BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
17
Rep
361
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

HELP - CLUTCH TROUBLES

I installed the Riss Racing CDV on my 135i tonight and now I've got no clutch pedal pressure. We have pumped and pumped and bled and bled and still no pressure and very little fluid out of the bleeder. Does anyone have any idea what we could be doing wrong ????? Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
scs
First Lieutenant
22
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98632

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post
I installed the Riss Racing CDV on my 135i tonight and now I've got no clutch pedal pressure. We have pumped and pumped and bled and bled and still no pressure and very little fluid out of the bleeder. Does anyone have any idea what we could be doing wrong ????? Thanks !
you have to bleed the system, no pressure means air bubbles in the line. only takes a few to cause the problem
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
ichiban
Colonel
ichiban's Avatar
64
Rep
2,012
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

make sure you have enough fluids.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
SlickShift's Avatar
United_States
162
Rep
1,664
Posts

Drives: '16 435i, '16 X4 35i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (4)

And don't let the brake fluid go empty or you'll have a big problem!
__________________
-Nick
2016 BMW 435i - ZMP, ZTR, ZTP, ZLP, ZDA, HK
Black Sapphire
/Black Dakota/Aluminum
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
10
Rep
170
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

What do people mean when they say bleed the brakes or line?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
scs
First Lieutenant
22
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98632

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp1_tx View Post
What do people mean when they say bleed the brakes or line?
bleed the air out of the system, by opening up the line for the mod, you more then likely allowed air into the system. for brakes, you open the bleeder valve at the caliper and pump the brake peddle, same system for a hydraulic clutch (although i haven't bleed a car clutch)
pump the peddle to build pressure, open the valve to let bubbles/fluid through
repeat, repeat, repeat, until the peddle gets firm. make sure the fluid tank is kept full so no air gets pulled back into the system from the tank.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
bimmertech
Private First Class
3
Rep
131
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp1_tx View Post
What do people mean when they say bleed the brakes or line?
anytime you open up a hydraulic line such as a brake line or a clutch line you introduce air into the system. air interferes with hydraulic action and to bleed it means to get all the air out of the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
alexp1_tx
Private First Class
10
Rep
170
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

iTrader: (0)

So how do you bleed the clutch or get the air out?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
17
Rep
361
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!! Ok guys first off I would highly recommend using a clamp on the forward fluid line and you will not run in to the nightmare I just had. Turns out you have to really top off the brake/clutch fluid when you are bleeding it because clutch line drawing the fluid out it WAYYY up at the top. We thought ours was topped off enough and it turns out it was not so we were sucking in AIR which of course really "sucks". Once we topped it off we had no problem bleeding the system. Oh and one more thing, the bleeder valve needs to be unscrewed a lot not just a few turns.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Lester
Colonel
64
Rep
2,899
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED !!!! Ok guys first off I would highly recommend using a clamp on the forward fluid line and you will not run in to the nightmare I just had. Turns out you have to really top off the brake/clutch fluid when you are bleeding it because clutch line drawing the fluid out it WAYYY up at the top. We thought ours was topped off enough and it turns out it was not so we were sucking in AIR which of course really "sucks". Once we topped it off we had no problem bleeding the system. Oh and one more thing, the bleeder valve needs to be unscrewed a lot not just a few turns.
Make sure you rinse off the area where the hydraulic fluid bled off, as it is corrosive especially on pained surfaces.
__________________
2008 135i, Jet Black, 6 spd, Canadian Sport package, black leatherette, manual seats, aluminum glacier trim, PDC.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
scs
First Lieutenant
22
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 98632

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Make sure you rinse off the area where the hydraulic fluid beld off, as it is corrosive especially on pained surfaces.
+1
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
Oregon's Avatar
United_States
110
Rep
2,614
Posts

Drives: 04' M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
1971 2002  [0.00]
The fluid is quite caustic and has been used by some as a paint stripper.
__________________
Resigned 1ADDICTS Moderator


To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 07:56 AM   #13
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
17
Rep
361
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

We already did this but thanks for the tip, Brake Fluid is indeed some nasty $hit !
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #14
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
2013
Rep
10,169
Posts

Drives: '97 332ti, '18 F31, '16 GT4
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (2)

How's the car feel with the modded CDV now?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
Crowley
Major
30
Rep
1,015
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Good info .. thanks ...

and as Larry asked .. How's the car feel with the modded CDV now?

Crowley
__________________


The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: There is something simply magical about BMWs in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
17
Rep
361
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

Even though this mod turning into a royal PIA, mostly due to my fault, it's still well worth the effort. The car definately drives much smoother, and it improves ALL gear changes. The goofy lurch is now gone when I change gears and release the clutch. A few years back I owned a 2003 6spd and it shifted similar to the 135i in that the clutch seemed to have a strange "bite" and this resulted in jerky gear changes, I wonder if it also had a CDV.

To anyone considering this mod, JUST DO IT !! OH and make sure you pinch the line
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #17
mad chemist
Lieutenant
mad chemist's Avatar
United Kingdom
51
Rep
419
Posts

Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post
Even though this mod turning into a royal PIA, mostly due to my fault, it's still well worth the effort. The car definately drives much smoother, and it improves ALL gear changes. The goofy lurch is now gone when I change gears and release the clutch. A few years back I owned a 2003 6spd and it shifted similar to the 135i in that the clutch seemed to have a strange "bite" and this resulted in jerky gear changes, I wonder if it also had a CDV.

To anyone considering this mod, JUST DO IT !! OH and make sure you pinch the line
Glad you got this sorted.

Did my CDV last weekend and used a hose clamp. Only had problems getting the bleed valve open - after that it just took 2 slow presses of the clutch pedal and I was done.

Good improvement in 1-2 gear shifts.

Just a quick question: Can you advise where to top up the hydrolic fluid on the 135i. I can only see what looks like the power steering fluid reservoir under the hood. Is everything run from here?

Mad Chemist.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
17
Rep
361
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

iTrader: (0)

The Brake and Clutch fluid are one so you top them both off at the Brake Fluid Resv. which is located under a panel at the back corner of the engine bay near the driver.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST