BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

http://consumerist.com/ and https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx are your friends. Be proactive. Document everything. Make this right.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
BIGWILL
I heard your eyeballs move Pvt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E Class 4Matic Sport Merc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Definitely report them to the Better Business Bureau!!!!
      05-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #25
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

The BBB is a toothless entity. Some say they're in bed with business. Don't expect much help from them.
      05-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #26
elisekelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yelp review for Sunshield

I have never, ever been treated so rudely before at this place. Horrible customer service! I actually left Sunshield in tears because Hamid, the owner, basically told me to f*** off. I would rate this place zero stars if I could.

Here's the background story. I took my brand new BMW 135i to get the windows tinted and selected a 35% tint all around- this should look fairly light on the car. My car was worked on for 40-45 minutes, and when they said it was done I was surprised. A good tint job usually takes at least 1 hour and 30 mins. When I went out to see my car, I could see that they had cut corners. There were water streaks in the tint and bubbles, and the hadn't cleaned my (leather) doors and instead let the water, spray solution, and glue drip onto my doors. Now the leather is stil discolored because whatever they sprayed on it dried it out.

This isn't the worst part yet. The whole time while I was at Sunshield I felt like cattle at the airport- they just herd you around. Hamid (the shady owner) has his wife schedule the appointments really close together so they are basically running an assembly line business. This place is definitely quantity instead of quality, as I found out. For the price of $125, you can't beat it. However, you do get what you pay for especially with automotive services. For this price, you get Madico's charcool (spelling?) tint, which has an unfortunate green color to it. It doesn't look classy at all.

After the tint was done, I looked closely at my car and realized that it was much darker than 35% should be. I then shrugged it off and figured that the tint only look dark because it was still wet. When I got back to my house, my boyfriend saw it and commented that it was way too dark to be 35%, which is a medium tint. The next day, I realized that it was way too dark. I even left the car parked all day in the sun (it's normally garaged) to see if the tint would dry lighter- no luck. My boyfriend then calls Hamid and asks why the tint is so dark, and all he does is argue with him! The wife then fires back that she has "cameras that show the guys installing 35% tint on my car" and all this other bull****. I was shocked that the owner was being so argumentative with me, instead of trying to remedy the situation.

Because Hamid had already argued with us about the tint percentage, we went to another shop with a tint meter. A tint meter is a MACHINE that measures the amount of light that comes through the windows- you cannot argue with a machine. Low and behold, my tint measures 25%, which is 10% darker than what i asked for (and also illegal). By now I'm really mad because Hamid basically lied to me said he was installing 35% on my car. So, we go back to Sunshield 3 days later and tell him that the tint is way too dark at 25%. Hamid starts yelling at us and arguing that the manufacturer said it was 35%, blah blah blah. He even told my boyfriend that he would bet him $100 that the tint on my car was 35%. What the hell?!! Who does that to a customer? Why would we want to give you more money after you already f***** up my car the first time?! Unbelievable.

At this point I just start crying because I can't believe how rude Hamid is treating us. What he should of done was offered to remove the tint for free and refunded my money, but nooooo. Instead, I had to call my credit card company and dispute the charge. I'm still waiting for the money to be refunded. Sunshield is a shady business and I wish I had never gone there- what a waste of time, money, and gas (it's in the valley).

If you do decided to go here, pay with your credit card so you can dispute the charge. Don't buy their $125 tint job, because they will leave your car with dirty doors and greenish tint that is much darker than what it is supposed to be. How can you argue with a tint meter that says the tint is 25%, when I asked for 35%? Remember that their display board where you can choose which tint you want is not representative of the tint you will get- especially the "high quality" one that is in the middle of the board. If you want 35%, I say choose 50% so your tint isn't too dark.

Shady ass place. Do not do business with these people. I am still in shock over what happened here- such bull****.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
mitch55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

I have a BSM with Black Interior. The windows are tinted at 35%. Yes the windows do look dark but not as dark as that.

In the garage, you would think my windows are like at 10% but in the sun they look 35%
      05-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

$125 for a 135i? sounds like a sweat shop. Good quality 3M tint at a very reputable shop around here is 250, but you get outstanding service and perfect installation.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #29
elisekelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yep unfortunately for automotive stuff you do get what you pay for. I didn't think that a tint shop would make such a huge mistake because too me it seems like a fairly straightforward thing. I'm still disputing the claim with my credit card company and I have to fax them all these documents. Hopefully I can get my money back but it's been weeks since this happened... Blah.

I learned the hard way definitely do not go to sunshield. Plus we had to remove the tint and it took the whole weekend to do it- Hamid didn't even offer to remove it. We had to use a clothes steamer on the rear window just to get all the glue off...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #30
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
125$ isn't bad.

I got mine done for 130$ cash, they did 50% and looks perfect. Not dark at all but still deflects the sun rays. They used Lumar as well with lifetime warranty. I believe Lumar is better/ more consistent then 3M.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #31
elisekelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

update: finally got money back from my credit card company, the claims process took FOREVER. definitely glad I paid with credit card though or else i'd be shit out of luck! thanks for all your help guys!! this window tinting experience has left a sour taste in my mouth so I'm not sure I want to re-tint the windows. what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #32
f1rst 1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1 & '09 Cayman S

it was def a suck situation, but tint is ALWAYS the first thing I do to my cars.

2013 BMW 335i XDrive M Sport 6spd
Cobb Tuned '09 135i
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #33
elisekelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yeah now I am all paranoid about the tint being too dark so I'll probably just go 50% or something... haha but you are right. it does look much better. thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0