

China-lite is very accurate. One of our best friends is from, and lives in, Shanghai. Comparable city-scape when looked at from afar - but there is just something different about HK. I imagine that Macau is probably similar. Even when we got lost in Sham Shui Po and Mong Kok, both at night and known 'sketchy' areas, we were still bombarded by capitalism and economic prosperity.

It's really a place unlike anywhere else in the world.

11-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #131
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: Beastly

No mention about He Jiankui fucking around with CRISPR technology to alter the DNA of a human embryo?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #132
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Chinese man arrested for taking pictures of US Navy base in Florida. Not only was he a Chinese national, but he was here illegally as well.

Super.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...222552930.html