BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

1M The Pirate

Went to a BMW dealer in the UK today and they asked me if I knew the car was nicknamed 'The Pirate'.
I said that I had seen this on the forum but it was spelt PYRAT after the rum the M engineers like to drink.
They replied it was Pirate as it had stolen the parts off the M3. I know there was a picture showing the codename on another thread but who actually said it was named after the rum?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

What was you doing at the dealers mate, can't have been the run in service with 200 odd miles on the clock lol
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Just some little goodies to add to my collection, any feedback on the Pirate at all?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

It appears UK dealers are as clueless as US ones.

I think it's a pretty well established fact that the internal code name for the 1M was 'Pyrat' and it was, indeed, named after the delicious alcoholic beverage of the same name.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Thats wild so the car is based of the pyrat rum?

Or maybe the designer was fond of the rum and thought lets make it valencia orange haha.
Pyrat orange "Savage" rum liquer - a liqueur made from rum and orange juice concentrate.

The Planters distillery leads back to the English sailor CJ Planter, the opposite end of the 19th Century in Anguilla settled and married the daughter of a resident sugarcane producers. Shortly after the death of his father-in Planter started to produce rum, which he soon sell not only in the Caribbean, but also in Europe konnte.Seit a joint venture in 1996 with The Patrón Spirits Company, the leading products of the distillery under the label Pyrat sold.

Products
Planters Gold - Pyrat XO Reserve - a blend of about 15 years old rum. In many internet forums, rated as one of the best rums in general.
Pyrat Pistol - one very similar to the XO Reserve, but taste a little "lighter" rum
Pyrat Cask 23 - the top product of the range, blend of rums up to 40 years old.
Pyrat orange "Savage" rum liquer - a liqueur made from rum and orange juice concentrate.
Pyrat trois "ménage" - a little stronger flavored version of "Savage"
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
It appears UK dealers are as clueless as US ones.

I think it's a pretty well established fact that the internal code name for the 1M was 'Pyrat' and it was, indeed, named after the delicious alcoholic beverage of the same name.
Is this written on any official BMW site so I can show them at the BMW dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Where has the rum gone???
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
Went to a BMW dealer in the UK today and they asked me if I knew the car was nicknamed 'The Pirate'.
I said that I had seen this on the forum but it was spelt PYRAT after the rum the M engineers like to drink.
They replied it was Pirate as it had stolen the parts off the M3. I know there was a picture showing the codename on another thread but who actually said it was named after the rum?
It was Dr. Kay Segler who first told the story (i think it was in one of the online interviews) of how the //M engineers like to drink Pyrat Rum in their off hours at the shop. The rum was also inspiration to the VO color of the 1M. Hence the projekt name: Code Pyrat.

Also when the (im)famous "Lucky 12" met in Leipzig Werk (last October, 2010) to "test" the early protoype 1M's at the factory... the in the video that M-Power produced two of the cars carried "Pyrat1" and Pyrat2" license plates.

1M code name: Pyrat...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=code+pyrat

Dackel
Appreciate 0