BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #45
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Well, here's a bit of trivia for ya.

Tip stands for To Insure Promptness.

That isn't true, sorry --

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.htm

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 11:28 AM   #46
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Honestly, that's really how it *should* work. The tip should be reserved for exceptional service, not accepted as part of subsidizing the restaurant paying crap wages to their employees. .... same with the damn 'all 5's' on the customer survey.

But the reality is that ain't gonna happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 12:05 PM   #47
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
Well, kiss my grits...

I guess I should've said "Legend has it..."

Seriously, that IS the popular belief among the service industry. I wonder how it became so widespread if false.

Now don't tell me I am wrong about
Fornication Under Consent of the King!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 12:05 PM   #48
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I just gave my X5 to service and requested a 5 series as a loaner. The service employee was happy to help me out and my brother gave him few free movie tickets. I thought it was a nice gesture since it's holidays and all...
      12-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #49
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Now don't tell me I am wrong about
Fornication Under Consent of the King!

sorry,

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/fuck.htm

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #50
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
In my university days I worked in hospitality. First as a waiter and then as a bartender. Where I worked we had quite a few regulars. Some tipped, and some didn't. Like it or not, those that tipped always got better/quicker service from myself and the other people I worked with. I was never rude or anything, but say two people came up to the bar at the same time, one tips and one doesn't, I of course would always serve the person who tips first. We would even point out to the new staff who tipped (as well as what they liked etc) and who didn't.

Now, of course I don't condone tipping when service is horrible (and if I don't tip, I will always endeavour to explain why). But if you've had a decent time, then why no show your appreciation? In a sense, tipping is like recognition. Here's a few bucks to say thanks. Is it really going to break the bank?

Also, I cringe when I hear someone getting obnoxiously pissed off with a waiter/waitress etc. There was this one place where this yuppie punk was verbally laying into a waitress for some stupid reason at the table next to me (I can't remember what it was, only that it was incredibly stupid) and so I put him in his place quick smart. He was feeling pretty sheepish when I was done with him. On the flip side, the waitress was basically falling over herself making sure we had everything we wanted. Lambasting someone because of bad service is not going to help things. It's going to do the opposite. They're not going to think "Oh, that guy is pissed off so I should do a better job". They're going to think "Jerk! Who the hell does he think he is?!". There are ways of dealing with people, and unfortunately, some people just don't know how. Bar them throwing food at you or something along those lines, there should be no reason to yell at someone or abuse them. Would they come into your office and yell at you? No. So why are you going to theirs and yelling at them? If your food is a little cold, kindly point it out and ask for it to be heated up. If you're given the wrong thing, nicely point it out or better yet (and I sometimes do this) mention that it's not what you ordered but it looks good and you'll have it anyway. If service is a little slow, make a joke out it. Chances are, it's probably pretty busy and they're being asked a million things at once. A little joke will relax the person who is serving you and you will be treated much better than everyone else. Basically, if you act like an a**hole, you will be treated like one!

One last thing. I took this cue from an uncle of mine. Whenever I go out with someone important (business wise, or even dates with the wife), I find out who will be looking after us. Then I approach him or her, hand over a certain amount of money (here I give anywhere between €10 and €50 depending on the location, the importance, and how much I plan on spending) and ask him or her to really look after us for the evening. I also mention that there will be more at the end and how much depends on the service. When I've done that, I have never ever received bad service. Whoever I'm with (except the wife, because she knows now) always comments on the excellent service. I just smile.

Sorry for the long post, but this thread brought back a lot of memories.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #51
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I always give 20% at restaurants unless the service was bad. Then I give between 10%-15%.
At the hair salon, I usually tip 40%.
40%?? woah, can i cut your hair? so if its $100 you pay $140?? that a little outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #52
lxapilot118
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i + SC Mustang

Quote:
Do you realize that many servers only make $4 or $5 an hour without tips?
I've always seen $2.13 per hour as standard. However, are you aware that if servers don't make enough in tips, their employers are required by law to make up the difference to ensure at least minimum wage?
      12-20-2005, 03:58 PM   #53
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
These people work their asses off for an incredibly low wage. Tips are essential to their income - not just a nice extra.
This thread on Plastic from November turned into a wonderful, detailed debate about tipping:
Stirring Up The Stroller Set
It starts getting good around here
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 04:31 PM   #54
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
It's not like I get the same server and I rarely eat out. Why should I tip if they don't deserve it? The restaurant should be providing them with an income source, not me.

When I DO tip, it's 30%+. Hell, if they are super awesome, then I'll go 50%+.

that is so cheap not to tip, doesn't your girlfriend get sick when she sees that, or does she put down some money of her own when your not looking?

A lot of restaurants take a certain percentage of a server's tips at the end of the night based on the percentage of food they've sold to pay out the bus boys, dishwashers, and cooks, so if they average at 10% and the restaurant takes 6% for the various staff that server is actually only making 4% which = Sh*t.

I dunno i guess if you've never worked in the service industry you can't appreciate the hard work they do.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #55
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloso5
So is it customary to tip a service advisor at a BMW dealership in Egypt?
"service advisor" appears to be of higher ranking than I originally though. I thought they were just the highest order of mechanics and was not aware that they were on the managerial side. (English is my 3rd language..been 3 years in US..21 years old..)

