E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fab Factory Intake Manifold

08-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

Fab Factory Intake Manifold

So I don't have any info other than I saw on Facebook n5x's page that Fab Factory has a manifold in progress. Is this anyone's here?

https://www.facebook.com/fabfactory?ref=ts&fref=ts
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Interesting....
      08-21-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Can't wait to see a completed shot, looks interesting.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Can't wait to see a completed shot, looks interesting.
hopefully they put up some nice details on the flow, not JUST a before and after dyno etc.

killing the kink in cylinder 1 alone will surely be a good thing, let alone the hopeful flow optimisation

just looking at the flanges though.. aint no way that's gonna be less than $2500.... heck, i'm expecting more like a $3k pricetag.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
AMERICUS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 04 330 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
hopefully they put up some nice details on the flow, not JUST a before and after dyno etc.

killing the kink in cylinder 1 alone will surely be a good thing, let alone the hopeful flow optimisation

just looking at the flanges though.. aint no way that's gonna be less than $2500.... heck, i'm expecting more like a $3k pricetag.
Definitely looks like a nice piece of hardware. Jumped right in too from the looks of it. No rapid prototype or anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICUS View Post
Definitely looks like a nice piece of hardware. Jumped right in too from the looks of it. No rapid prototype or anything.
i'm hoping they've done some CFD for it.. for the manifold size/shape/TB placement.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

More facebook tuners…yay

/Sarcasm
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #8
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Looks hella interesting. But what would be the benefits of this setup? Is the stock manifold a bottleneck?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Looks hella interesting. But what would be the benefits of this setup? Is the stock manifold a bottleneck?
if you head over to 1addicts, the owner of the car is on there and can give answers as to why etc.

but why i've been interested in it for a while... it's maybe not so much not a bottleneck as it's not perfect. plenum volume/shape.. throttle body placement.. intake runner length/diameter, and the crushed cylinder 1 runner... the stock manifold favours cylinders 2-5, 1 is choked as well.. just look at cyl6's carbon buildup - WAY worse.

everything you can do to make it easier for a cylinder to be filled with air will give you more power by making the engine work less hard

and at higher power levels that compounds even further as yes THEN it's a bit more of a bottleneck (as is the ports+valves, cams even.. which are all also upgradeable).. hey yeah does everyone here actually know schrick sells N54 cams? Found that out recently lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
'___'
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Looks interesting, but I'm not a fan of how quickly the runners transition from round to oval...that will likely create some turbulence and slow down the charge air. Also not a fan of the bellmouths not having any undercut in the plenum. Bellmouths with an undercut are proven to flow better and provide better discharge coefficients which create more laminar airflow.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
CHECKERED
ex deus machina
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30, F15, Audi S4

Quote:
if you head over to 1addicts, the owner of the car is on there and can give answers as to why etc.

but why i've been interested in it for a while... it's maybe not so much not a bottleneck as it's not perfect. plenum volume/shape.. throttle body placement.. intake runner length/diameter, and the crushed cylinder 1 runner... the stock manifold favours cylinders 2-5, 1 is choked as well.. just look at cyl6's carbon buildup - WAY worse.

everything you can do to make it easier for a cylinder to be filled with air will give you more power by making the engine work less hard
Everything stated is absolutely true, however 3-4K for 8hp will be a tough pill to swallow, which is why no one has an aftermarket IM even those running singles, an IM on a FI application is useless.
Gone: E92 335i N54 468rwtq
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Blaizon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe & 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
Everything stated is absolutely true, however 3-4K for 8hp will be a tough pill to swallow, which is why no one has an aftermarket IM even those running singles, an IM on a FI application is useless.
It's not pointless if the IM is another restriction. Right now we don't know if it is, but I would suspect there are gains to be found. Especially for us big turbo people. I hope they don't go too short with the runners though. Optimally if you're changing the manifold, I would do cams, and light head work.

Has anyone cut open an OEM manifold?
      08-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

TB location is lame on the stock mani and the cyl1 runner is gross. Otherwise it doesn't seem too awful to me based on my highly scientific eye balling of it.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
'___'
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaizon View Post
It's not pointless if the IM is another restriction. Right now we don't know if it is, but I would suspect there are gains to be found. Especially for us big turbo people. I hope they don't go too short with the runners though. Optimally if you're changing the manifold, I would do cams, and light head work.

Has anyone cut open an OEM manifold?
The OEM manifold has a few things going for it and a few going against it. The biggest of the two are:

Bad...less than optimal equalization of flow between all cylinders and a gnarly hump in the cylinder 1 runner.

