BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

But will it be trackworthy?

I'm getting very close to putting a deposit down for a 1 Series M Coupe, however I remain concerned about its trackworthiness.

This is important to me as I'm an active instructor and One Lapper and spend between 20-30 days a year on track.

More specifically, I'm concerned whether the oil and coolant temperature-related issues -- which can put the N54 into limp home mode --have been successfully addressed.

Yes, I know that the 1 Series M Coupe will likely come with both an oil cooler and the auxilliary radiator and revised fan programming that BMW introduced in its "performance power" kits. I believe that these bits and pieces are also installed on the 335is.

Does anyone have any insight into whether these changes have effectively addressed these cooling issues?

Thanks.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

The only way to get your questions answered is to wait until the car is released. Up until then its all tomatoes and potatoes.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I agree. The good news is that several journalists have test driven the 1M and I haven't heard anything about the test car triggering a limp mode. On the contrary, we first heard of the E92 335i going into limp during the test drives of auto journalists. Those guys are not easy on cars.

I would say it's a good sign that we have yet to hear anything about the 1M falling on its face.
      10-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Meth
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Meth
I may be mistaken, but meth would be useful to prevent heat soak and maintain power, but would have little direct effect on oil and coolant temps.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

My biggest concern is also trackworthy and oil and coolant temps. And if the turbo s can keep on going all day at the track without going to pieces.

I see lots of turbo bmw at my local bmw dealer which have problems.

This is a car which some people buy to go even more extreme. So i hope it can whitstand the hammering on tracks.

For me atmo engines are still the best for trackusage. Maybe bmw can convince me with the 1///M coupe.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

There si also a more powerful cooling fan, as with all Power Kit cars. Someone at e90post tracked his car with Power Kit and said it still overheats but does last a bit longer until that point. However I think the airflow channels are the most important changes they could have made to the 1M in order to keep the temperatures down. And I think the 1M front bumper and side vents are doing their job.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #8
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

I honestly think there is no way, that one can make the "is it trackworthy" decision at this point. It's all hearsay and a bunch of maybes.

My thoughts are the same as Advevos. Do you want to run a turbo period in the scenario you are describing? If you run single laps, how are you going to cool the engine and/or the charger(s) down? Run a cool down lap (or laps) before you go in? Will you keep it running in idle when you go to the pits for a short briefing? And chances are... if you don't... your turbos won't have much of a lifetime. And I seriously doubt BMW will and would pay for repairs due to track use.

Me personally, I would prefer a stripped and roll-cell-ed M346 for that type of scenario.
      10-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I'm getting very close to putting a deposit down for a 1 Series M Coupe, however I remain concerned about its trackworthiness.

This is important to me as I'm an active instructor and One Lapper and spend between 20-30 days a year on track.

More specifically, I'm concerned whether the oil and coolant temperature-related issues -- which can put the N54 into limp home mode --have been successfully addressed.

Yes, I know that the 1 Series M Coupe will likely come with both an oil cooler and the auxilliary radiator and revised fan programming that BMW introduced in its "performance power" kits. I believe that these bits and pieces are also installed on the 335is.

Does anyone have any insight into whether these changes have effectively addressed these cooling issues?

Thanks.

Neil
Neil, BMW do make custom track cars for serious track drivers and privateers. Get in touch with your local dealer and you can custom order one. They do M3's and Z4's.

There is an off the shelf BMW track car, but it's not available in NA unfortunately you.
      10-21-2010, 08:18 AM   #10
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

If you are refering to the GT4 (M3) and GT3 (Z4), then they play in a completely different league alltogether. As far as the prices are concerned (the GT4 costs 120k Euro and the GT3 around 300k Euro) and as far as driveability is concerned... the GT4 would be ok as an instructors car, provided you have people following you that know what they're doing and are running material that has the grunt to keep up with the pace. The GT3... ehhh well... I seriously doubt the driver could coach while driving one of those and... there won't be to many coachees, that will be able to follow.
      10-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

I think using the stock M3 brakes is some cause for concern as well (especially if one chips the car for even more cheap power). It's a shame that the 135i's 6-piston Brembos were not upgraded with larger rotors, rather than going for the cheaper 1-piston brakes from the M3.

