BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Trying to have my new winter tires CORRECTLY mounted on my OEM 262 wheels

So I bought a brand new set of Dunlop SP 3D winter at the Tire Rack with the intention to have them mounted on my OEM staggered 262 wheels (since I have the car for only 3 years I was not intending to buy a second set of rims).

THe first shop I went told me there was no way to remove the Standard Run Flat without damaging them. Gill at the tire rack confirmed to me it should not be the case if the shop knows what they do so I went to another shop where they confirmed they could do it. I dropped the car yesterday and when I picked it up yesterday noticed that they mounted the 2 x 205 tires on the left side and the 2 x 225 tires on the right side!!!!

I went back this morning and they changed it but then a doubt did strike me : what if they did mount the tires on the wrong rims? I went back to the shop where they re-assured me they did put the right tires on the right rims at the right place.
I make my 30 miles commute in the storm that strikes Chicago and arrive to the office and just for having piece of mind, I measure the width of the rims and bingo : the 2 rims on the left side are 7.0" and the 2 rims on the right side are 7.5", arghhhhh.

Result, I will be good to go a third time to have it fixed.

Has anyone a good suggestion for a good tire shop in the Chicagoland area (I am in the Naperville area but I don't mind driving a while for finding a shop I can trust)?
      10-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Um first off, DEMAND all money paid to the shop returned, if not than offer that or a serious note to the BBB against their shop. That sounds rediculous, and ive had some pretty lame random shop experiences in my life so far.
Appreciate 0