Good...the plenum has a good amount of volume and an extra "pocket" of space just after the throttle body that is there to increase volume and slow down the incoming air so it can more easily make the turns necessary to get to the cylinder in need. This is also added by the 90* bend in the charge pipe just before the TB, which also helps to slow down the incoming charge air. This tactic has been used by a bunch of aftermarket manis by way of throttle body angle to runner placement. Examples of such are the 2JZ and RB motors.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED
Quote:

It's not about the 8hp. This is especially important when you start running all these bigger turbos. Keeping power equal between cylinders will net longer and stronger crank life, bearing life, rod life etc because the forces across the crank will be more equal. One major advantage is tuning will be more consistent. It's tough to make one or 2 cylinders happy when the other 4 are fine. An engine would really benefit more from a mani if the compression is dropped and has head work done with a big turbo. Stock turbos you probably won't see huge benefits
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '___' View Post
Looks interesting, but I'm not a fan of how quickly the runners transition from round to oval...that will likely create some turbulence and slow down the charge air. Also not a fan of the bellmouths not having any undercut in the plenum. Bellmouths with an undercut are proven to flow better and provide better discharge coefficients which create more laminar airflow.
Quote:
The OEM manifold has a few things going for it and a few going against it. The biggest of the two are:

Bad...less than optimal equalization of flow between all cylinders and a gnarly hump in the cylinder 1 runner.

Good...the plenum has a good amount of volume and an extra "pocket" of space just after the throttle body that is there to increase volume and slow down the incoming air so it can more easily make the turns necessary to get to the cylinder in need. This is also added by the 90* bend in the charge pipe just before the TB, which also helps to slow down the incoming charge air. This tactic has been used by a bunch of aftermarket manis by way of throttle body angle to runner placement. Examples of such are the 2JZ and RB motors.
+1

I'm going to try and stay oval on mine whenever I have a spacer/flange to work with. Motiv is making august drag out so long lol.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/ovaltube.html

Haven't played with the throttle actuator yet but I'd like to run one of these with it.
http://www.rossmachineracing.com/throttlebody90mm.html

EDIT: Also not a fan of this manifolds runner design. But OFH gets in the way that is why I'm going to delete it.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Before playing with inlet manifold my first part if making would be intake pipe. The stock ones are almost flat in places and are prone to leak at turbos. Also one that does not require engine removal would be nice. Why try and allow more air in when bottle neck is before the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #18
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon335 View Post
Before playing with inlet manifold my first part if making would be intake pipe. The stock ones are almost flat in places and are prone to leak at turbos. Also one that does not require engine removal would be nice. Why try and allow more air in when bottle neck is before the turbos.
Because this is not for stock frame gains....
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKERED View Post
it'll be more than 8hp, especially for people with maxed out VTT2/RB, and singles.

IM on FI is definitely not useless, EVERYTHING on FI compounds more than on NA.

just look at 4g, 2j, rb dynos stock vs hypertune etc... 40+whp seen at a 500-600whp base. that's solid power - albeit their stock manifolds are even worse than ours i believe lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
TB location is lame on the stock mani and the cyl1 runner is gross. Otherwise it doesn't seem too awful to me based on my highly scientific eye balling of it.
yeah, i mean.. just look at the single turbos running so far.. and the twins even (VTT3).. they're making more power for a given boost level on the N54 than they do on other 6cyl turbo motors, so it's obvious everything is working together pretty well

but the bigger power you go, the more effect little changes have, i guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeniator View Post
+1

I'm going to try and stay oval on mine whenever I have a spacer/flange to work with. Motiv is making august drag out so long lol.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/ovaltube.html

Haven't played with the throttle actuator yet but I'd like to run one of these with it.
http://www.rossmachineracing.com/throttlebody90mm.html

EDIT: Also not a fan of this manifolds runner design. But OFH gets in the way that is why I'm going to delete it.
i found that tube myself a little while ago, baffled as to why they didn't use it! would have to be better for flow, even if marginally.

our TB comes stock big enough to be happy at 1000hp+ though, so no real need to look at an upgrade i wouldn't think haha
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #20
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

i found that tube myself a little while ago, baffled as to why they didn't use it! would have to be better for flow, even if marginally.

our TB comes stock big enough to be happy at 1000hp+ though, so no real need to look at an upgrade i wouldn't think haha
Yeah it is more so we have a off the shelf flange and you could push 1000whp on the stock but it won't flow as well as a 90mm. It should be a perfect size for a 1-1.5X displacment plenum. I was thinking run a D main tube with the oval runners with velocity stacks. Delete the OFH for space and run a block off plate with remote filter/thermostat. Same with the coolant tap. I really need to spend more time on it but I've been busy. When I get back from AZ in september I should start making more progress. Same with the oiling side of things.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #21
Blaizon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe & 335i Sedan

Quote:

Good post!
      09-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #22
anttmann
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' CQM M3

hey all saw some people had some interest in this manifold I'm and the one who is testing it i have some updated progress pictures on 1addicts heres is the link for all who are interested price is still not set in stone we were just throwing the 3k in there for a placeholder we are thinking of a doing a testing program for a reduced price so we can see how these perform under different situations with different setups please feel free to email directly and questions or interest in the testing program to shawn@fab-factory.com
and link to 1addicts post is : http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026445

here is also some updated progress pictures :
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
6MT

Antoine Spignardo
Appreciate 1