E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > mismatched tires?

12-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

mismatched tires?

My rear Michelin A/S 3 tires are bold and need to be replaced. They lasted about 20k miles, which is not bad considering staggered setup and all... Fronts are also A/S 3's and look almost brand new.

Now, for the past 2 winters, the AS3 were merely ok in the snow (barely useful); however, their wet and dry performance is simply amazing.

The question is, should I go with Continental DSW 06 for my rear tires, or suck it up and get another set of AS3s? Apparently, DSW06 should be much better in snow.

By the time rears wear out again, I think it will be the time to replace all four tires anyways, so the mismatched setup would only last about 20k miles.

*I do not have storage to have separate winter tires, so that is not an option.
--------------------------------------
Quick update:

I got continental DWS 06.

After 10 miles, I called the place and ordered Michelin AS3. These things are going back.

I will gladly suffer in snow, but I will not have these tires on my car. I got BMW for handling and not for boaty feel. Holly crap did they made my car feel soft. It feels like rear end just rolls and rolls until tires hit the limit and then grip. They are not confidence inducing and feel very unpredictable.

Actually it's not all that bad. DWS 06 are quieter than AS3. They are softer, absorb bumps much better, and inline grip is on par with AS. However, the the feel is lost. The rear end felt like the tires were completely flat. As3 are very responsive and sure footed. Yes they are loud and harsh, but they provide sharp handling.

So, unless you are looking for softer ride and don't mind losing the direct steering feel go with DWS, otherwise steer clear. Get AS3

Last edited by W37V; 12-23-2015 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #2
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

The reality? You will be fine mixing tires with similar characteristics. I would think the as3 and the contis have somewhat similar sidewall and compounding characteristics.
But I wouldn't mix them on my bimmer. I care too much about(perceived) handling. I have mixed brand tires on my work commuter tho...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

That is my concern as well. But you make very valid point. They should be very similar performance wise, thus the ride shouldn't be affected as much.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
driverman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i 6MT - SOLD

I'd put new A/S 3s in the rear, giving you a matched set, and reevaluate when all 4 tires are worn out.

I wouldn't run different tires in front and rear because they'll probably have different handling and braking characteristics, upsetting the balance of your car. Could be dangerous.

Last edited by driverman; 12-10-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
335commuter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Absolutely use matched tires. I bought a set of BBS for my old Audi knowing the tires weren't matched. They were a good deal and I planned on replacing all 4 tires after a month or so anyway. Thought they were a good enough match until I had the time to change all 4, even though they were different brands. In the dry, they were ok, even if the car didn't feel right. In the rain, they were downright sketchy and the car had a sudden snap oversteer tendency. Needless to say, I immediately went out and bought four new matching tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 03:18 AM   #6
Some Asian Guy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

I think you'll be fine with mismatched tires with similar characteristics. I ran bridgestone pp s04 in front and bridgestone re760's on the rear and I didn't wreck or die. I really didn't even notice the difference, the car still handled its business on the twisties. I even drove home 30 miles in one of the worst snow/ice storms DFW has ever seen and lived to tell about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 05:10 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Interesting question! I had this exact same issue with my Z4 just 2 weeks ago (I went with 4 new tires).

So I've run both of those tires. I just put A/S 3's on my Z4 and have a set already on my Wife's Z3. I've also run two sets of DSW's on my E90 (the DWS 06's and just the DWS's). So I'm familiar with both tires. The DSW and DSW 06s are great in snow (for an all-season). I've not used the A/S 3's in the snow, but my Wife easily got the Z3 stuck in the front yard in the rain one day (long story - don't ask); so the A/S 3 's probably suck in the snow, just like I've read about.

Since BMWs have decent traction control and stability control, using mixed matched tires is not as bad as it used to be. If you are running mostly in the dry and rain, then based on my familiarity with both tire types, you could probably get away with it. However considering gaps in snow performance between the two tire types, I'd think that might get you in trouble. Also, if you drive real aggressively, you may not want to mix match tires simply because the car may lose some predictability (but it could be fun as long as you don't crash ). Lastly, Tire Rack has a test that includes both the Conti DWS 06 and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. The Miche's actually have a better dry/wet performance rating than the Conti's. You should review that test and see what you think. Great thing about the Rack is they use current 3 series as their test cars.

If it were me, I'd buy a tire depth gauge, measure the tread depths of the front vs. rear and see how much the rear wear faster than the fronts. If the fronts are at say 5/32nds (halfway worn) and the rears are at the wear bars, then you can be pretty sure you'll wear out the fronts about the same time the rears go again. If that's the case I's go with some more A/S 3's.

You also need to consider the difference in using the same tires but with different tread depths; is that worse than using two different types of tires? Who knows...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-11-2015 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

As long as you replace with something "similar" it will be fine. Don't go put super summer tires on an axle and winter on the other axle, that is recipe for disaster. Obviously always the same tires with same wear on the same axle.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 07:12 AM   #9
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I wouldn't. I would pony up and get a complete set of tires of the same brand.

However slight, i'm sure there are characteristics in other makes and models of tires that will make for some adverse performance effects when mixed with other tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #10
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Solution: get blizzaks for winter and MPSS or RE71R for summer. AS/3s suck compared to seasonal tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 08:19 AM   #11
motoguy128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Sometimes you can adjust imbalances just using tire pressure, but sometimes ti can really cause handling issues. I did some mismatching of different compounds and tire types on my motorcycle on the racetrack and sometimes it worked, but this one time it created a very ,very loose rear end on he bike. Lets just say it was more like riding a mottorard than sportbike those sessions. I chewed through that tire in about 30 minutes of riding, just shredded it.... and nearly high sided a few times in the process. Not fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #12
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Interesting question! I had this exact same issue with my Z4 just 2 weeks ago (I went with 4 new tires).

