BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Finally!!!

Yes, another one of those "I got my car" threads (but hey the good news is that there shouldn't be that many more of those threads from now on ).

After putting a deposit on it in the first week of March, spending months reading those forums, worrying about getting that allocation and hounding the BMW salesperson I was dealing with on a regular basis. After thinking a couple months ago that it was all lost. After having to up my specs from a pretty much stripped car to a loaded car with a few options in order to make sure that my spot in the waiting list wasn't somehow going to be given to someone else that was willing to pay a large markup (got it at MSRP in the Bay Area from a local dealer). After boring my poor wife for most of the year with talk and details about the car...

I finally took delivery of it this evening and wow! It's everything I expected and more ... still worth the wait and all of the aggravation to get it, barely drove a few miles down a crowded freeway back home but I already completely love this thing.

Initial impressions are that it's going to be one very fast car, even in break-in period you can totally tell that. The gearbox has a little bit longer throw than I would like and a *tiny* bit more 'rubbery' than the S2000s I have been driving for the last 10 years but it's still a very good gearbox, the best one on any BMW that I have driven. Brakes also seem to be very powerful!

I also absolutely love how tight it feels, it feels tighter than the S2000 with Ohlins (expected) but at the same time feels lighter as well (that was unexpected), really well setup suspension IMHO and yet it rides even better than I expected (another unexpected, especially with those 19' wheels and the poor shape of the freeways and streets in the bay area).

I also really like the tactile feel of the BMW performance steering wheel. I still don't get that insistence on having flat bottomed steering wheels on a street car (on a kart or something else that has a very direct direction where you never do a full turn of the wheel, sure, but on a street car where you're going to do 90 degree corners? why?) but at least that flat bottom in not that pronounced on this wheel.

The car is BSM, with black grill trim, optional CF mirrors and performance steering wheel. So far I only have the customary delivery cell phone picture where you can see (poorly) the car and the dork on the side with a huge grin (that'd be me) which is not really worth sharing but I probably will take some reasonable pictures this week-end which I can post here if people want to see them.

The funny part was having to sign the form to acknowledge the 'no cooling off period when buying a new car in California' law where the guy was like: actually if you don't like the car after 2 days, don't worry bring it back anyways! ( )
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
Yes, another one of those "I got my car" threads
we love those!! Congrats, glad you like it that much

Quote:
... The car is BSM, with black grill trim, optional CF mirrors and performance steering wheel. So far I only have the customary delivery cell phone picture where you can see (poorly) the car and the dork on the side with a huge grin (that'd be me) which is not really worth sharing but I probably will take some reasonable pictures this week-end which I can post here if people want to see them. ...
Do post that picture for the "1M made me smile" records:

Provisional ranking:
1. M3Adjuster (BSM)
2. Buckeyegirl (BSM)
3. Could be you

Are AW and VO owners less happy or just more reserved about posting themselves smiling?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Congrats mate, look forward to seeing those new car pics ......
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Congrats OP Looking forward to pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Quote:
Yes, another one of those "I got my car" threads

Quote:
... The car is BSM, with black grill trim, optional CF mirrors and performance steering wheel. So far I only have the customary delivery cell phone picture where you can see (poorly) the car and the dork on the side with a huge grin (that'd be me) which is not really worth sharing but I probably will take some reasonable pictures this week-end which I can post here if people want to see them. ...

Provisional ranking:
1. M3Adjuster (BSM)
2. Buckeyegirl (BSM)
3. Could be you

Are AW and VO owners less happy or just more reserved about posting themselves smiling?
Dude we are too busy driving while you guys are too busy cleaning and taking pics before it gets dirty again

To the OP: congratulations...and you know the saying...pics or it didn't happen!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
dcb
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

Congrats jnm!!

I've had my BSM 1M for 6 days and I can't walk away from it without looking back at...which puts a huge grin on my face. Every time I approach it, same thing happens.

I hope you are as childishly happy with yours!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

Provisional ranking:
1. M3Adjuster (BSM)
2. Buckeyegirl (BSM)
3. Could be you

LOL! Bring the pics jnm.... I bet you can't knock me off the top....
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I've had my BSM 1M for 6 days and I can't walk away from it without looking back at...which puts a huge grin on my face. Every time I approach it, same thing happens.
I've had mine 6 months and this still happens every single day!

Congrats OP!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Dude we are too busy driving while you guys are too busy cleaning and taking pics before it gets dirty again
announcing a pic of you smiling while driving?

1M Fun Fact: You can even smile about owning a dirty one
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Beautiful man congrats.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Congrats! Most of us here know how hard it was to get this car and can appreciate what it feels like when you finally get it. My battle was over a couple of years between M3 and 1M, then a year trying to get one. Most people don't understand the stuff we go through to get these cars.

Very happy for you!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Congrats!!!
      12-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
+1

Congrats OP
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

I am envious. Mine has been at VPC since December 2nd and still waiting for a truck North. Supposedly will be here next week but we'll see. Mine is not BSM but VO. Decided to shake it up a bit as my X5M is BSM. It will look like Halloween in my garage..

Oh and I have to believe VO is the fastest..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Congrats !
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Congrats, bud! Welcome to the ridiculously awesome fun!

Quote:
Initial impressions are that it's going to be one very fast car, even in break-in period you can totally tell that. The gearbox has a little bit longer throw than I would like and a *tiny* bit more 'rubbery' than the S2000s I have been driving for the last 10 years but it's still a very good gearbox, the best one on any BMW that I have driven. Brakes also seem to be very powerful!
I definitely agree with this! Though my comparison is with an 05 TSX. Honda made a really, really superb gearbox during that run. But I can definitely appreciate the 1Ms.

Last edited by sergeremi; 12-15-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
smug01
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, '97 Land Cruiser

Congrats OP! I'm in the same boat as mswaz...waiting for mine to be delivered from VPC after arriving Dec. 2. I had the fortune of driving it for two weeks in October through Europe for ED...you will love it. I now have been without for two months today and can't stop obsessing over my re-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

Quote:

Provisional ranking:
1. M3Adjuster (BSM)
2. Buckeyegirl (BSM)
3. Could be you

We need to compile a bunch of our smile pictures! Perhaps BSM owners are more happy, possible reasons for this is that they musn't care about the dirt and therefore are ok/less type A about the paint color.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
DealMan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Congratulations and welcome to the Bay Area 1M ownership experience!