E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adding Extended Warranty to used car?

09-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Adding Extended Warranty to used car?

So I found a car I really like (08 e92 335 coupe) but it has a wastegate rattle, needs walnut blasting, and some other issues. The asking price is $15k and it has 65k miles so that's a good deal to me, but I would want to add on an extended warranty and I'm afraid it won't cover those issues if they eventually caused a problem.. Am I right..?? I've never bought an extended warranty so I'm not sure how in depth they go prior to purchasing it, if they would know about these prexisting conditions or not?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 JB 330i Non-Sport

Is the car for sale by an individual or a dealership? If a dealer, ask them about the warranty company they use. If an individual, you'd have to call the warranty provider of your choice, I'd imagine.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Most credit unions offer them... even if you dont finance your car there they can sell you one.

If you or someone in your immediate family has served in the armed forces you can join Penfed and buy one from them (Route 66).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
So I found a car I really like (08 e92 335 coupe) but it has a wastegate rattle, needs walnut blasting, and some other issues. The asking price is $15k and it has 65k miles so that's a good deal to me, but I would want to add on an extended warranty and I'm afraid it won't cover those issues if they eventually caused a problem.. Am I right..?? I've never bought an extended warranty so I'm not sure how in depth they go prior to purchasing it, if they would know about these prexisting conditions or not?

Thanks!
Take the VIN number of the car, run a carfax (or similar) to get info on the car's history. Go to your local BMW dealership service adviser to see if they would be nice enough show you the service history and spec sheet of the car (DAVIS report, is the term they use).
* Ask the SA (Service Adviser), What is the car's in-service date and in service mileage (probably something less than 20 miles).
* Ask the SA if the car is a salvaged car and/or if it has any factory warranty/CPO/Extended CPO/Recalls still open on the car.
* These cars all have an 8 year/82k mile warranty on the "unpleasant" rattle sound for the wastegates (It's not a turbo warranty, but since the wastegates are attached to the turbo... they have to change it all out if the wastegates have the unpleasant sound).
* These cars all have a 10 year\120k mile warranty on the HPFP (Includes free towing, free loaner while the car is being fixed, free part, and free labor).
* These cars commonly have an open recall for the positive Battery Safety Terminal issue which means they need to change out the battery terminal connecter from a plastic piece which can melt to a metal connector.

You can ask about an extended warranty... but honestly... most of those warranties are a scam. They almost never pay out in full. Plus if you were to pay out of pocket for the same work at an Indy mechanic they would cost 1/2 as much. Your better off spending some money to have the vehicle properly inspected at a Private Party Inspection (PPI) for $100 to make sure the car doesn't have any major issues that can be seen.

Things my CPO never covered:
* BMW Assist TCU failed - CPO not covered
* D1S ballast failed - CPO not covered
* Wastegate rattle under 82k miles - 3 dealers say it's within spec for some noise
* Bi xenon auto headlight level broken after hard pothole hit - Not covered under CPO
* Leaking hose - Not covered under CPO

Were any of the above items hard to fix with ebay parts and a little DIY or INDY labor??? it was super simple for most of this stuff and cheap.

Things will break on the car, but honestly... find a good Indy mechanic near you and you should be fine.

Walnut blasting - You might need to do this once every 100k miles (If your anal about it... do it every 50k miles), most Indy shops charge about $250-$300 to do this service
* try to time the walnut blasting around the time of doing the spark plugs since it's easier and no additional labor
* try to have them clean out the VANOS solenoids with some brake cleaner, simple to do should not cost anything cuz you are already torn down from the spark plugs work.
* try to see if they will cut you a huge deal on changing out the Oil Filter Housing Gasket (OFHG) because that tends to leak and everything is already torn down from the walnut blasting.
* While everything is apart... have them look at your Valve Cover Gasket (VCG) for leaks, this is also a common issue but a lot of the tear down is done for walnut blasting.
* Consider having a BMS OCC (Oil Catch Can) installed, so that you get less blow by into your intake pipes so you hopefully get less carbon build up in the future for blasting

enjoy your n54!!!

Last edited by fazman; 09-08-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Wow great info ^^ thank you..!!
Appreciate 0