E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Test Drive: IS350 vs 330xi

12-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
eleven24
Foppa!
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35i

Test Drive: IS350 vs 330xi

Currently I'm the driver of a 2000 328i sedan, before that a 1998 323ic. Obviously, I'm a BMW guy. Over the past 2 weeks I've been shopping for a new car, and it came down to two choices, the IS350 or the 330xi. (Yes AWD)

I realize the comparison between the 330xi and the IS350 isn't exactly pitting BMW's best handling car against Lexus' top end model. It's just that in the Northeast, where I live, AWD is a plus. Prior to these test drives I drove the IS250 AWD and it is truly an uninspiring, soul-less car. That left the 300hp IS350.

That being said, here are my opinions on both cars after driving them within hours of each other. Luckily, both salesmen really let me put each car through it's paces so I really got a good feel for each.

Lexus IS350
My Lexus salesman was very well versed on the IS, as well as the BMW. In fact, he flat out told me that I shouldn't even consider the IS250 AWD if I want a car that is fun to drive. Ironically, the man trying to sell me a Lexus was the driver of a BMW. Moving on...

Out came the IS350 demo. This car was a base model, but was a visually stunning Matador Red Mica (candy apple red) with an interior I wish came with the BMW in the States. Lexus calls it Sterling, BMW calls it Lemon. VERY nice.

Comfort in the IS was exceptional and felt a bit more driver-centric. Everything was well within reach, and the seats were extremely comfortable. The NAV system in the IS is absolutely, without question superior to the iDrive system. Voice recognition works flawlessly as one can say "I'm Hungry" and the NAV will bring up restaruants nearby. Speaking "Italian" will further filter the list. Very cool. The voice recognition doesn't stop there - you can also say phrases like "seventy-two degrees" and the system will adjust the temp accordingly. One other nice interior feature was the air-cooled seats. They work like an air hockey table, as cool air gets pushed through the tiny holes in the leather. VERY nice for a summer day!

While I appreciate the electronics technology (which is amazing), I buy a car to drive. The IS350 is certainly a fun car to drive, but in a totally different manner than a BMW.

Push down on the pedal of the IS350 and you immediately know this car has power. It lept forward, possibly due to my infamiliarity with the touch of the pedals. Once moving, we headed down a bumpy road and the IS soaked up every bump. Certainly, this car is about isolating the driver (and occupants) from the outside world.

In one review the primary safety feature in the IS, or VDIM, is accused of "Robbing FUN to pay SAFETY". This was a primary concern of mine as I really like DRIVING my car & I don't want electronics kicking in and taking over.

Heading onto the highway was a large "S" shaped ramp, with the second curve covered with water from the melting snow. I carved through these turns at 60mph with relative ease. VDIM did not kick in at all; however, the IS demonstrated A LOT of body roll. The salesman said that the sport package, which sits 1/2" lower and rides on 18"s would eliminate some of that - but not all.

Once we jumped on the highway, I found another meaning behind "fun to drive". This thing takes off like a rocket. Without question, it has more straight ahead power than the BMW. Even when already cruising at 70mph, I hit the gas again and in a flash we were up to 85. Even as I backed off the gas, I still had the feeling that this car wanted to go even faster. Feeling more confident with the car, I took the exit ramp a bit more aggressive than the entry ramp. I was more than impressed at the handling, and can honestly say I have no idea why VDIM is so maligned. It didn't take over once, and I really pushed the car.

Overall, the IS350 is certainly an elite car. It is FAR from a glorified Toyota, and in fact may steal a lot of people looking at a 3-series. This car is geared towards driver comfort and straight ahead speed. It also handles very well, although not anywhere near that of a BMW.

BMW 330ix
I must say that after driving my 328i Sport for 5 years I was expecting a less than enthusiastic experience in the AWD 330ix w/standard suspension. Five years ago I had no kids, and today I do.

The demo model was a 330ix with Premium and iDrive.

Getting in the car, my first impression was how different it was than the IS. There is certainly a minimal approach to German styling, especially in comparison to the Japanese designed Lexus. The placement of the navigation screen (iDrive) is in a much better location versus the Lexus. By this I mean it sits on the same plane as the instrument cluster, and your eyes only have to move horizontal to view the screen. That being said, the screen is much smaller than the one on the Lexus. Both systems have a voice activated feature operated via a steering wheel button (Ironically, both use the same icon to denote the button). In this case, the Lexus navigation is much more comprehensive, and easier to use. Still, I found the BMW's iDrive to be very easy to use, contrary to published reports.

