BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #23
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Dont euro performance seats have side airbags?
Yes, they sure do. Those are almost plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
GermX-85
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post
I currently have the Sparco Evos installed, which JUST fit. I'm assuming you got the EVO IIs bc you wouldn't fit in the regular EVOs?

Note: the roll bars don't show it in the photo, but they now have the appropriate foam padding

Very Nice, did you have to get custom Seat Base Adapter?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #25
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermX-85 View Post
Very Nice, did you have to get custom Seat Base Adapter?
Nope, VAC motorsports sells everything you need (billet floor mounts, seat side mounts, and anti-sub strap if you run 5/6pt harnesses)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
GermX-85
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post
Nope, VAC motorsports sells everything you need (billet floor mounts, seat side mounts, and anti-sub strap if you run 5/6pt harnesses)
Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #27
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Do you guys sit lower with those seats? How do you get to the back seats? Also what are weight savings?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #28
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Do you guys sit lower with those seats? How do you get to the back seats? Also what are weight savings?
You definitely sit lower if you don't have a slider. It you do have slider then it's only slightly lower. The slider is how you would access rear seat. Weight savings depends on seat you go with and whether you had heated / electric to begin with but assuming you did, you could expect to shed 50lbs per side.

Btw I know this thread is pretty old but to OP or anyone else wondering, if you wanted something similar to PP's but with higher harness holes, you should take a look at Recaro SPG, I believe they are essentially same width as PP but meant for taller people.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-31-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #29
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
You definitely sit lower if you don't have a slider. It you do have slider then it's only slightly lower. The slider is how you would access rear seat. Weight savings depends on seat you go with and whether you had heated / electric to begin with but assuming you did, you could expect to shed 50lbs per side.

Btw I know this thread is pretty old but to OP or anyone else wondering, if you wanted something similar to PP's but with higher harness holes, you should take a look at Recaro SPG, I believe they are essentially same width as PP but meant for taller people.
I wish I could get seats without a slider...but unfortunately there is still time to time where I need rear seats

Per SCCA Rules, I need seats + mounts to weigh over 25 lbs, so weight reductions could be huge. (Manual seats with heat)

I need to still test fit some seats, but I was thinking I can go a permanent mount on driver side and do slide mount on the passenger.

I like sitting low, and these seats are just frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I wish I could get seats without a slider...but unfortunately there is still time to time where I need rear seats

Per SCCA Rules, I need seats + mounts to weigh over 25 lbs, so weight reductions could be huge. (Manual seats with heat)

I need to still test fit some seats, but I was thinking I can go a permanent mount on driver side and do slide mount on the passenger.

I like sitting low, and these seats are just frustrating.
That's definitely an option considering most of us have people access the rear through passenger side. By the way shameless plug but if you decide to go with Macht Schnell hardware (which I recommend over VAC) I have new harness adapters I'll sell you dirt cheap lol. Race seats + MS hardware + Scroth Quickfits = Win

Last edited by 3002 tii; 02-02-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #31
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's definitely an option considering most of us have people access the rear through passenger side. By the way shameless plug but if you decide to go with Macht Schnell hardware (which I recommend over VAC) I have new harness adapters I'll sell you dirt cheap lol. Race seats + MS hardware + Scroth Quickfits = Win
Do you know by chance will Sparco REV seats fit e82? I really like them and price is perfect for me...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #32
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you know by chance will Sparco REV seats fit e82? I really like them and price is perfect for me...
If I had to guess yes because iirc those are similar to Evo's but more geared for the smaller driver. I would so a relative comparison, look up what Sparco seats others have done and go from there. So if you know the Evo II or III's have worked for others, than the REV should fit since they are supposed to be smaller. Try messaging these guys:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=20
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887003
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217396

Try giving OGRacing a call, they carry Sparco seats at competitive prices and offer free shipping, but they might be able to confirm fitment for you.
      02-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #33
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If I had to guess yes because iirc those are similar to Evo's but more geared for the smaller driver. I would so a relative comparison, look up what Sparco seats others have done and go from there. So if you know the Evo II or III's have worked for others, than the REV should fit since they are supposed to be smaller. Try messaging these guys:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=20
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887003
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217396

Try giving OGRacing a call, they carry Sparco seats at competitive prices and offer free shipping, but they might be able to confirm fitment for you.
Thank you very informative... will try to contact them. Still cant decide which sliders or just passenger side slider. Is there sliders with recline function?
By chance are you driving buckets for daily?

And damn... Can somebody teach me again how to PM in this forum... REally I can't find that option pressing on nickname wtf?

Last edited by RimasRS; 02-02-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #34
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you very informative... will try to contact them. Still cant decide which sliders or just passenger side slider. Is there sliders with recline function?
By chance are you driving buckets for daily?
Recline would be function of seat, not sliders. You should buy one set of sliders first, knowing you'd want on passenger side. Mount the driver side but don't bolt in and see how it feels. Some find having no slider might be too low despite setting on highest setting on side mounts. Other taller drivers may even find that the seat doesn't go back far enough (the last hole on the floor mount may not extend back far enough). If it turns out you actually do need the slider, install driver side first with the one slider you do have and order a 2nd one separately and eat the shipping charge.