It's easy to fade the brakes on an M3 at the track and the 1M will have similar weight and velocity.
      10-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
It's easy to fade the brakes on an M3 at the track and the 1M will have similar weight and velocity.
thats true if you don't make any upgrades. these cars are made for the street, and bmw does not add stainless steel brake lines, racing brake fluid, and dedicated track brake pads - mostly because the upkeep on these parts would cost them money (warranty hours) and would create noise which scares the average customer away.

this car can definitely be trackworthy. afterall, they do test this thing on the ring - which is the most challenging track in the world. this car should also have the necessary oil cooler. i would also suggest a front mount intercooler to keep the air cooler.

when i get this car i will do the following

- castrol srf brake fluid, ss lines, and pads - prob pfc 06
- ast coilovers
- cobra suzukas gt
- bmw perf ssk
- stickier tires
- front mount intercooler
- possibly add second oil cooler
- some sort of catback exhaust
- maybe a downpipe - run catless since new car inspection isnt due for 4 years.

the car should definitely be a great track car

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 05:37 AM   #13
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
This car can definitely be trackworthy. afterall, they do test this thing on the ring - which is the most challenging track in the world.
The Ring may be the most challenging track for the driver, but it is far from the most challenging for the car. The Ring is very fast with lots of brake cooling opportunities. A slower more technical track (almost all of them) where you have limited straights between heavy braking zones is a much tougher test of a brake system's thermal capabilities.

The Ring is considered the best test track for developing a street car, since the layout most approximates driving conditions likely to be encountered on the road - not because it is unusually demanding of the car's endurance with respect to racetracks.

Our old track in Denver (Second Creek, now closed) was considered one of the most demanding in the world for a car's brake system, yet it was considered a fairly unchallenging track for the driver (not many fast corners and short straights between the slow ones that required massive braking).

Last edited by grant; 10-23-2010 at 05:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #14
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Buy a year old Cayman S. Same price more fun outta box.
      10-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
I'd definitely consider it if I didn't want a back seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #16
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep

Quote:
The Ring may be the most challenging track for the driver, but it is far from the most challenging for the car. The Ring is very fast with lots of brake cooling opportunities. A slower more technical track (almost all of them) where you have limited straights between heavy braking zones is a much tougher test of a brake system's thermal capabilities.

The Ring is considered the best test track for developing a street car, since the layout most approximates driving conditions likely to be encountered on the road - not because it is unusually demanding of the car's endurance with respect to racetracks.
judging by the vehicle you drive, i am assuming that you have been tracking your car for some time. Thats awesome.

I was at the ring this past august when my good friend did euro delivery on a 335. We drove the ring and honestly, although there are long straights for brake cooling to take place, and the gloomy nature of the track most of the year, the track is still VERY hard on the brakes. There are points where you are amassing tremendous speeds and you are forced to downshift to third from sixth.

We were not going out there trying to set a new 335 record, but we have 3 years of track experience under our belt and have track ready e46 m3s and we are going to instructor school next season - so our pace is not relaxed by any means.

My allusion to the ring testing is that BMW tests these cars on the ring for hundreds of laps - which equals thousands of miles. The testing on the ring allows for fine tuning of the suspension, drivetrain, motor, brakes, and cooling system. It would be hard to fathom that bmw does not take braking - the most important component in motorsports - lightly. The reason they use such sissy pads is because if you put aggressive pads and you have a typical BMW driver come into service complaining that the brake pads feel terrible, don't stop when its cold outside, and squeak! BMW caters to the customer first and the enthusiast second - if not, we'd have a gt3rs killer

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep

Quote:
theres nothing like wiping off the grin of a porsche owner with your little bmw

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, you can't do Euro Delivery with a used car One of the most attractive things about buying a new BMW is that they have a the 7% discount where Porsche charges you thousands over sticker for the priviledge of ED (and as you mentioned they are already overpriced when brand new to begin).
      10-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Unfortunately, you can't do Euro Delivery with a used car One of the most attractive things about buying a new BMW is that they have a the 7% discount where Porsche charges you thousands over sticker for the priviledge of ED (and as you mentioned they are already overpriced when brand new to begin).
OP doesn't mention about ED. It is a discussion/speculation about the track worthiness of the 1M Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
theres nothing like wiping off the grin of a porsche owner with your little bmw
You are delusional. Head to head, stock vs stock there is no such car in P-car vs. BMW comparison unless you are planning to wipe off the grin with having back seat.

Last edited by Evice; 10-23-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP doesn't mention about ED.
I didn't mean to imply that - just giving my own reason for considering a new 1M over a used Cayman S.
      10-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #21
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
OP doesn't mention about ED. It is a discussion/speculation about the track worthiness of the 1M Coupe.

I'd also like to do ED on 1M, but I doubt there's any Euro Del discount. I think it'll be US pricing.

You are delusional. Head to head, stock vs stock there is no such car in P-car vs. BMW comparison unless you are planning to wipe off the grin with having back seat.
M3 coupe vs Cayman or C2 is a good competition, Car and Driver had M3 faster in their DCT vs. PDK comparo. Just depends on the specific competition too.

Nonetheless, for outright performance, I'd choose a Porsche. BMW is a fantastic compromise though.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
M3 coupe vs Cayman or C2 is a good competition, Car and Driver had M3 faster in their DCT vs. PDK comparo. Just depends on the specific competition too.

Nonetheless, for outright performance, I'd choose a Porsche. BMW is a fantastic compromise though.
On courses with more straights the M3s power advantage will take a Cayman S, but on tight courses, advantage to the CS due to its brakes, and better handling.