Comfort wise, the IS wins again. The seats in the BMW were definately an improvement over that of my current 328, but the IS was much softer and supportive. The model I drove did not include the sport package, which has the more comfortable seats, but these were more than adequate. Sitting in the rear of the 330ix is much easier than in the IS. I am 6'1" and I had plenty of room to sit in the back of the BMW, whereas the IS was a bit more cramped. One nice feature the 330ix had was rear vents with separate fan controls -- this is a nice addition that my 3 year old son would certainly benefit by.

Onto the test drive.

Unlike the IS, a key is inserted into a rectangular slot in the dash. When this key is inserted, the push start is operational. The optional $500 comfort access allows the same operation of the start button, as well as unlocking of the doors as the IS. Just keep the key in your pocket and push to start.

Starting off, this car has much more power than my 328. It didn't have as much jump off of the line as the IS350 though, but still had tremendous get up and go. Our BMW salesman had us take the car through an industrial park as it had many twists and turns. If the Lexus could be described as smooth and silky through the turns, the BMW could be described as aggressive and responsive. Similarly, as the IS seemed as if it wanted to go faster on the highway, the BMW was begging for more through the turns.

The sensory feel of the car was also different. In the IS there is barely any perception that you are driving a car. In the 330ix, the gentle vibration in the steering wheel lets one feel the engine's power. It also twists and turns with little body roll. There is certainly a connection with the car and the road in the 330ix, which was not present in the Lexus.

I was expecting degraded handling in the 330ix compared to my 328i sport - due to the AWD suspension. Surprisingly, I was wrong. Even with stock tires, the BMW was glued to every turn.

Jumping on the highway the BMW quickly revs through all 6 gears and brings you to top speed almost as fast as the IS350. Not knowing the 0-60 stats, I'd venture a guess that the IS350 is faster, but not by much. The 330ix definately has some power - it's just applied in a different way. Again, the IS350 gets you to top speed in a silky smooth manner, where the BMW is, for lack of a better term, more athletic.

Conclusion
My wife told me I shouldn't even bother driving any other car. She was right, because for me the BMW is the car of choice. The IS350 will certainly have it's niche, and it is a fun car to drive. I even suspect Lexus will steal away a few 3-series customers - although they will probably be the ones who have never really DRIVEN a BMW.

So it's settled. My order was placed for a 330ix in Black Sapphire with Terra interior, and every option except Active Cruise Control. I even opted for the 18" wheels (162's) with the Performance Tires. I Plan on selling my SSR GT3's w/Potenza S03's to buy snow wheels/tires. They only have 11k mi on them... anyone interested PM me.

I'm now off to stare at the progress of my car in the Owner's Circle.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #2
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Another Important Consideration

BMW includes maintenance. Lexus does not. Over a three year period this is an $1,500 advantage to the BMW. Lexus maintenance is relatively frequent and expensive.

I did a similar comparison as outlined in the original post. I would add the following.

1. The A-pillar is low compared to the BMW which restricts entry for a tall person.
2. Driver headroom is lower in the Lexus which is also problematic for a tall person.
3. Legroom is tigher in the rear seats in the Lexus compared to the BMW 3 er.
4. Cut line at the rear door/rear quarter panel is goofy on the Lexus.

In my opinion the BMW is the superior value if you after a true sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
ALM
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Prelude

Nice impartial review. Well done.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 08:29 AM   #4
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Can you get a Head-Up Display in the Lexus IS?

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Nice review :-)

BMW might not be the best in each segment, as you said...the nav in the Lexus was better...but after all - you did buy the car to drive it..and boy this BMW drives It's a very good allrounder...I'm thoroughly enjoying mine... more than my previous 325ti
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #6
Airboy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Some Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding
Another Important Consideration

BMW includes maintenance. Lexus does not. Over a three year period this is an $1,500 advantage to the BMW. Lexus maintenance is relatively frequent and expensive.
What kind of maintenance is there in the first three years besides oil and brake fluid change?
      12-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Casey 5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i,SPG,ZSP,ZPP,Step

My buddy made the same choice--test drove each 4 times!! Came away with a Black Sapphire 330i !!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #8
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Great review. Really enjoyed the read.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #9
dme330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Huracan, GT3, 66 GTO

Very well written. Once you've owned a BMW, it's easy to become hooked for life.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 07:38 PM   #10
YV1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325 354 LCSW ZSP ZPP ZCP

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
2006 X6  [0.00]
2000 Saab 9-3 SE  [0.00]
2001 GS 650  [0.00]
Does the Lexus come with a webpage like this one?
The best of BMW is what you can't see or feel at the dealer on a dirve test.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #11
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

nice review, throughly written.