I never daily'd the car but there was a time I took it out often and I didn't mind it one bit. I found race seats to be more supportive, only getting in and out was a slight pain but I quickly found the best "way". My wife has no problems jumping in and out anymore. The only real issue is how you mount the factory belts. Most run the receptacle outside of the seat where the lap belt has to go over the (high) side bolsters. What happens then is when you brake, the belts tighten up but the lap belts only tighten arojnd the seat, not the driver. What I did was buy a belt extender and snaked it through the side hole of the race seat. Not ideal but better than 'submarining.' The reason you can't put the factory receptacle through the side hole is because it's so rigid, no flexibility whatsoever.

I ran this setup for a year before putting in harnesses.

02-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #35
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yea, well my car is still "a business car" even though no customers or anyone will ever ride in it (it has been this way since 7 months ago when I started)...so I'm still iffy on if/when I should do race seats.

I already have Schroth Quick-Fit Pro ordered, because I can add a sub-belt if/when I get the seat (at least for driver. Passenger can stick with a 3-point because I'm too cheap right now, lol.

Sending you a PM...damn you
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #36
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, well my car is still "a business car" even though no customers or anyone will ever ride in it (it has been this way since 7 months ago when I started)...so I'm still iffy on if/when I should do race seats.

I already have Schroth Quick-Fit Pro ordered, because I can add a sub-belt if/when I get the seat (at least for driver. Passenger can stick with a 3-point because I'm too cheap right now, lol.

Sending you a PM...damn you
Hit you back lol

Last edited by 3002 tii; 02-02-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #37
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hit you back lol
Nice Ninja Edit
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #38
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice Ninja Edit
Eh, why bore everyone here...
      02-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #39
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Recline would be function of seat, not sliders. You should buy one set of sliders first, knowing you'd want on passenger side. Mount the driver side but don't bolt in and see how it feels. Some find having no slider might be too low despite setting on highest setting on side mounts. Other taller drivers may even find that the seat doesn't go back far enough (the last hole on the floor mount may not extend back far enough). If it turns out you actually do need the slider, install driver side first with the one slider you do have and order a 2nd one separately and eat the shipping charge.

I never daily'd the car but there was a time I took it out often and I didn't mind it one bit. I found race seats to be more supportive, only getting in and out was a slight pain but I quickly found the best "way". My wife has no problems jumping in and out anymore. The only real issue is how you mount the factory belts. Most run the receptacle outside of the seat where the lap belt has to go over the (high) side bolsters. What happens then is when you brake, the belts tighten up but the lap belts only tighten arojnd the seat, not the driver. What I did was buy a belt extender and snaked it through the side hole of the race seat. Not ideal but better than 'submarining.' The reason you can't put the factory receptacle through the side hole is because it's so rigid, no flexibility whatsoever.

I ran this setup for a year before putting in harnesses.

Thanks looks amazing, which seat is that?

About seat height... The biggest reason why I want to sit lower (although I'm not tall guy 1.80m) is because when I wear helmet I touch with it roof handle I dont understand how others drive e82 on track with helmet. And side support is also important + weight saving.

Last edited by RimasRS; 02-03-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #40
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks looks amazing, which seat is that?

About seat height... The biggest reason why I want to sit lower (although I'm not tall guy 1.80m) is because when I wear helmet I touch with it roof handle I dont understand how others drive e82 on track with helmet. And side support is also important + weight saving.
Those are Recaro PP's in Jersey Red cloth with suede middle inserts. This is how it looks now. I got rid of the belt extenders and you can see how the factory receptacle is outside of the seat.

There are some tricks to getting around the height issue, some of it is how you angle the seat. The side mounts will have different holes for front and rear of seat, and angling the rear lower helps (and it makes driving more comfortable). Also, some seats have LESS cushion on the bottom so more the reason you want to actually try out different seats in person. But yea, I would get 1 slider first and mess around with the settings to see what works.
      08-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #41
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Those are Recaro PP's in Jersey Red cloth with suede middle inserts. This is how it looks now. I got rid of the belt extenders and you can see how the factory receptacle is outside of the seat.

There are some tricks to getting around the height issue, some of it is how you angle the seat. The side mounts will have different holes for front and rear of seat, and angling the rear lower helps (and it makes driving more comfortable). Also, some seats have LESS cushion on the bottom so more the reason you want to actually try out different seats in person. But yea, I would get 1 slider first and mess around with the settings to see what works.
Now If I'm correct, isn't the bottom cusion removable? Can't you get a thinner cusion to sit lower? How much lower do you sit right now; like from head to roof?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 09:52 AM   #42
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
Now If I'm correct, isn't the bottom cusion removable? Can't you get a thinner cusion to sit lower? How much lower do you sit right now; like from head to roof?
Yes cushion is removable but don't think Recaro provides a thinner substitute cushion. Without slider and seat set on the lowest setting on side mount, you'll probably gain a good 3".
      08-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #43
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Yes cushion is removable but don't think Recaro provides a thinner substitute cushion. Without slider and seat set on the lowest setting on side mount, you'll probably gain a good 3".
Oh, that is exactly what I wanted to hear
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #44
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
Oh, that is exactly what I wanted to hear
With my setup VAC floor mounts and sliders I think I am sitting higher than the stock sport seat at the lowest setting. Maybe I should have listened to your brother and not put in the sliders.
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0