BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Venture Shield Applied to 1M

Yesterday visited a premises in Buckinghamshire, England to inspect the finished application of 3M Venture Shield completely covering a BSM 1M. The finish was almost invisible to the eye. Amazingly the quarter panels including the pass over the C to A pillars were in one piece.

I went there to look as this is something I may consider fitting to my VO when it arrives in November. Not sure if the whole car needs protecting or just the frontal areas and the impact area of the rear arches.

I met the owner and we chatted for sometime. It was also great to see the car was fitted with the BMW Performance Recaro CS seats. They look really sporty and suit the car better than the standard seats which to me looks out of place in a 1M.

The car looked amazing in BSM as you will see from my pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
BSM is the best.Congrats.
      09-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

That looks absolutely amazing.

Any idea of cost? Did the car need detailing first?

How many seperate pieces were required?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I can't see the Venture shield ;-o) but those seats are sweeeeeet! Congrats, great looking 1///M!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupé  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
I hope to do the same things on my 1///M in BSM too!!!
      09-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
r11saf
Drive it like you stole it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VO 1M Coupe

Mmmmm those seats r so sexy I'm sure they are the same as what came in my mk2 focus rs sooo comfy and the suede just adds a sporty but classy touch defo needs the stitching redone in orange IMO
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy a 1M

Hi Jezzer,

Funny as you beat me to post pics of my own car!!

I've had a number of our previous toys venture-shielded by the same installer and they carry out a faultless install. This is now the 5th car I've had carried out and met Jezzer when I was dropping one off and picking the 1M up.

Must admit, it was incredible to get back into the car. The drive back home was one of the best I've had. Conveniently, I'm ready for the running in service now so will get it booked in tomorrow.

For anyone on the fence about the Performance seats, I think the 1M was meant for the sportster-cs. The fact that BMW have an own-brand version just makes it perfect....

... but PRICEY...

Should have added, I don't have the time (and haven't had the wish) to track my cars. Was the same with my previous cars, including an immaculate e46 CSL (think Jezzer also had one a few years ago!). I just love the fact that the paint protection helps to protect the car from stone chips, tree sap, bird poop, etc. In all honestly it is overkill for my usage of the cars but I just feel better knowing they're fully protected...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11saf View Post
Mmmmm those seats r so sexy I'm sure they are the same as what came in my mk2 focus rs sooo comfy and the suede just adds a sporty but classy touch defo needs the stitching redone in orange IMO
Yes they are, I had the red ones in my RS500
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Looks a real nice job that and those seat but I really couldn't justify the price from BMW as I would then also have the stitching re-done to match, as great as they look I feel a set of cs's re-stitched is the better option £ wise......... Had oem recaro seats in our last car based on the cs's, looked the part but didn't really have that support of a bucket seat as I was still holding on for dear life on track unlike the pole positions I have in my opc, but your car looks great mate, enjoy.......
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Looks a real nice job that and those seat but I really couldn't justify the price from BMW as I would then also have the stitching re-done to match, as great as they look I feel a set of cs's re-stitched is the better option £ wise......... Had oem recaro seats in our last car based on the cs's, looked the part but didn't really have that support of a bucket seat as I was still holding on for dear life on track unlike the pole positions I have in my opc, but your car looks great mate, enjoy.......
Thanks mate. Agree pole positions better (similar to the seats in my CSL). The sportster CS is a good balance of comfort and sportiness but the pole positions are awesome. Thinking of putting some into a 993 project I'm about to embark on...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
I've had a number of our previous toys venture-shielded by the same installer and they carry out a faultless install. This is now the 5th car I've had carried out and met Jezzer when I was dropping one off and picking the 1M up.
Hey mate, would you mind answering the questions I asked above?

Could you tell us how much it cost you to have the whole car done?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
I have already got my dealer on the case with regard to the orange stitching, they have contacted the products director to see if they produce these. I also have a very good contact at Recaro Automotive GmbH who will also look into this for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

CSL seats do a great job for an oe fit, supporting and look the part, you do see the odd pair come up for sale from time to time, wonder how much of a job they would be to fit.................

I have done a number of drives to the ring and back and my misses finds the pole positions comfortable to sleep in and even with my dodgy lower back I have never had any back complaints with hours in the saddle.........Great seats, should work nicely in your 993 project.....
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
I have already got my dealer on the case with regard to the orange stitching, they have contacted the products director to see if they produce these. I also have a very good contact at Recaro Automotive GmbH who will also look into this for me as well.

Nice one, that would really finish them off (and the eyelets in gloss black lol)

Keep us updated with how you get on mate.....
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #15
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Hey mate, would you mind answering the questions I asked above?

Could you tell us how much it cost you to have the whole car done?
Hi, cost varies depending on how much coverage and who does the job. I get a bit of a discount as I am (unfortunately!!) becoming a regular customer.

I've had quotes from £1k upwards if that helps.

As for detailing, it's a question of the condition of the paintwork before film application. There isn't any point applying special waxes as they'd need to be removed to add the film. Worth removing any swirls beforehand though.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
For anyone interested, the BMWP seats have White stitching. I've seen people try to colour them in but I didn't want to go down that route. Will just remove and sell unless the new buyer is prepared to pay for them if/when I sell the car...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
luial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3

Would love to see these seats available in orange stitching
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
scaramanga
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luial View Post
Would love to see these seats available in orange stitching
Here is an example of DIY colour changing of the stitching. As I said, I wouldn't do this but cheaper than re-stitching seats. Best alternative would be to have them stitched in orange which I think is only possible if ordered from recaro (depending on jezzer's feedback).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
Here is an example of DIY colour changing of the stitching. As I said, I wouldn't do this but cheaper than re-stitching seats. Best alternative would be to have them stitched in orange which I think is only possible if ordered from recaro (depending on jezzer's feedback).

Great find, sure, colour pen is the easiest option. Would the colour eventually wear off do you think? The Kyalami orange is very pale so could be hard to match maybe?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #20
Hotrod99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, 1M,

Excellent job. I'm getting mine done on the 28th using Venture Shield with GLARE detailing first.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

I know that the shield protects the car's color as well as other minor scratches, etc., but how long does the shield last?

Any issues on hot/cold days?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
Excellent job. I'm getting mine done on the 28th using Venture Shield with GLARE detailing first.
Is the detailing you're having done first just to remove any swirl marks as I understand any wax applied to the car has to be stripped prior to fitting the shield.

No issues with hot or cold temps, guaranteed for six years.
Appreciate 0