E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shaking when turning steering wheel at low speeds

09-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Shaking when turning steering wheel at low speeds

By now, I'm sure most of you have had this problem with 4-5 year old E90, E92 335's.

What happens is when you first back out of your garage, and your steering wheel is turned full left or right. Then you turn it full left or right in the opposite direction, applying gas, to get going. Suddenly you feel this juttering coming from the front of the car. If you stop turning or stop gasing the pedal, it goes away.

Multiple searching reveals that it is a power steering issue although it isn't confirmed because people who mentioned the dealer replacing the P/S didn't solve this issue. Another claims it is the tire and asphault and puts a lot of stress on the P/S when in low speeds. That could be true, given the age of the car and P/S, but it's never done that much.

Most of the time however, when I'm at a dead stop, I attempt to reproduce the problem and turn the steering wheel full left, then full right. This is probably maximum stress as the vehicle is not moving. Well guess what, it doesn't shutter/shake.

So it appears that either it is the following:

1. In the mornings (not that hot or cold 85F), when the car is first started and just turned on, then when backing out and utilizing the P/S to full left/right, then this problem occurs.

2. Also, notice this when coming home from 2 hour drive and pulling into driveway. This suggests another possibility : that it is the type of asphault/concrete that puts more stress/friction on the tires and makes the P/S work harder.

For starters, the car is all stock, with Michelin Super Sport standard size tires. 225/40/18 front, 255/35/18.

Power steering fluid is supposed to last a long, long time though. 10 years, as it is a closed loop system and is not hydroscopic like brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
ace335
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Have the same problem on mine. Not so sure if its the tires or the power steering.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Gate7
Oh rly?
Rep
Drives: 335i

Have the same issue, I plan on taking it in before the warranty expires soon to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I notice for a second or two that while I back out of my driveway and I turn a bit that the wheel will chatter or shake. I assume its somewhat normal....

Ive had a feeling that my PS pump is going anyway so I have a used one sitting in my garage if the current one goes.
      09-06-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

Yes, it sounds like everyone is having the same issues or will have the same issues.

That sounds like the MTBF of some part has failed or there is a systematic design problem somewhere where all cars have been affected.

That's why I'm wondering why nobody has an indication as to what this problem is.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
Yes, it sounds like everyone is having the same issues or will have the same issues.

That sounds like the MTBF of some part has failed or there is a systematic design problem somewhere where all cars have been affected.

That's why I'm wondering why nobody has an indication as to what this problem is.
I don't know if its possible for the pump to cause this phenomenon but I assume thats what it must be.

I would offer to put in my used pump to help diagnose but A) my current one isn't dead yet and B) the one I have is used so for all I know it will work fine but might still have this "issue"

One way to test would to try to hold the wheel in the position where it shakes and see if the revs are moving up and down as well as this would indicate the pump I think