BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
makrasnov100
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Rebuild Project - Problem Starting the Car - [Video and Info Included]

Hello Everyone,

I've been following the threads here for about a month and so far they have been really helpful. I started a 135i rebuilding project a while back. Currently, I've replaced all the fluids and the entire cooling system (some OEM, some aftermarket parts). Trying to start the car for the first time (with a jump start) it seems like the starter is not turning at all and the car is making a weird electric-like sound. Below is a video I took of the sound and some error codes that popped out when I plugged in a device called GO FAR.

Video:

Error Codes:
https://i.lensdump.com/i/W9m83i.png

Some Important Notes:
  1. I know the plastic bag isn't supposed to be there in the air intake, at the time of taking the video I accidentally kept it on. Same results occur even without the bag.
  2. The car is a 2010 BMW 135I with an automatic transmission - VIN#: WBAUC7C51AVK95894
  3. For the error code (P0073) it may be the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor that I forgot to plug in at the time of getting the codes
  4. I know for a fact the two error codes are not the only problems with the car but for now, this GO FAR device is the best testing device I got

Any help in determining the problem or the next steps would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
SoFloE82
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

How much of a rebuild did you do? Did you disconnect the DME? Any chance you connected the harnesses in the wrong order? You can accidentally connect the three left harnesses in the incorrect order. From left to right, the cables come out of the top, top and bottom, then bottom, on the harnesses respectively.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
makrasnov100
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Got it Started

Hello again,

Thanks for the reply SoFlo, the only parts I replaced so far are the cooling components so the radiator, condenser, transmission oil cooler, and the intercooler. Also the serpentine belt and a couple of coolant tubes that were cracked.

I actually got it to work a bit differently. Remembering that the airbags went off, the battery safety must have exploded. Replacing that part and charging the battery allowed me to start the car without a jump start.

Some immediate observations followed,

- coolant started to drip consistently from the driver's side of the radiator
- after about 15 seconds some smoke started coming up mainly from the passenger side of the engine
- when trying to check oil level other warnings either canceled or hidden the test

Video:

I believe that my next steps should be locating the leak for the coolant, and also checking the error codes with a better OBD scanner. I think the smoke is just burned oil, which is probably not a good thing either. Any suggestions on affordable quality products for BMW replacement parts? I've been checking lots, just wanted to know other peoples preferences.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Replacement parts: FCPeuro offers a lifetime warranty on all their parts. Also quality parts with comparable prices to other vendors.

Driver's side coolant leak: the drain is on the driver's side, as is the upper radiator hose which tends to crack near the radiator side. Oil from passenger side, maybe oil cooler, or something dripping on the Turbo?
Appreciate 0