E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Test your BMW Assist SOS button... before it's too late...

11-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

Test your BMW Assist SOS button... before it's too late...

My BMW assist SOS button worked fine just fine about 5 months ago when I first got my car and set up the service. But I haven't used it since then, so I thought I'd check it out before heading out on a Thanksgiving road trip.... Unfortunately, I found out that it doesn't work... I push the button, the light (next to the button turns green), after about 30 seconds, a blue screen appears on the iDrive screen with my current location saying that "emergency call in progress" (or something like that). After about 2 minutes I get an error screen that says "Data Transmission Fault, Call Failed".

Fortunately, I found out before I needed the service for an emergency... But I sure would hate to have discovered this service didn't work DURING an emergency!!!!

Anyhoo, I plan to get the car serviced soon, but I just thought I'd give you all a heads-up to test out the service before you need it for real...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

also we should all try 911 just to see if it still works
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
Damn, and I thought I was sarcastic!

Steply - have you had the post-September software update done? There is a high rate of telematic control unit failures after the updates are performed. This is the unit that allows your data and position to be transmitted to BMW Assist. In either event, you should notify your SA and demand HIGH PRIORITY for a fix (a casual mention of something about safety on a trip, and legal liability might get their attention). If you did have the update performed, you need to strongly admonish them for not testing a known high percentage problem! And then give them all 1's when they call for your service ratings.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
packetninja
Rep
Drives: 06 330i silver/blk

Quote:
Steply - have you had the post-September software update done? There is a high rate of telematic control unit failures after the updates are performed. This is the unit that allows your data and position to be transmitted to BMW Assist.
absolutely...i had the exact same problem and luckily checked my SOS button. I hate when people make assinine statements.

Good tip Steply i think some may not know of the failures yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Quote:
There is a substantial difference between 911 and BMW's SOS network.

The 911 network is government mandated, designed for extremely high reliability, has multiple fault tolerances built in, is impeccably maintained and generally has a reputation for working extremely well.

The BMW SOS system is propritary, offers no mandated quality of service, relies on relatively new technology and has multiple failure points without much in the way of backup. Furthermore, I don't believe there is a way for vehicle owners to test the system without just hitting the button and making a call.

I would hit the button and make sure it worked as part of a checklist of things to look into before a long roadtrip... I am sure the BMW SOS network is not satuated with calls like 911.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

I have yet to push my button to test... but I did update the service info and that worked fine si I think that may be a way of testing without pushing the button.... not sure any thoughts?
Best of luck and safe trip!
      11-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Steply
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i Graphite

Actually, the SOS button is not just for emergencies -- you can also use it for BMW Concierge service and (so I was told by BMW) you are supposed to use the BMW SOS button if you want traffic info (as it sends your current location to BMW)... As car companies continue to market this type of service (such as GM's Onstar), I think people are more likely to expect it to be highly reliable, therefore I wanted to give people a heads-up to let them know that it might not be...

To answer other peoples' questions: I got my car back in mid-June and have not had the September software update yet... I've not had any other communications problems (in fact I have been impressed how well the bluetooth has worked with 2 phones I have used). The button worked fine the first couple times I used it (when I picked up my car they told me to use the SOS button to contact bmw to set up BMW Assist and a few days later I used it to ask a representative a few more questions about the service.

Anyhoo - the point is, the SOS button is not just for emergencies - so test away!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steply
Actually, the SOS button is not just for emergencies -- you can also use it for BMW Concierge service and (so I was told by BMW) you are supposed to use the BMW SOS button if you want traffic info (as it sends your current location to BMW)... As car companies continue to market this type of service (such as GM's Onstar), I think people are more likely to expect it to be highly reliable, therefore I wanted to give people a heads-up to let them know that it might not be...

