BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Catless concerns - help!

07-14-2016, 03:47 AM   #1
M2SJ
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Catless concerns - help!

Hi Chaps, I hope you can help with whats maybe a dumb question but I'm a newbie to the whole BMW tuning stuff.

I've seen all the benefits to fitting one of the Catless downpipes ie. better performance, sound etc. However I understand this is likely to throw CEL errors. I also understand that by installing the JB4 system that this will remove the CEL's as and when they are raised?
However, when I take my car to get serviced, I'd understandably want to remove the JB4 unit etc.. This would leave me with the downpipe and vulnerable to CEL issues on the way to the garage and during the service.

How do you guys avoid this or am I thinking too hard about something that will never happen.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2SJ
Hi Chaps, I hope you can help with whats maybe a dumb question but I'm a newbie to the whole BMW tuning stuff.

I've seen all the benefits to fitting one of the Catless downpipes ie. better performance, sound etc. However I understand this is likely to throw CEL errors. I also understand that by installing the JB4 system that this will remove the CEL's as and when they are raised?
However, when I take my car to get serviced, I'd understandably want to remove the JB4 unit etc.. This would leave me with the downpipe and vulnerable to CEL issues on the way to the garage and during the service.

How do you guys avoid this or am I thinking too hard about something that will never happen.
Without JB4 it will throw a catless code. Look into the Fabspeed catted downpipe if you don't want a code.

The O2 sensor fix didn't work for me. An alternative to all of this is to tell your SA or head tech that you want to go catless. Well not catless, just say your getting a downpipe for sound and that it will throw a code. A lot of them will ignore it and won't flag it. Ask before you do it, preferably during your next service while the tech is working on it. They like that stuff too.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
savagee_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

Im going to install a catless dp on my m2 within this next month. I will eventually go get a tune( JB4) to get rid of the CEL error. Im pretty sure once u install a catless without a tune, u can dive around 50-100 miles before the car throws the CEL error. Personally i don't care about the CEL. But for you I'm thinking if u take out your JB4 when having a catless, it might act as the system just noticed that there is an error with the O2 sensors. Meaning it might give u that 50-100 mile range when taking out the tune before it throws a CEL. Im not sure, but I'm thats my gut feeling. Luckily for me, I'm friendly with the ppl at my BMW and they will allow me to have mods in my M2 without warranty issues, so no hiding over here haha. Best of Luck! Which DP are you considering?
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
M2SJ
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Thanks for your inputs. Yes I will take your advice and speak to the service department at my dealers re the catless downpipe and judge their reaction accordingly. At the end of the day I guess its an exhaust component and that doesn't feel as intrusive from a mod perspective as certain other enhancements.
I've looked at a few options on the different products and have to say I haven't quite made my mind up. I'm keen to get some more feedback on experiences from fellow forum members prior to taking the leap having only just got my car I guess.

There seems to be a lack of outputs/development on the JB4 side of things too other than the fact that its compatible with the M2 rather than having specific firmware tuned specially to get the best out of our cars. Hopefully this will move forwards in coming weeks too.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Either get a high quality catted downpipe or get the VRSF catless DP with CEL delete

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #6
savagee_m2
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

^^^ very true, I'm going VRSF because its so cheap! Don't buy a crazy expensive catless downpipe because its just a straight 3-4" tube. a CEL doesn't matter that much but get a tune like JB4. I agree with you on the fact that there seems to be a tune lacking for specifically the m2, and it seems like there are tunes compatible with the m2 but not focused to optimize the m2s full power. personally I'm going to run a catless, get a CEL, and wait for the right tune.. best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagee_m2 View Post
^^^ very true, I'm going VRSF because its so cheap! Don't buy a crazy expensive catless downpipe because its just a straight 3-4" tube. a CEL doesn't matter that much but get a tune like JB4. I agree with you on the fact that there seems to be a tune lacking for specifically the m2, and it seems like there are tunes compatible with the m2 but not focused to optimize the m2s full power. personally I'm going to run a catless, get a CEL, and wait for the right tune.. best of luck!
Good luck

Keep in mind with the JB4 you can run a custom map with user specified boost if you want to optimize M2 power

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
M2SJ
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
I've had some interesting developments over past couple of days. I've been speaking to a very high profile exhaust and performance company who are proposing to use my car in development of a full new exhaust and high flo cat downpipe etc. As soon as the date is agreed and the car is dropped off then I can reveal more!!
Appreciate 0