My question was indirectly asking "how high on the corporate ladder is a service advisor??" From then I could figure out if a tip was needed or not. Thanks all for clearing this out ...

So, to answer your question, it would be on the insulting side to tip the BMW service advisor in Egypt. But I never got the chance to visit BMW in cairo, so I wouldn't have known. (chaufer usually takes the 7'er for maintenance )

As a matter of fact, the apt maintenance dude just left my apt (plumbing issue) a few minutes ago...there was another battle in my head "tip or no tip"...I ended up offering him juice
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #56
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by db17k
I dunno i guess if you've never worked in the service industry you can't appreciate the hard work they do.
Achhhhh...every waitress I've ever hit on and asked out has turned me down, so when I go to a place and I get her again, I don't feel so bad about not tipping. It's funny, though...everytime I go out to a restaurant, the food always seems to taste a bit different than it should. I can't put my finger on it, but it's different....

Just kidding. I ALWAYS tip, good or bad service, for that very reason. If you do hit the same number often, the waitresses will eventually recognize you, and you wouldn't want your food messed with.

And for the record, I have gone out with a waitress once :rocks: It turned out to be a disaster, but that's another story.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #57
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
that is so cheap not to tip, doesn't your girlfriend get sick when she sees that, or does she put down some money of her own when your not looking?

A lot of restaurants take a certain percentage of a server's tips at the end of the night based on the percentage of food they've sold to pay out the bus boys, dishwashers, and cooks, so if they average at 10% and the restaurant takes 6% for the various staff that server is actually only making 4% which = Sh*t.

You just don't get it, do you? If they put in the effort, they will get tipped. But why should I pay extra for someone "just doing their job?" Hopefully, I'll never HAVE to work in the service industry.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #58
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Hopefully, I'll never HAVE to work in the service industry.
Well I think that's just it. Most people who have never worked in the service industry have a completely different view point from those that have and will never quite see it the same way. There are of course the exceptions.

Now as I said in my last post, in no way should bad service be tipped. That's a given and I think everyone will basically agree. But then I had another thought. It's not our place to tell anyone to tip, whether here on the forum or 'in the real world'. If you don't want to tip then by all means don't (especially if you go to a place regularily). If you're happy with getting mediocre service, if you like being seen to last, if you like seeing people order their food after you yet somehow getting it before you, if you like getting short-changed on your drinks, then of course no tip is ever necessary.

Personally, I like good service and if I have to pay a little extra (or a lot extra for out-of-this-world service) I'm willing to do so. If I want to be treated like cattle, I'll go to McDonald's.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #59
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
Well I think that's just it. Most people who have never worked in the service industry have a completely different view point from those that have and will never quite see it the same way. There are of course the exceptions.

Now as I said in my last post, in no way should bad service be tipped. That's a given and I think everyone will basically agree. But then I had another thought. It's not our place to tell anyone to tip, whether here on the forum or 'in the real world'. If you don't want to tip then by all means don't (especially if you go to a place regularily). If you're happy with getting mediocre service, if you like being seen to last, if you like seeing people order their food after you yet somehow getting it before you, if you like getting short-changed on your drinks, then of course no tip is ever necessary.

Personally, I like good service and if I have to pay a little extra (or a lot extra for out-of-this-world service) I'm willing to do so. If I want to be treated like cattle, I'll go to McDonald's.
All of the things that you mentioned determine whether or not the server gets tipped. Unless you get the same server every single time you go to a restaurant, how will a tip that was given to one server at the previous visit, guarantee great service another time around with a different server? Do you tip before the bill comes or something?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 07:27 PM   #60
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
All of the things that you mentioned determine whether or not the server gets tipped. Unless you get the same server every single time you go to a restaurant, how will a tip that was given to one server at the previous visit, guarantee great service another time around with a different server? Do you tip before the bill comes or something?
Because believe it or not, the staff do talk to each other. I'm sure times haven't changed since I was working in the service industry. If I recognised a tipper from a previous visit, I would mention it to whoever is looking after them. I would also mention if I recognised someone who doesn't tip.

And if you read my previous post (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=50 ), you will see that on some occasions, I tip twice. Once at the beginning, and again at the end.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #61
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoo085
Because believe it or not, the staff do talk to each other. I'm sure times haven't changed since I was working in the service industry. If I recognised a tipper from a previous visit, I would mention it to whoever is looking after them. I would also mention if I recognised someone who doesn't tip.

And if you read my previous post (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=50 ), you will see that on some occasions, I tip twice. Once at the beginning, and again at the end.
I guess I'll move to Europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #62
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
You going to bring me my food? I'll double the tip because you're an E90Post member (and claim it as 'entertainment expenses').

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #63
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
or Japan, they don't tip either. :finger:

I'm just mess'n

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #64
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
or Japan, they don't tip either. :finger:

I'm just mess'n
? I was referring to the fact that the tip is included.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2005, 09:56 PM   #65
drednik
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

So, waiters don't get a guaranteed minimum wage (I think it's $8.50 in Canada)?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #66
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

If you feel the need to tip anyone or you have way too much cash on hand and would like to give it out, tip me (J/k)....
Appreciate 0