BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #1
guywiththefro
Some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Kona/'10 135i

KW v2 No Rebound?

Hey all,

I'm sure I'll come off as stupid either way, but I'd rather learn from an expensive mistake then not.

So I recently purchased some used KW v2's from a member on this forum, and I decided to compress the rear shocks for an install, and they don't rebound (without the spring, when I compress the piston, it does not extend back).

Is this typical for this type of shock, or am I a moron for paying a bunch of money for broken shocks?

Now that I think about it, I never compressed the front struts, so I should see if the same thing happens...

Edit: I tried it with the fronts, and they act the same way. Seems like it's supposed to be this way...

Edit #2: Had the suspension installed, and they all worked fine. Threads were kind of fucked, but otherwise functional. On the softest setting, it was easy to move the strut piston. On the harsher settings, it was much harder (which makes perfect sense).
Attached Images

Last edited by guywiththefro; 01-09-2021 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Turns out, they work as they're supposed to
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Technically, controlling rebound would only entail not being able to pull the shaft out without real effort.

Nitrogen charged shocks will extend out on their own.

The shocks could still work reasonably well, but also be low on charge, if they pressurized.
      12-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

KW V2 is a twin tube low pressure design. There should be sufficient pressure to extend the shaft on its own unless you have the rebound adjustment turned up. Try the softest setting and see what it does.
Appreciate 0