BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
1descending
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

A/C no longer working on driver's side

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about what might be wrong with my 09 135i's climate control system.

Right now, if I set both driver and passenger sides to the coldest setting, cold air comes out the passenger vents and ambient temp. air seems to come from the driver's side (ie: it's not cold but it doesn't appear to be heated either). If I turn the driver's side to the hottest setting, heated air will come from the driver's side air vents.

From the googling I've done so far, I have seen the following possibilities:

1) Low A/C refrigerant which can be fixed with a simple recharge. Though this may also indicate a leak in the system. Honestly, this one doesn't make much sense to me -- wouldn't this result in some amount of cooled air coming from both sides but not enough to actually get the interior temp. down? But anyway, it's something that a lot of people are saying.

2) Blend door actuator is not working. This one makes more sense to me. But I am able to get heated air from the driver's side, so does that tell us anything here?

I don't really have the money for an expensive A/C repair at the moment, so I'm looking for some of the cheaper solutions I can try first, or some of the easier DIY ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

My money is on #2. Get a scan tool reader and check for faults for the HVAC system. It will tell you whats wrong. Or go to a indi or dealer and have them read it for one hours labor rate.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
1descending
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
My money is on #2. Get a scan tool reader and check for faults for the HVAC system. It will tell you whats wrong. Or go to a indi or dealer and have them read it for one hours labor rate.
I have a very basic OBD-II reader but I'm guessing I need something a little fancier than that.

If I do need to replace the blend door actuator, is it a total nightmare involving disassembly of the entire dash? Or by some miracle is it somewhat accessible?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 04:13 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending View Post
I have a very basic OBD-II reader but I'm guessing I need something a little fancier than that.
Yes, you will need a real scan tool and not a generic OBDII reader. I would just go to a dealer or indi and have them read the code.

Or you could buy a BavTech reader or BMWhat app or BMW Carly app and see if those will read the HVAC system. I onky know that the BavTech reader can read the HVAC system.

Quote:
If I do need to replace the blend door actuator, is it a total nightmare involving disassembly of the entire dash? Or by some miracle is it somewhat accessible?
I don't know, but normally replacing an actuator isn't that hard.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
mtnova
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

According to service information all six actuators can be replaced without removal of dash.

My vehicle actually has the opposite issue where cold air comes out of driver side irrespective of the temp setting when ac is activated. Passenger works fine. I don't think it's a blend door my vehicle reports it opens using diag tools but it waits to open until temp is at highest setting. So besides a blend door maybe a air temp sensor somewhere, there are three total in our hvac system.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
mars_e30
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

What if your heater valve was faulty? Coolant leaking past one of the solenoid valves inside the dual-zone heater control valve could warm the heater core on that one side of the car. That could explain the warmer air on just 1 side. I had this happen in an E46 that I had years ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I just had this exact same issue. No cold air coming from the drivers side vents.
3 months ago I had the system recharged. All is well now.

The independent shop I used put in a dye to check for leaks. It probably has a small leak somewhere. I can deal with a once a year recharge VS. a $1200 bill to remove the dash to replace the evaporator. The evaporator is most likely the problem according to my indy shop mechanics.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:41 AM   #8
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

It is low Freon. That's a typical symptom of low freon
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

This is very common and is the first sign of being low on refrigerant.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:33 PM   #10
onenutt
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sedona Red 6MT

Drivers side a/c not as cold as passenger side.

Going to revive an old thread to try and get some advice. I thought my a/c wasn't as cold as it used to be so I took it in to my local indy and asked them to recharge the system. They told me that the passenger side was normal but the drivers side was not getting as cold. They said it is either the blend door or the actuator and it would be a minimum of 10 hours to take the thing apart to find out. They did not do a recharge because they said it would make no difference.

So now I am left wondering if it needs a recharge or not? When I turn the drivers side temp control to the colderst setting I have hear something shutting closed. Likewise when I turn the drives side temp to the hottest setting I also hear something close. I would assume what I am hearing is the blend door?

Does this mean that my blend door is working? I get heat and I get cold... just not very cold. Could it be that the system needs a recharge and the Indy has misdiagnosed? I have the automatic system if that makes any difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenutt View Post
Going to revive an old thread to try and get some advice. I thought my a/c wasn't as cold as it used to be so I took it in to my local indy and asked them to recharge the system. They told me that the passenger side was normal but the drivers side was not getting as cold. They said it is either the blend door or the actuator and it would be a minimum of 10 hours to take the thing apart to find out. They did not do a recharge because they said it would make no difference.

So now I am left wondering if it needs a recharge or not? When I turn the drivers side temp control to the colderst setting I have hear something shutting closed. Likewise when I turn the drives side temp to the hottest setting I also hear something close. I would assume what I am hearing is the blend door?

Does this mean that my blend door is working? I get heat and I get cold... just not very cold. Could it be that the system needs a recharge and the Indy has misdiagnosed? I have the automatic system if that makes any difference.
Most likely needs a recharge.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #12
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenutt View Post

Mine had a 3 year progression.
Year 1 - amazing AC
Year 2 - whys my passenger side colder than driver?
Year 3 - whats AC?
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #13
onenutt
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sedona Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Correct! Had a recharge done and now it works great on both driver and passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #14
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

The real serious problems are when your heater stops working... That's a sign of a dead water pump. I'll take warm aircon over a dead water pump any day... But then again I've got a vert so there's no shortage of wind to cool me down.
Appreciate 0