15% tint all round
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 11:15 PM   #12
xdrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Yup! Great review. I ended up buying a 330xi.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #13
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Congrats on your order, nice write up! Your wife seems cool too!

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #14
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy
What kind of maintenance is there in the first three years besides oil and brake fluid change?
It's actually four years... They also covers ANY wear and tear items (minus tires of course) including brakes, belts, etc.... Anything that wears out they will replace, no questions asked, for free.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #15
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven24
Currently I'm the driver of a 2000 328i sedan, before that a 1998 323ic. Obviously, I'm a BMW guy. Over the past 2 weeks I've been shopping for a new car, and it came down to two choices, the IS350 or the 330xi. (Yes AWD)

I realize the comparison between the 330xi and the IS350 isn't exactly pitting BMW's best handling car against Lexus' top end model. It's just that in the Northeast, where I live, AWD is a plus. Prior to these test drives I drove the IS250 AWD and it is truly an uninspiring, soul-less car. That left the 300hp IS350.

That being said, here are my opinions on both cars after driving them within hours of each other. Luckily, both salesmen really let me put each car through it's paces so I really got a good feel for each.

Lexus IS350
My Lexus salesman was very well versed on the IS, as well as the BMW. In fact, he flat out told me that I shouldn't even consider the IS250 AWD if I want a car that is fun to drive. Ironically, the man trying to sell me a Lexus was the driver of a BMW. Moving on...

Out came the IS350 demo. This car was a base model, but was a visually stunning Matador Red Mica (candy apple red) with an interior I wish came with the BMW in the States. Lexus calls it Sterling, BMW calls it Lemon. VERY nice.

Comfort in the IS was exceptional and felt a bit more driver-centric. Everything was well within reach, and the seats were extremely comfortable. The NAV system in the IS is absolutely, without question superior to the iDrive system. Voice recognition works flawlessly as one can say "I'm Hungry" and the NAV will bring up restaruants nearby. Speaking "Italian" will further filter the list. Very cool. The voice recognition doesn't stop there - you can also say phrases like "seventy-two degrees" and the system will adjust the temp accordingly. One other nice interior feature was the air-cooled seats. They work like an air hockey table, as cool air gets pushed through the tiny holes in the leather. VERY nice for a summer day!

While I appreciate the electronics technology (which is amazing), I buy a car to drive. The IS350 is certainly a fun car to drive, but in a totally different manner than a BMW.

Push down on the pedal of the IS350 and you immediately know this car has power. It lept forward, possibly due to my infamiliarity with the touch of the pedals. Once moving, we headed down a bumpy road and the IS soaked up every bump. Certainly, this car is about isolating the driver (and occupants) from the outside world.

In one review the primary safety feature in the IS, or VDIM, is accused of "Robbing FUN to pay SAFETY". This was a primary concern of mine as I really like DRIVING my car & I don't want electronics kicking in and taking over.

Heading onto the highway was a large "S" shaped ramp, with the second curve covered with water from the melting snow. I carved through these turns at 60mph with relative ease. VDIM did not kick in at all; however, the IS demonstrated A LOT of body roll. The salesman said that the sport package, which sits 1/2" lower and rides on 18"s would eliminate some of that - but not all.

Once we jumped on the highway, I found another meaning behind "fun to drive". This thing takes off like a rocket. Without question, it has more straight ahead power than the BMW. Even when already cruising at 70mph, I hit the gas again and in a flash we were up to 85. Even as I backed off the gas, I still had the feeling that this car wanted to go even faster. Feeling more confident with the car, I took the exit ramp a bit more aggressive than the entry ramp. I was more than impressed at the handling, and can honestly say I have no idea why VDIM is so maligned. It didn't take over once, and I really pushed the car.

