BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

TPMS compatibility issue

I installed some 18" 219M wheels today that came from a 2008 M3. I expected TPMS incompatibility but no warning light came on. When I attempted to reset the TPMS, the dashboard display read: "ACTIVE."

The reason I'm posting is because I was planning to get 2011 TPMS modules installed today, but ... now I'm not sure I even need to spend the $?

Any ideas or experience is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Why don't you deflate one of the tires to see if it is working properly?

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

It may take some time for it to kick in. I did the same thing and for some weird reason it took three days before it went to inactive.

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
It may take some time for it to kick in. I did the same thing and for some weird reason it took three days before it went to inactive.
No, it should not. When I had my SW updated... I wanted to see the new TPMS icon show which tire was low. As soon as I deflated the tire a few psi (maybe 10 psi ?) and I started the car... the TPMS icon came on. I did not even have to drive the car!

Maybe the 1M uses the old TPMS system? I know from Sept/'10 (2011 M.Y.) 135i model cars... BMW changed the TPMS freq. Sounds like you are good to go - with the TPMS you have in your "new" (used) set of wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Why don't you deflate one of the tires to see if it is working properly?
^+1. This is what I would try first.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

That's what I thought too but I drove on them for about 30-40miles before anything popped up on the dash. I had the TPMS' swapped with the original 2010+ ones that came with the car, and the ones removed were definitely the older 07-09 ones. Both old and new sensors were marked as running on 433Mhz.

FWIW my car was an 08/2011 production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No, it should not. When I had my SW updated... I wanted to see the new TPMS icon show which tire was low. As soon as I deflated the tire a few psi (maybe 10 psi ?) and I started the car... the TPMS icon came on. I did not even have to drive the car!

Maybe the 1M uses the old TPMS system? I know from Sept/'10 (2011 M.Y.) 135i model cars... BMW changed the TPMS freq. Sounds like you are good to go - with the TPMS you have in your "new" (used) set of wheels.

Dack

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
It may take a few minutes and maybe longer if your other TPMS sensors are close by. When I'm at the track and swap to my track wheels, the inactive message does not appear until I've left the paddock and am on the track.

So the bottom line is make sure your car is not reading your old sensors and reset your TPMS.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I called the dealership and they told me that if after resetting the TPMS that it read "ACTIVE" then the sensors were compatible.

It turns out that I didn't actually reset things by keeping the button selector held down. When I did that, then it just kept reading "RESETTING" in addition to displaying the TPMS warning light.

I had the new sensors installed and the light went out.

I just found it odd that it wouldn't tell you right away.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo
It may take a few minutes and maybe longer if your other TPMS sensors are close by. When I'm at the track and swap to my track wheels, the inactive message does not appear until I've left the paddock and am on the track.

So the bottom line is make sure your car is not reading your old sensors and reset your TPMS.
My track tires do not have sensors. It definitely can take one or even more sessions for the system to recognize that my street wheels are not on the car. I suppose parking next to the wheels also helps with the confusion.
Appreciate 0