BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Thumbs down Minus 1 on bmwpartsunlimited.com

Ordered a part from bmwpartsunlimited.com, the Internet sales dept of Chapman BMW in Chandler AZ. Took almost two weeks to get the part.

The guy shipped it out via UPS with required-signature-at-delivery service.

bmwpartsunlimited.com customers are supposed to take time off work to drive across town to retrieve a $50 part from a UPS customer center.

amazon.com & dell.com will ship out thousand dollar orders that UPS will leave at your door.

bmwpartsunlimited.com assumes all customers are thieving liars that will scam them by denying receiving an order.

I think next time I'll mozy by my neighborhood dealership on Saturday and spend an extra $10. Might even get a smile and a thank you instead of "OMG it's a #!@% customer! Quick, hide the silverware!"

Last edited by JejuneLegume; 02-19-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JejuneLegume View Post
I think next time I'll mozy by my neighborhood dealership on Saturday and spend an extra $10.
Or shop at Tischer (www.getbmwparts.com).
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Or shop at Tischer (www.getbmwparts.com).
+1 WHS^^^
Jason is great to deal with.
      02-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

go tischer, but I think your expectations might be a little high.

If you didn't explicitly ask them to not have signature on delivery, I know Apple, Toshiba, Dell, Amazon, etc (for me at least) initially require signature on delivery unless you specify otherwise
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
JuuS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

This doesn't seem like a issue with the store but more your own shipping inexperience because you're complaining that you got the more expensive shipping option. Why didn't you give them your work address like the rest of us?

And if someone stole your part that UPS left on your door, you'd probably be the first on here complaining how irresponsible they were.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

There were no shipping options to select during bmwpartsunlimited.com's checkout process. Just to be clear I did not want signature required service.

Quoted below is the exact shipping policy stated on the bmwpartsunlimited.com website.

There is no mention of required-signature-upon-delivery for initial orders or subsequent orders.

I live on 2+ acres at the end of a long driveway that is monitored by video surveillance and other security measures. A package ain't going anywhere without knowing the who, what, when, & where.

I do every purchase possible online via large sites such as amazon, often receiving several packages a week, probably totally tens of thousands of dollars annually.

True, I may be spoiled by amazon's seamless shopping experience, but bmwpartsunlimited.com enforcement of unstated shipping policies is a deceptive business practice.

For those that may consider placing an order with bmwpartsunlimited.com, I only wish to share my negative experience with the required-signature-upon-delivery requirement that is not mentioned in bmwpartsunlimited.com shipping policy statement.

For those that may have trouble understanding a rather simple matter, or don't have the wherewithal to spend thirty seconds to investigate bmwpartsunlimited.com's shipping policy for themselves, welp, life is too short.

bmwpartsunlimited.com stated shipping policy:

Quote:
All orders must have a valid Home or Business address. We do not ship to P.O. Boxes. No Internaltional Orders.

NOTE: Oversize items and Heavy Weight items, including but not limited to bumper components, body panels, engines, transmissions, require extra shipping charges; please email us for a quote before ordering. No Hazmat materials or fluides will be shipped.Please be specific as to what you want to have shipped and have the complete address to which it will be shipped. These items are necessary to give an accurate quote for shipping costs. If the actual shipping charges are more than what was calculated at checkout, you will be charged the additional shipping charges. If you order a part that is Oversize, Heavyweight or may have unusually high shipping costs, we will contact you prior to shipping to give you a shipping estimate. At that time we will ask for written consent to charge you actual shipping costs. Please call to confirm availability on shipping of discontinued and/or older parts and/or accessories. There will be no returns or exchanges on discontinued and/or older parts and/or accessories. They are considered “Final Sale.” Handling Charge: At checkout, there will be a $3.00 Handling Charge added to every order to cover the cost incurred when packaging your order for shipment. Core Policy: Some parts offered on our site have a "core charge" applied to them. This is a refundable charge that the manufacturer applies to ensure that the old part is returned to us. Customers are responsible for all shipping charges related to returning cores to us. Remember all core returns must be assembled, clean, complete with no missing parts, undamaged, and in the original packaging. If you have any questions on core charges please feel free to email thru dummy@dummy.COM and we will be happy to answer them.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB CLA Edition 1

Garage List
Quote:
I live on 2+ acres at the end of a long driveway that is monitored by video surveillance and other security measures. A package ain't going anywhere without knowing the who, what, when, & where.
Just because you do, it doesn't mean everybody else does. They are just protecting themselves. Anytime I order online I ask if sugniture will be required and if so I have it shipped to work of my parents house.
      02-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

i still hold your expectations are a bit unreasonable.

Target just did the same thing to me, as have many companies in the past. it's a PITA, but it's certainly not out of the ordinary
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Why didn't you just buy locally, from your own BMW dealer? Personally I prefer signature, that way no one can claim that it did or didn't ship or arrive. If you were selling thousands of parts per month, imagine how much time would be wasted trying to trace shipments that "weren't received", even if it were just a small percentage?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

Angry Minus 50 on bmwpartsunlimited.com (Cont'd)

UPS returned the item back to bmwpartsunlimited.com / Chapman BMW in Arizona.

A week later bmwpartsunlimited.com / Chapman BMW hasn't issued a refund. bmwpartsunlimited.com / Chapman BMW claims they can't find the returned item and now they are unresponsive.

This fits the definition of a bad business: unable/unwilling to resolve a problem. But apparently I have unreasonable expectations.

