BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Closed Thread

12-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
kazin
Private
Rep
Drives: a

Tuned 135s vs 1M

I've been seeing a lot of these threads lately and I just wanted to give my opinion in the hopes that we can all put our egos aside and face facts. Before I begin: Yes, I'm going to be the lucky owner of a 1M soon. But this isn't about cars. It's about economics.

Why are you all surprised that a tuned/modded 135 will hang with/beat a 1M?

Throw a couple of bolt ons and a tune for a 335 and it will do the same to an M3. Hell. Throw some nos on a '99 civic and it'll have a power to weight ratio that rivals cars several times its own cost.

You can't compare and say "Hey, well I got my 135 for ___ and I put ___ worth of mods on it. It's still cheaper than your 1M and it's just as good."

If you add x amount of mods to your car, the only fair comparison is adding the same amount to the other car.

1M is a mass produced product that means BMW has to cut corners somewhere to make ends meet to make a profit. Not only that, I'm sure a chunk of the MSRP can also be attributed to the badges and rarity alone.

When you take a stock car like a 135 or a 1M and throw mods onto it, you are essentially spending money to specialize and upgrade the things that BMW has to cut corners on. I can spend a pittance on some random econobox and end up with a car that costs less than your stock 135 and could probably hang with it.

What's the point? The point is that there's ABSOLUTELY NO POINT in the cock fights that are so prevalent when a modded 135 vs 1m discussion is brought up.

A well modded 135 will beat a stock 1M and cost less. End of story. Get over it.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread