BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Catless DP and MHD Regarding Emissions Question

Hi everyone,

I'm really really confused... I've done a lot of research but I couldn't get a definitive answer. Some people say it will pass and some say to put the stock DP back in. I've searched in the AZ BMW group in facebook but no luck there too.

I'm curious as to whether installing a catless DP and flashing my car with MHD will let me pass emissions? I really don't want to install the DP only to find out I won't pass emissions and have to put the stock DP back on. I live in AZ which allows 1 not ready OBD2 readiness indicator to fail. We don't have visual testing

I've read that using MHD to tune the car will only remove the CEL indicator in the dash. But it will create a not ready indicator. I've read some people post what their OBD2 readiness are and I saw some that say NOT READY and INACTIVE. Does emissions only look at the NOT READY ones for failing? Or do they also count the inactive?

I've also read to flash MHD to stage 0 before going to get the car emissioned? Why is this?

Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 12:36 PM   #2
sliebhard
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm really really confused... I've done a lot of research but I couldn't get a definitive answer. Some people say it will pass and some say to put the stock DP back in. I've searched in the AZ BMW group in facebook but no luck there too.

I'm curious as to whether installing a catless DP and flashing my car with MHD will let me pass emissions? I really don't want to install the DP only to find out I won't pass emissions and have to put the stock DP back on. I live in AZ which allows 1 not ready OBD2 readiness indicator to fail. We don't have visual testing

I've read that using MHD to tune the car will only remove the CEL indicator in the dash. But it will create a not ready indicator. I've read some people post what their OBD2 readiness are and I saw some that say NOT READY and INACTIVE. Does emissions only look at the NOT READY ones for failing? Or do they also count the inactive?

I've also read to flash MHD to stage 0 before going to get the car emissioned? Why is this?

Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
Take this with a grain of salt. You’ll need to determine if this is worth it regardless of how this has gone for me and others.

In Nevada, you can fail one monitor as well and there is no visual inspection.

You can see my monitor readiness attached. I have all complete except catalyst and any Not Available are not counted as a fail.

I use a jb4 backend flash through MHD and set my JB4 to map 0 before smog.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 12:15 PM   #3
SHK_e82
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 135i n54 6speed

Garage List
The way I was able to pass smog with catless dps in CA was with the dme box mod I did. ECS sells a dme box mod that tells the computer there are 4 cats in the car. If you’ve removed your secondary’s you won’t pass the sniffer test and it’ll be hard to sell that your car has 4 cats. However, on my setup I ran catless dps the stock n54 mid pipe and a berk tuning muffler delete and I put the stock muffler on when I needed to smog. This set up gave me a great sound and I was able to pass the sniffer test so if I ever got pulled over in CA I was good.
Appreciate 0