Thankfully I put it on my AMEX card, never a problem to dispute charges.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thumbs down

In the last episode of the Chapman BMW Keystone Kops, they agreed to accept the part return from UPS and issued a full credit.

When the part was returned by UPS, they simply shipped it out again via UPS ground, then claimed that they can't issue a credit because they can't find the returned part.

For the reading comprehension challenged, let's review:
  • Chapman BMW shipped the part out in a manner inconsistent with their own written shipping policies
  • Chapman BMW agreed to accept return of the part and issue a full refund
  • Chapman BMW did not issue a refund
  • Chapman BMW shipped the part out again, contrary to their agreement to accept the part return by UPS
  • While the part was in transit, Chapman BMW claims they can't issue a credit because they can't find the part that they just shipped out.

Hmmm, is someone in the parts department trying to throw a rug over their mistake at my exprense?

Maybe I am too demanding & unreasonable, but maybe it is not a stretch to suggest Chapman BMW has a few problems with policy, process, & integrity.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
If you were selling thousands of parts per month, imagine how much time would be wasted trying to trace shipments that "weren't received", even if it were just a small percentage?
Chapman BMW made the decision to open an Internet sales department and established & posted their shipping policies at their web site bmwpartsunlimited.com.

amazon.com ships out $15 billion+ of product each year. Most of these products are shipped out via UPS ground without signature service. A goodly portion of these shipments are delivered via USPS with USPS's very weak package tracking process.

If Chapman BMW is unable to conduct business on the Internet on a good faith basis, in a manner consistent with their own written policies, and Chapman BMW is unable to devote sufficient resources to support an Internet sales dept., maybe they should seriously reconsider whether to conduct business on the Internet.

It is interesting to note that Chapman BMW is engaging the exact "Package? What package??" slimeball behavior that you describe.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

lol, I dont understand why you continue this thread. It does not seem to me that the vendor did anything wrong. Seems to me most of your issues are self inflicted. Also, UPS does allow customer pick-up in the evenings (after the driver returns, it maybe 9:00 pm + ) at the location the UPS driver returns to.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IBMW View Post
. . . Seems to me most of your issues are self inflicted. Also, UPS does allow customer pick-up in the evenings (after the driver returns, it maybe 9:00 pm + )
It is not self-inflicted pain to drive across town at 9 - 10 pm to an unpleasant neighborhood to hang around a closed UPS center for an hour while they shovel through the trucks looking for a package?

Please ponder the possibility that most other people that work for a living choose to spend their time and energy more productively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135IBMW View Post
I dont understand why you continue this thread.
Please ponder the purpose of this forum.

Last edited by JejuneLegume; 04-23-2011 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #15
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

After issuing a few demands for the return of the part, Chapman BMW dba bmwpartsunlimited.com finally issued a full refund.

I'm not sure Chapman BMW ever caught on to the fact that shipping an item without customer authorization, then demanding payment for that part is called fraud. Lying to a customer in order to facilitate this process adds willful intent to the fraud.

If you don't mind going round in circles for months with a dishonest, fraudulent business, and have nothing better to do than drive to the bad part of town at 10 o'clock at night to retrieve mis-shipped packages, then vaya con Dios.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #16
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
It is not self-inflicted pain to drive across town at 9 - 10 pm to an unpleasant neighborhood to hang around a closed UPS center for an hour while they shovel through the trucks looking for a package?

Please ponder the possibility that most other people that work for a living choose to spend their time and energy more productively.
Just have it shipped to your office and stop whining about it...

Quote:
After issuing a few demands for the return of the part, Chapman BMW dba bmwpartsunlimited.com finally issued a full refund.

I'm not sure Chapman BMW ever caught on to the fact that shipping an item without customer authorization, then demanding payment for that part is called fraud. Lying to a customer in order to facilitate this process adds willful intent to the fraud.

If you don't mind going round in circles for months with a dishonest, fraudulent business, and have nothing better to do than drive to the bad part of town at 10 o'clock at night to retrieve mis-shipped packages, then vaya con Dios.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
JejuneLegume
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceworkbavaria View Post
Just have it shipped to your office and stop whining about it...:
This Internet stuff is a little confusing for the more thick amongst us.

Maybe a picture would help?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Wow, you are angry that Chapman BMW wanted to protect not only their own asses on this order, but your product from theft. How the hell were they supposed to know that you have cameras, a long driveway on large property, and that it is ok to not require a signature on delivery? I order from Amazon OFTEN, and every single package required a signature upon delivery.

Here's a news flash, UPS allows you 3 delivery attempts before shipping back. That is THREE separate days worth of trying. They also give you the exact DAY it'll be delivered, including weekends. They also allow you to make changes en-route if you need to change anything about the delivery. I know this because I just had something sent, via UPS, from Amazon. I had it tracked to the exact day of delivery, and I had the option to change the delivery if needed. Why didnt you have the product shipped to you work??? Why not ask a friend to help you out? You can also leave a note for the UPS driver to have it delivered to a neighbor if needed, thats an option on the note they leave for you when they make the first attempt to deliver.

Your thread would hold some weight if Chapman BMW didnt require a signature, and you had your order jacked. Signatures are required more times than not, for that exact reason. So you should get used to it, because signatures are required more times than not.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #19
JuuS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

+1

A dose of logic can be so refreshing in the mornings.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #20
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

poor baby
Appreciate 0