BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Rinseless Wash VS Traditional Wash

Recently, I picked up Optimum No-Rinse Wash (ONR) and I've used to a couple times. Both times, it felt really weird! I'm still not convinced that this is a SAFER method compared to a traditional 2-bucket method soap/shampoo wash.

Also, whenever I view the blogs of all these high-end detailing shops, they always seem to be washing the car with soap rather than rinseless solutions before correcting the paint. This leads me to believe that the professionals still prefer the traditional soap 2 bucket method wash.

Can someone chime in?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

It will feel strange but once you use the product and the learning curve is over, you will understand it does have place. If you are still uncomfortable using it, stop and go back to the traditional way.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #3
hunginator
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i E82 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
It will feel strange but once you use the product and the learning curve is over, you will understand it does have place. If you are still uncomfortable using it, stop and go back to the traditional way.
thanks for your reply. i think i am beginning to get over the learning curve and i'm starting to build a comfort level with rinse less washes.

however, i still find it weird especially when it comes to spots that are harder to reach like in-between crevasses where it'll stay dirty since i can't physically attack those spots. whereas, with a hose i could at least spray water into every little spot.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

A good way to use a product like ONR is to wash with it every other time so that in-between you can do a traditional wash to help spray off the areas with a hose and water that are hard to get to and need rinsing.
      05-03-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

I use the waterless wash in low dirt situations. For example, I washed my car over the weekend and on Monday it rained on my way into work. So I used the waterless given the low dirt situation. Its very fast and effective, and helps me extend the time I get to drive a clean car without pulling out the hose. It's 5 minutes vs. 20-30 for the bigger process.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Here is how/when I use these types of products...

Light dust/dirt buildup (light road film from 1-2 short trips, perhaps some light rain): Waterless or Rinseless Wash
Moderate dust/dirt buildup (general road film from commuting for a few days, perhaps driving through some rain): Rinseless or Traditional Wash
Heavier dirt buildup (over 2 weeks of driving/road film build up, driving through rain/weather): Traditional wash

My theory here is that the more "debris" that is on my paint, the more lubrication I need to safely clean the surface without creating swirl marks or scratches.

Rinseless washes are a major part of my maintenance routine since they are quick, easy, and effective. I do traditional 3 bucket washes from time to time to get into the nooks and crannies more effectively.

Favorite Products:
Waterless Wash - CarPro ECH2O
Rinseless Wash - Optimum No Rinse
Traditional Wash - Optimum Car Wash, Meguiar's Hyper Wash

-Zach
Appreciate 1