BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
onenutt
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sedona Red 6MT

M3 Transmission Mounts

I recently replaced my stock transmission mounts with the M3 mounts and immediately noticed a new noise. When in motion and you disengage the clutch you get this knock/bang type of sound. Does not happen when I am not moving and it is hardly noticeable if you shift gears right away. I notice it most in stop and go traffic where I leave it in first gear and constantly disengage the clutch to control my speed.

Has anybody else experienced this? I was wondering if it will eventually go away as the mounts soften up or is it here for good? I assume it is because of the stiffer mounts? Anybody comments?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
onenutt
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenutt View Post
I recently replaced my stock transmission mounts with the M3 mounts and immediately noticed a new noise. When in motion and you disengage the clutch you get this knock/bang type of sound. Does not happen when I am not moving and it is hardly noticeable if you shift gears right away. I notice it most in stop and go traffic where I leave it in first gear and constantly disengage the clutch to control my speed.

Has anybody else experienced this? I was wondering if it will eventually go away as the mounts soften up or is it here for good? I assume it is because of the stiffer mounts? Anybody comments?
Actually.... the noise may be better described as a shudder or vibration. Only hear it when the car is moving a I push in the clutch without shifting.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 02:42 PM   #3
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

I've swapped in M3 mounts into my previous 128i and my current e91 328i and have not experienced the issue you describe.

I'd recheck to verify everything is snug to start. It's hard to diagnose bumps and rattles over the internet but it could be a loose nut.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
onenutt
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post
I've swapped in M3 mounts into my previous 128i and my current e91 328i and have not experienced the issue you describe.

I'd recheck to verify everything is snug to start. It's hard to diagnose bumps and rattles over the internet but it could be a loose nut.
The more I listen to the noise the more I think it just might be a vibration noise that happens when the torque is relieved from the drivetrain. I actually had the M3 mounts installed by the dealer so I will get them to check everything the next time I go back for service. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
I had them installed and did not hear any of the noises you describe. I noticed some gear whine at low speeds and more vibration during hard acceleration, but most importantly an improved shifter feel. 3 or 4 years later and they still feel the exact same.Would definitely get yours checked out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
onenutt
Private
Canada
Rep

Mine noise is a definite clunk/shudder/vibration of short duration when you push in the clutch when the car is in gear and in motion. I also hear it between first and second if I shift slowly. Does anybody know if this is maybe a sign of something else? Maybe the mounts just amplify the problem?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
onenutt
Private
Canada
Rep

Update on Drivetrain Noise

Just wanted to close the loop on this issue. I thought the vibration noise might be related to the M3 Transmission mounts so I had them replaced with brand new stock mounts. No difference.
So I had the Service Foreman from my dealership go for road test with me and he says the noise is completely normal. So my guess is the noise was always there and I just started to notice it after the transmission mount swap. If I am very gentle and smooth with the clutch you don't hear the noise. So for now I will consider it normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I have a clunk very similar to the one you're describing. I also get the clunk when setting-off from a stop. I've got the E46 M3 transmission mounts still. I'm beginning to think that it's a failing driveshaft center support bearing, or possibly a giubo.