BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Door handle question

Hi. I have a quick question about comfort access door handles. If I wanted to replace only the door pull (see below,) rather than the whole unit with the electronic board, do I still need the door pulls with the little lines that indicate comfort access? I've taken these pulls off of my car before, and I didn't notice any actual electrical connection between the pull and the unit it attaches to. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I recently did some research on this, as my driver side comfort access isn't working.

As far as I can tell, the pictured pull portion is the part that contains the CA sensor. The other, smaller part that houses the key lock cylinder and has the grooves on it, is just a cover.

Therefore, if you want the CA to work, you need the CA version of the door pull (there are versions with and without CA).

Unfortunately, the CA ones aren't cheap - around $200 IIRC (painted).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Hi. I have a quick question about comfort access door handles. If I wanted to replace only the door pull (see below,) rather than the whole unit with the electronic board, do I still need the door pulls with the little lines that indicate comfort access? I've taken these pulls off of my car before, and I didn't notice any actual electrical connection between the pull and the unit it attaches to. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I recently did some research on this, as my driver side comfort access isn't working.

As far as I can tell, the pictured pull portion is the part that contains the CA sensor. The other, smaller part that houses the key lock cylinder and has the grooves on it, is just a cover.

Therefore, if you want the CA to work, you need the CA version of the door pull (there are versions with and without CA).

Unfortunately, the CA ones aren't cheap - around $200 IIRC (painted).
CA is indeed integrated into the pull itself. The lock mechanism only houses the lock itself and the puddle lights if you have them. The door pull has an electrical connection in the forward part.

duder13 if you're just looking for a color change wrapping is your best bet.

Cavpilot2k check the connection and see if it's loose this actually happened to me randomly without the door pull having ever been removed. The connection wasn't "clipped" and the pins were just barely attached when I pulled it apart. Also, you can try swapping your passenger side to the driver side (just connect the wires) to make sure it's the pull and not something else.
duder13767.00
      11-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post

Cavpilot2k check the connection and see if it's loose this actually happened to me randomly without the door pull having ever been removed. The connection wasn't "clipped" and the pins were just barely attached when I pulled it apart. Also, you can try swapping your passenger side to the driver side (just connect the wires) to make sure it's the pull and not something else.
I hadn't thought of that - great point. If it is simply disconnected inside, that could save me from buying a $280 part!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
CA is indeed integrated into the pull itself. The lock mechanism only houses the lock itself and the puddle lights if you have them. The door pull has an electrical connection in the forward part.

duder13 if you're just looking for a color change wrapping is your best bet.

Thanks, I ha a feeling that was the case. I actually did wrap it, but it split, and I wasn't that thrilled with how it looked, anyways, so I didn't get it redone.
Appreciate 0