So I've run both of those tires. I just put A/S 3's on my Z4 and have a set already on my Wife's Z3. I've also run two sets of DSW's on my E90 (the DWS 06's and just the DWS's). So I'm familiar with both tires. The DSW and DSW 06s are great in snow (for an all-season). I've not used the A/S 3's in the snow, but my Wife easily got the Z3 stuck in the front yard in the rain one day (long story - don't ask); so the A/S 3 's probably suck in the snow, just like I've read about.

Since BMWs have decent traction control and stability control, using mixed matched tires is not as bad as it used to be. If you are running mostly in the dry and rain, then based on my familiarity with both tire types, you could probably get away with it. However considering gaps in snow performance between the two tire types, I'd think that might get you in trouble. Also, if you drive real aggressively, you may not want to mix match tires simply because the car may lose some predictability (but it could be fun as long as you don't crash ). Lastly, Tire Rack has a test that includes both the Conti DWS 06 and the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. The Miche's actually have a better dry/wet performance rating than the Conti's. You should review that test and see what you think. Great thing about the Rack is they use current 3 series as their test cars.

If it were me, I'd buy a tire depth gauge, measure the tread depths of the front vs. rear and see how much the rear wear faster than the fronts. If the fronts are at say 5/32nds (halfway worn) and the rears are at the wear bars, then you can be pretty sure you'll wear out the fronts about the same time the rears go again. If that's the case I's go with some more A/S 3's.

You also need to consider the difference in using the same tires but with different tread depths; is that worse than using two different types of tires? Who knows...
AS3 do suck in snow, so it's not your wife

I agree with your observation about the similarity in tire's performance, so there shouldn't be huge difference in handling. I did read TR's review and both tires seem to perform very similar.

Tire depth on the front ones in about 9/32. I never had issue with stopping or steering in snow on AS3s. However, getting moving is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
As long as you replace with something "similar" it will be fine. Don't go put super summer tires on an axle and winter on the other axle, that is recipe for disaster. Obviously always the same tires with same wear on the same axle.
I agree. I drove on summer tires in snow and that was one of the worst scariest experiences i had in my entire life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I wouldn't. I would pony up and get a complete set of tires of the same brand.

However slight, i'm sure there are characteristics in other makes and models of tires that will make for some adverse performance effects when mixed with other tires.
That is another option. I don't mind getting all 4 of the same, but I feel it's wasteful as the fronts are barely worn. I am considering doing DWS06 all around. The other option is to go square. But to match the front ones, my rears would be too skinny and not really solving anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel Toe View Post
Solution: get blizzaks for winter and MPSS or RE71R for summer. AS/3s suck compared to seasonal tires.
Really?
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #13
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

I had a similar situation. Bridgestone runflats on the front and new Michelin PSS on the rear. It drove really strange and I wound up just buying a set of front PSS and all was well.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLIEN View Post
I had a similar situation. Bridgestone runflats on the front and new Michelin PSS on the rear. It drove really strange and I wound up just buying a set of front PSS and all was well.
Ouch... That must've been horrible setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Nothing wrong at all with "mismatched" tires. I have had Pirellis on the front and Contis on the rear for the last 7k miles. 19" wheels staggered 225/35 front and and 255/30 rear. Any problem is perception only, as evidenced by some of the replies on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #16
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
Nothing wrong at all with "mismatched" tires. I have had Pirellis on the front and Contis on the rear for the last 7k miles. 19" wheels staggered 225/35 front and and 255/30 rear. Any problem is perception only, as evidenced by some of the replies on this thread.
There would be almost no dilemma if it was same brand. But two different brands is what is bothering me the most.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #17
gerryE90
Rep
Drives: '11 335i

I would not do it. It seems your main complaint for switching is SNOW performance. It might be OK in the summer dry, but I think too dangerous on winter snows.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 06:02 PM   #18
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
I am currently running 245 DWS06 in the front and 275 V12 in the rear and no issue at all... I likely have to switch to a 265 in the rear once I make the rear switch to the DWS06 due to square/wider tire. Just got tired of blowing out sidewalls/damaged sidewalls on the V12's and have to dump them with 50% wear left.
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
I am currently running 245 DWS06 in the front and 275 V12 in the rear and no issue at all... I likely have to switch to a 265 in the rear once I make the rear switch to the DWS06 due to square/wider tire. Just got tired of blowing out sidewalls/damaged sidewalls on the V12's and have to dump them with 50% wear left.
How are you liking 06s?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryE90 View Post
I would not do it. It seems your main complaint for switching is SNOW performance. It might be OK in the summer dry, but I think too dangerous on winter snows.
They are very similar tires. But, AS3 does not provide the best moving traction in snow. Stopping and steering with AS3 was never an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #21
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
How are you liking 06s?
Really like them, hear the sidewall is upgraded on the 06 and feels great to me... Bought 6 of them the last 2 months and almost done with 2 cars so I must like them!
E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #22
CookMaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 TB

I would stay with the all weather tire and the same brand. I would also go minimalist on the tire size. Winter requires a heavy (narrow) pad print to maximize weight on the foot print. This helps in snow traction and ice traction. While most would like low profile, wide tires. . . This won't suit you. Get standard tire/wheel size rims and keep good rubber on them. You don't have many serious snow/ice days, so this should serve your needs in DC. Mismatched tires from different manufacturers are just a disaster waiting to happen.