E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > my car is officially broken in.. first long roadtrip.

03-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
my car is officially broken in.. first long roadtrip.

I drove from Virginia to the border of NC/SC.. stopping at various places along the way.. Usually i would have taken my daily driver but I needed the navigation. A few of Pros / Cons, some of this has already been mentioned before.

1. I was caught in a thunderstorm on 95, the brakes were an absolute charm to work with. This must be mostly due to the Enhanced Braking System which kept the brakes dry.. I could tell a big difference between this and the brakes on my 1991 LS400

2. The auto sensing windshield wipers is on crack, it always wanted to go maximum speed. I found myself quite frequently just manually adjusting the speed.

3. The ride on the run-flats isquite harsh, i would love to go to PS2s but having no spare tire is not so comfortable.

4. The seats are a bitch to adjust. I let my friend drive for the 2nd half of the trip and i could not get the seats back to where i liked it even when i had memory setting saved, it just didn't feel right again.. The drive back, my lower back started hurting.

5. Searching for businesses suck ass using the navigation. Especially when you don't know what category it falls under, i wish there was a "search all categories" button.

6. When you turn off the navigation screen, i wish it would turn off completely, not just shut off the graphics and leave the screen on. It can be quite distracting at night when you just want it off.

7. Traffic info is so retardly late. Only after 10 mins of being stuck at a traffic jam did it tell me there was a traffic jam there. Then the dynamic re-routing was going to take me pretty adrift.. I turned it off and worked out alot better. It did prompt me if i wanted to re-route.

8. I wish there was an auto-scaling feature. Based on your route list, if you get on the interstate, it would scale out to 1 or 2.5 mile scale and when you get on to the local roads, it will zoom into 400m or 800m.

9. I thought the first oil change was due at 15,000? However, my car is saying it's due at 12,000 miles.. will this still be covered under the maintanence plan?

10. The ipod adapter is the best thing. Having 60gb at your disposal to hear anything you want at anytime was great. I can't believe I lived without this in my previous rides.

11. Why do we have to remove the navi dvd to play an MP3 DVD.. They should have made the DVD drive on both slots, it doesn't cost them any different.

12. The car gets great looks, I have been getting complements everywhere. And I am mostly stock, I could only imagine what most of you guys get.

13. The Valentine One is god's gift to mankind. Saved my ass 3 times this weekend.

14. Cruising at ~85mph, it seemed like the tranny got lazy.. When at a few on-ramps, it didn't want to downshift that quickly. Thank god for the paddles, they are so damn convenient, especially when you have a drink in one hand. I Don't trust those cup holders for a damn.

15. The "Theater" settings in the Logic 7 is pretty damn useless unless you have a NavTV tuner or the euro navi that plays DVDs.

16. The audio system does lack quality, i can't wait for the BSW line to be available.

Sorry for the useless Rant, i just wanted to let it out. I love this car, it's an absolute charm to drive. The power is there whenever you want it, the interior is great and comfortable. Probably the best car i have ever owned.
      03-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
LA_BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Good reveiw..Very informative
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
tmoney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnptel1 View Post
5. Searching for businesses suck ass using the navigation. Especially when you don't know what category it falls under, i wish there was a "search all categories" button.
9. I thought the first oil change was due at 15,000? However, my car is saying it's due at 12,000 miles.. will this still be covered under the maintanence plan?
Nice comments overall.

Searching for addresses using the iDrive NAV sux bigtime. I often find myself using my Blackberry/Google to search for addresses and manually entering them into iDrive for navigiation.

Regarding the oil change, you should have no probs getting oil changed via scheduled maintenance. My understanding is that dealers will service cars based on the car's service alerts, and not always the maint schedule. Everybody has different driving habits.

What's your daily driver? Also, is your last name Patel? (just guessing from your username).

E90 335i
- Black Sapphire on Terra // Full M-Tech Kit // Euro clear headlights // Vorsteiner vented hood // Gloss black front grill // Gloss black window trim // Carbon fiber splitters // Carbon fiber trunk spoiler // BMW Performance 19's

Last edited by tmoney; 03-09-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

17. Add a performance mod of your choice to really wake up the car for that "extra" passing power!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

3. I was in the same position as you with the tires. But then I discovered that Michelin now offers PS 2 runflats. Although it is still a runflat tire, it is a great performance tire without having to worry about a spare. Not a bad compromise imo.
      03-10-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I would probably agree with you on mostly all of the items you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
They'll cover you for the maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney View Post
Nice comments overall.

Searching for addresses using the iDrive NAV sux bigtime. I often find myself using my Blackberry/Google to search for addresses and manually entering them into iDrive for navigiation.

Regarding the oil change, you should have no probs getting oil changed via scheduled maintenance. My understanding is that dealers will service cars based on the car's service alerts, and not always the maint schedule. Everybody has different driving habits.

What's your daily driver? Also, is your last name Patel? (just guessing from your username).
yes, my last name is patel. my daily driver is a 1991 LS400
      03-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowturbo View Post
3. I was in the same position as you with the tires. But then I discovered that Michelin now offers PS 2 runflats. Although it is still a runflat tire, it is a great performance tire without having to worry about a spare. Not a bad compromise imo.
yeah, they are called ZPs (zero pressure) but i don't think they are available in our tire size.. (which is really ironic because i think we have the most common tire size)
      03-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
They'll cover you for the maintenance.
      03-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

Very informative. Thanks. I'll be driving from MD to FL in about a week...long ass drive.