BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

ISO AutoSock (or equivalent) in My Sizes

Please, no lectures on buying snow tires. I live near Metro, shopping, groceries, etc., and simply don't want to - or need to - drive in the snow. And I have no place to store 4 tires all year long. I just want something for emergencies. Did some research, and I like the idea of AutoSocks, or the equivalent. (There are several manufacturers.) But I can't find anything that fits my car: 215/40R18 up front, and 245/35R18 in the back.

AutoSock.com says their size 645s will fit both, but they don't seem to be available in the US in that size. Amazon.com's chart for AutoSocks says size 735 will fit the fronts, but they don't have anything to fit the rears. TireRack.com says they don't have Autosocks to fit front or rear (tho they carry the 735). Very confusing.

Suggestions? Anyone know of other brands in this size? I've seen a few brands, but either they aren't sold in the US, or they don't come in the sizes I need.

I'll call AutoSock tomorrow, but any info before then would be appreciated.
      12-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

When you say: "Auto Sock" I take that to mean those stockings or covers that go over the wheels - in lue of snow chains?

Like these:

I don't know how good or bad they are... but I would think they might come off after some miles/kms. I first saw some in a snow chain catalog a few weeks ago over here, when I was at my discount autoparts place. RUD makes snow chains and also these socks.

http://www.rud.com/en/produkte/schneeketten/pkw.html

I was also surprised that RUD makes snow chains for one's shoes too! Literally your hicking boots - they make snow chains for them!

OP - what do you do once you get home though? I mean how do you clean those socks? Throw them in your wash machine? lol Really I want to know.

I think you know how "some" of us feel about winter driving. Personally if your gonna spend a few hundred dollars on snow chains or these socks... why not just buy some decent tires!?!? Btw... I have no idea how much these socks sell for. But I know sno chains are $$$. I think $300 to $400 for one axle for our 1er's from BMW.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

These are about $75 a pair, and they recommend putting them on all 4 tires for RWD cars. And yes, you put them in the washing machine!

Again, I have no desire to deal with the expense, storage, or hassle of changing over to snow tires. In the past 5 years, I've probably had to drive in the snow once. I just want these for emergencies.

Can't find the RUDs in my size either.
      01-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Windjammer
it's all about the sound
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335xi M-Sport 6MT Stg1

These are $99 a pair and seem to perform better than the AutoSock and Multi-a-Grip. I'm also in the DC area and don't want to shell out $$ for winter tires and wheels when it only snows <5 times a year. I have xdrive and summer tires, and my car was useless during this past snow (less than 3 inches). I've been reading up on these 'snow socks' and these guys look the best so far.

If anyone knows otherwise, please speak up.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2129939/
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

What about getting a set of high quality performance all season tires for year round use?
      02-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

AutoSock recommends 1 pair on drive wheels, no mention of using 4 on a 2WD at their site. I've used 2 sets of chains on RWD cars in the past and felt like it made things worse; these might be different, as they're lower mass and thus less likely to take on a mind of their own. Currently $95 a pair on their site or on Amazon.

WA State Patrol allows AutoSock in any "chains required" situation, and studded tires are not an acceptable alternative. AutoSock says they're approved in all 50 states, but WA is the only one I checked.

We're in between "Son Of Return Of SnowStorm" and "Son Of Return Of SnowStorm - Part Deux", with forecasts for "Son Of Return Of SnowStorm Part Deux - The Sequel" on the outlook. Our Michelin Pilot AS3+ set came in this weekend; I got to ski down to Costco on the aged-out ROF summer tires (much to the chagrin and disapproval of my wife), then drove home with considerably better control. The AutoSock will be a lightweight encouragement to tour in times & places we'd otherwise nix. My wife appreciated the AutoSock video shows a woman putting them on, and said yes when she saw it.
      02-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #7
Enoe Ulbeht
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Garage List
I have used them many years ago over summer tires . they are very convenient and offer much better ride compared to chains. they offer impressive grip but at reduced speeds compared to snow tires.
Particularly if your car has no fender gap left from lowering, they are a life saver since chains are a pain to mount in this case.

Take care to rinse then and let them dry after use, especially before storing, otherwise the cloth will degrade very fast.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
markslc1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 14 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdavisnpf View Post
AutoSock recommends 1 pair on drive wheels, no mention of using 4 on a 2WD at their site. I've used 2 sets of chains on RWD cars in the past and felt like it made things worse; these might be different, as they're lower mass and thus less likely to take on a mind of their own. Currently $95 a pair on their site or on Amazon.

WA State Patrol allows AutoSock in any "chains required" situation, and studded tires are not an acceptable alternative. AutoSock says they're approved in all 50 states, but WA is the only one I checked.

They are sold at Costco in the seattle area? Seems like a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
bobdavisnpf
Hapless Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 135i, '89 E30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by markslc1 View Post
They are sold at Costco in the seattle area? Seems like a good idea.
No, they're on Amazon. Or direct from their USA site https://shopautosock.mcgeecompany.com/