Overall, the IS350 is certainly an elite car. It is FAR from a glorified Toyota, and in fact may steal a lot of people looking at a 3-series. This car is geared towards driver comfort and straight ahead speed. It also handles very well, although not anywhere near that of a BMW.

BMW 330ix
I must say that after driving my 328i Sport for 5 years I was expecting a less than enthusiastic experience in the AWD 330ix w/standard suspension. Five years ago I had no kids, and today I do.

The demo model was a 330ix with Premium and iDrive.

Getting in the car, my first impression was how different it was than the IS. There is certainly a minimal approach to German styling, especially in comparison to the Japanese designed Lexus. The placement of the navigation screen (iDrive) is in a much better location versus the Lexus. By this I mean it sits on the same plane as the instrument cluster, and your eyes only have to move horizontal to view the screen. That being said, the screen is much smaller than the one on the Lexus. Both systems have a voice activated feature operated via a steering wheel button (Ironically, both use the same icon to denote the button). In this case, the Lexus navigation is much more comprehensive, and easier to use. Still, I found the BMW's iDrive to be very easy to use, contrary to published reports.

Comfort wise, the IS wins again. The seats in the BMW were definately an improvement over that of my current 328, but the IS was much softer and supportive. The model I drove did not include the sport package, which has the more comfortable seats, but these were more than adequate. Sitting in the rear of the 330ix is much easier than in the IS. I am 6'1" and I had plenty of room to sit in the back of the BMW, whereas the IS was a bit more cramped. One nice feature the 330ix had was rear vents with separate fan controls -- this is a nice addition that my 3 year old son would certainly benefit by.

Onto the test drive.

Unlike the IS, a key is inserted into a rectangular slot in the dash. When this key is inserted, the push start is operational. The optional $500 comfort access allows the same operation of the start button, as well as unlocking of the doors as the IS. Just keep the key in your pocket and push to start.

Starting off, this car has much more power than my 328. It didn't have as much jump off of the line as the IS350 though, but still had tremendous get up and go. Our BMW salesman had us take the car through an industrial park as it had many twists and turns. If the Lexus could be described as smooth and silky through the turns, the BMW could be described as aggressive and responsive. Similarly, as the IS seemed as if it wanted to go faster on the highway, the BMW was begging for more through the turns.

The sensory feel of the car was also different. In the IS there is barely any perception that you are driving a car. In the 330ix, the gentle vibration in the steering wheel lets one feel the engine's power. It also twists and turns with little body roll. There is certainly a connection with the car and the road in the 330ix, which was not present in the Lexus.

I was expecting degraded handling in the 330ix compared to my 328i sport - due to the AWD suspension. Surprisingly, I was wrong. Even with stock tires, the BMW was glued to every turn.

Jumping on the highway the BMW quickly revs through all 6 gears and brings you to top speed almost as fast as the IS350. Not knowing the 0-60 stats, I'd venture a guess that the IS350 is faster, but not by much. The 330ix definately has some power - it's just applied in a different way. Again, the IS350 gets you to top speed in a silky smooth manner, where the BMW is, for lack of a better term, more athletic.

Conclusion
My wife told me I shouldn't even bother driving any other car. She was right, because for me the BMW is the car of choice. The IS350 will certainly have it's niche, and it is a fun car to drive. I even suspect Lexus will steal away a few 3-series customers - although they will probably be the ones who have never really DRIVEN a BMW.

So it's settled. My order was placed for a 330ix in Black Sapphire with Terra interior, and every option except Active Cruise Control. I even opted for the 18" wheels (162's) with the Performance Tires. I Plan on selling my SSR GT3's w/Potenza S03's to buy snow wheels/tires. They only have 11k mi on them... anyone interested PM me.

I'm now off to stare at the progress of my car in the Owner's Circle.

Thanks for this excellent review. I test drove both the Lexus IS250 AWD and the IS350. I concur with you on practically every point. I thought the Lexus cars were very nice and plush, especially the IS350 with all that power. In a comparison though the BMW really does clearly emerge as the better handling car and just has a much more confident feel sitting behind the wheel. It really does seem to become an extension of the driver, a quality non of the Japanese automakers have been able to match so far. I ordered a 330xi in Ti AG with everything but the active cruise. I'm also getting the 162 18's.

Maybe you can help settle the debate over 330i vs 330xi. LOL
Appreciate 0