BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Question Lets talk labor cost

So my parts are starting to pile up in my home..I have these so far...
M3 rear subframe bushings
M3 rear guide rods
M3 upper link arm upgrade
M3 upper lower control arm kit
My next purchase will be either coil overs or the koni yellows with some springs
Now I have an idea on how much this will cost to install,my question is I'm itching to put an LSD in the rear how much more money in labor will this cost me?(cars an auto with bolted diff)
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Without the LSD, 13 hours of labor is reasonable based on several quotes I obtained, plus the alignment. If you require corner balancing with your coilovers, expect to pay a little more. Some shops will remove the entire rear subframe, exhaust, differential, etc. in order to press out the rear subframe bushings. That will be the time to also install the LSD. This would also be the time to do a rear sway bar.

Not sure how much they would charge for an LSD, but I've seen quotes of 4-6 hours on its own for a complete final drive. More if it's not a complete final drive.

Check this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=390596&page=2

Last edited by vantagesc; 04-24-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

In short...an ass load of money
Let's low ball the estimate with 12 hrs * $100/hr = $1200

EDIT: I'm doing my suspension upgrade in reverse, I'm saving the labor costs and then buying the upgraded components. I realize its semantics, but it's a fresh view point not many take.

Last edited by MLSavage; 04-24-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea I got quoted for all that plus corner balancing (no LSD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Without the LSD, 13 hours of labor is reasonable based on several quotes I obtained, plus the alignment. If you require corner balancing with your coilovers, expect to pay a little more. Some shops will remove the entire rear subframe, exhaust, differential, etc. in order to press out the rear subframe bushings. That will be the time to also install the LSD. This would also be the time to do a rear sway bar.

Not sure how much they would charge for an LSD, but I've seen quotes of 4-6 hours on its own for a complete final drive. More if it's not a complete final drive.

Check this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=390596&page=2
For 1200
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ass load is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSavage View Post
In short...an ass load of money
Let's low ball the estimate with 12 hrs * $100/hr = $1200

EDIT: I'm doing my suspension upgrade in reverse, I'm saving the labor costs and [i]then]/i] buying the upgraded components. I realize its semantics, but it's a fresh view point not many take.
How long till you start buying parts?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
How long till you start buying parts?
It will be awhile
I just finished my immediate impact and cheap mods which were BMW SSK, M Steering wheel, 1M mirrors, non-RFTs.

I'm doing exactly what you're doing with upgrading to M components. The only difference I see is that I will have everything [coilover or spring/damper as well] before I go to the shop to reduce labor cost as much as possible. Basically I won't buy anything until I have (I'll take a guess and say) $8k for parts. The plan is in place, I just have to wait for my bank account to cooperate.
      04-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah I'm most likely holding off on install till I have it all sorted out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSavage View Post
It will be awhile
I just finished my immediate impact and cheap mods which were BMW SSK, M Steering wheel, 1M mirrors, non-RFTs.

I'm doing exactly what you're doing with upgrading to M components. The only difference I see is that I will have everything [coilover or spring/damper as well] before I go to the shop to reduce labor cost as much as possible. Basically I won't buy anything until I have (I'll take a guess and say) $8k for parts. The plan is in place, I just have to wait for my bank account to cooperate.
One day
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
lovelogic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Convertible

Here's a cool video I saw on YouTube showing the process that goes into
making a LSD.

I thought it was cool to watch.

It seems like with all the money you would spend on making your car perform like a 1M or M3, it might be cheaper in the long run to just enjoy your car until you can afford to buy a factory-setup car.

I admire people who mod their cars, as for me, I just can't swallow the cost and additional cost modifying your car when you try to sell someone a modded car.

LSD would be a dream though... The one thing I really miss from my MX-5...
It's a crime it's not a factory option for every BMW. If the new 3 series with the turbo 4 had one, that car would be reedonkulus. Lightweight, revvy and traction! HELLO
Appreciate 0