To answer other peoples' questions: I got my car back in mid-June and have not had the September software update yet... I've not had any other communications problems (in fact I have been impressed how well the bluetooth has worked with 2 phones I have used). The button worked fine the first couple times I used it (when I picked up my car they told me to use the SOS button to contact bmw to set up BMW Assist and a few days later I used it to ask a representative a few more questions about the service.

Anyhoo - the point is, the SOS button is not just for emergencies - so test away!

I agree. The SOS button is not limited to emergencies.

Hell...Even the BMW Assist motto is "Give it a Try! Push the SOS Button" (http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/9...efit_FINAL.pdf)

Last edited by nabutes; 11-21-2005 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

My cell phone will do just fine........
      11-20-2005, 11:38 PM   #10
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I haven't really gotten and update since I got my car but I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!
      11-21-2005, 04:07 AM   #11
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Say, who actually provides BMW's Assist service? Is it basically a BMW branded OnStar setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 04:15 AM   #12
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I just realized SOS button is free for first year.
I am going to start pushing the button everyday.
bmw assist: Thank you for contacting BMW assist, how can I help you?
me: I am hungry, what should I eat?

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #13
siriusinvestor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1989 Ugo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

ward - I fell off my chair when I read that one!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y
My cell phone will do just fine........
Let me know how that works for you when you are unconcious.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #15
afocoryw20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 + 325xi

Garage List
2006 325XI  [0.00]
2005 X3  [0.00]
1990 Mercedes Benz ...  [0.00]
Thanks for the info.....very important to make sure it works! Nice post!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 08:39 AM   #16
hunt55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Thanks for the reminder! After a day of reprogramming my car while working on a bluetooth issue, I just happened to call BMW assist while traveling to find out the traffic and weather in a city. To my suprise BMW Assist could not identify me and could not locate my car on GPS. They confirmed that in an emergancy, the car would have contacted BMW assist but could not locate the vehicle, so BMW assist would not be able to send out emergancy personnel without talking directly to the occupants in the car to obtrain location and vehicle information. The dealer had not reenabled the assist program after reprogramming the car. Checking the car menu, there was no vehicle information in the assist program. It just required hitting the renabled button under "assist" in the menu.

So definitely check it after service or from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 10:08 AM   #17
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I just tried it last night, worked just fine. I have CIP 19.2
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #18
StevenT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

I finally got around to activating my telematic service about 4 weeks after getting my xi. Tried to activate several times, but failed each time. Turns out the unit is bad, as the car is communicating no data to the service. Just voice works.

Now have an appointment to take the car in for inspection and reprogramming of the unit, or possible replacement of the unit, in about 3 weeks (the fastest they could get me in and give me a loaner vehicle). I have to say I'm not confident with BMW quality control. The car first had to go in for a malfunctioning voice control (never worked, should have been caught by the manufacturer at final inspection).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
StevenT - I would ask for a paid extension to my BMW Assist, since it has never worked. I would also remind the SA that I wanted that option for safety, and how much liability they are willing to accept if you're in an accident without it working? It really annoys me that they drag their feet on this. It's not like your CD player isn't working...

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #20
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

This is one of the reasons why I really didn't want premium package, because I didn't want BMW Assist (onstar) bundled in. A buddy of mine ended up having to lemon law his Merc because it turned out Onstar is tied into just about every system in that car (E500). Onstar would malfunction when he pressed the button and then it would light up his ABS/Airbag and traction control lights. He wasn't taking the chance that it was just a glitch because when those lights came on, he verified multiple times that ABS and traction control was indeed disabled.

Car was fine if he never pressed the button ... but he wasn't willing to live with that risk.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #21
KMA
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X6M,'07 M6Conv,'18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Say, who actually provides BMW's Assist service? Is it basically a BMW branded OnStar setup?
Not sure, but I do know they "share" with other companies... as when my CA and I called when I picked up the car, the BMW Assist operator said, "Congratulations on your new Mercedes!" I said, thanks, but this is a BMW. He said his computer was coming up with the wrong make... which suggests one company/call center handles many makes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #22
NaTuReB0Y