E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Stahliniho's E90 318i MSport

11-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI MSport Space Grey

Garage List
Stahliniho's E90 318i MSport

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to BMW's. However, as the title suggests I have a severe issue with Grey German cars.

First car was a Grey 1971 1303 VW Beetle which I had resprayed midnight blue - I don't know why . Dropped the front end so it had an incredible rake to it, put Empi 8 spoke polished wheels, new dash, interior, bespoke parcel shelf with two 6x9's (i was 17), smoked rear lights and polished metal accents where I could - mirrors, indicators, headlight surrounds, bumpers etc. First car I found the wonders of the "detailing spacetime continuum" - clay bars, 2BM, autosol, even used jewelers rouge to polish some glass at some point haha!

She was my first love and the one who started me on this wicked game.

Next car was a 3 door 6n Polo 1.4L 8v in Storm Grey. She was a revelation, I had heating, power steering, windscreen washer bottle which held more than a thimble and also the engine was in the front... THE FRONT. Unbelievable haha ! I started with the usual swapping the indicators/side repeaters for clear units & bulbs, 16v bumpers, lowering springs & had G60 steel wheels (which I never managed to put on ).

Got a job in a Merc garage so had demo's after that, of course in Palladium Silver or Tenorite Grey

Then had the opportunity to purchase the best car I've ever owned an Audi 8V S3 Sport Back in Monsoon Grey (pics attached)... see where I am going with this! She was perfect but thirsty, a heavy right foot never helped. I took her to lemans 24 race and the fuel for the whole journey cost more than the tickets, food and hotel combined haha!

So now in my merry dance I have found myself here.

An E90 318i M Sport Business Edition in Space Grey... Its dreadfully under powered I'm missing the 300 ponies of the S3 but as my father once said - you can only piss with the C80k you've got.

Mods to follow but delighted to be here!

I look forward to updating this soon

Stahliniho.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stahliniho; 04-13-2017 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Factory Spec:

318i (N43B20) Manual.
M Sport & Business Edition.
Space Grey Metallic.
Black Dakota Leather Interior.
Aluminium Trim.
CIC iDrive.
Bluetooth & Phone Prep.
Light Package.
Auto Climate Control.
Cruise Control.

To Do:

- Offside Rear Light replace - Done
- Performance Gear Knob & Gaiter
- Performance Handbrake & Gaiter
- X1 E84 Steering Wheel Trim
- Aluminium Pedals & Footrest
- New OEM Mats
- Black Kidney Grilles
- 12/15 spacers
- LED internal lights
- Replace phone prep with Storage tray
- Sunglasses holder
- Angel Eye LEDS
- Headlight Bulb Upgrade - Done
- OEM Stock Tweeters & Door frames
- Combox
- Performance Exhaust
- Refurb alloys and powdercoat space grey or back to silver.

Last edited by Stahliniho; 12-02-2016 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Operation Deepeth Cleaneth

Upon picking up the car; it was clean but we're all different and I wanted to give it a go over myself. Since this is the first used car I've bought and I hadn't had a chance to clean it since I picked it up - my OCD was kicking in big style lol

Firstly it was COLD, like coldcold not just cold but COLD. I had to blast the ice off the car to start haha, so I (read my hands) decided to give it a quick snow foam,shampoo & wheel cleaner - I attempted a clay bar but it was like using a slab of marble... I'll wait a bit to do this after winter. I tried to dry it but as it had started to rain heavily I gave up.

My main mission was the bring the interior up to scratch so started from the boot and moved forward.

Focus was on the back seat & leather in general, previous owner had a kid so I expected a few spillages and sweets under the bench and I was right.

Quick shampoo and hoover and we were back on track. However, I did find a wee note from the boys in Munich, I had hoped it read "Hans, your shift finished ages ago your Mrs is after you" but sadly it just covered the interior. Quite cool though, so put it back where I found it when refitting.

Moved to the front and put a lot of effort on the drivers seat, gear knob/gaiter, hand brake & steering wheel as well, it's where I will spend most of my time. Plus my OCD was worst there haha.

A very thorough hoover, dash clean, fast glass, leather cleaner then protector and some good smelly stuff I was finished (10am to 5pm lol) sadly it was dark by the time I finished so photo's weren't doing it justice.

It also turns out that this was a win win situation for me. Not only did I get the interior to a point where I was happy with it I found TREASURE (pic attached) not only will I have lovely chap free lips I also have a cover for them too, I thought about keeping the uneaten chewing gum too but having fresh breath would of been too much for me!

I recon I've made my money back on the purchase of the car too with these new treasures. Win. Win.

Stahliniho.

Last edited by Stahliniho; 11-25-2016 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Unfortunately last week I found that there was water ingress into the battery tray and further inspection I found a bolt had sheared off the offside taillight. I understand there are issues with the vents too so will watch out for further ingress after it rains again.

Phoned a breaker I know and luckily he had a 2010 E90, so it was delivered quick snap over the weekend as in the west of Scotland rain is never too far round the corner.

First thing was to remove the old light, two clips hold the bulb/led holder in place and three 10mm nuts then secure the light against the metal. The foam gasket around the bottom was saturated with water and the whole gasket was very dirty in general. Here's the old light with the sheared bolt.

Here's the plate as I found it.

Quick clean up, so the gasket had no fouling when new light was on.

Fitted in reverse order to taking it out of course and here we are

I also drained the battery tray of water while I was at it so we'll see where it goes!

Last edited by Stahliniho; 11-23-2016 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Woop Woop Love when packages arrive!

New Osram nightbreakers - should be able to see now instead of feeling like I'm driving with tea light candles

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Fitted the bulbs in -5*C tonight. Wowsa it was cold. Will get picks tomorrow but now I can actually see where am going.

Also fitted another H4 set to the Mrs R56 Mini One. The WORST headlights ever.

Delighted with the Osram stuff!

They were purchased here

Last edited by Stahliniho; 11-25-2016 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 02:25 AM   #7
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Very nice history and like the new purchase.

Good to see it getting the attention it needs/deserves.
      11-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #8
Redguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE

Garage List
2007 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Good stuff, nice work going on there.

I used to own an E90 318i before my BMW 'holiday'. Agree, it's not a total rocketship, but it's still a superb and very nice car to own - It's still a BMW, and that's more than good enough.

Look forward to more pics!

Previous -

2006 E90 318i/1998 E36 318iS/1997 E36 328i/1981 E21 323i/1982 E21 320
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2016, 05:54 AM   #9
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Very nice history and like the new purchase.

Good to see it getting the attention it needs/deserves.
Thanks RajB, its a pleasure to get back Modding and on a forum, couldn't do much on the S3 as it was a lease so had to go back as standard and tbh there was no point in modding it.

Been reading/following your thread on here - incredible work
Appreciate 1
RajB448.00
      11-25-2016, 05:57 AM   #10
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redguy View Post
Good stuff, nice work going on there.

I used to own an E90 318i before my BMW 'holiday'. Agree, it's not a total rocketship, but it's still a superb and very nice car to own - It's still a BMW, and that's more than good enough.

Look forward to more pics!
Thanks Redguy, yeah enjoying it a lot. Although, I do have a local "speed test" stretch of road which still yearns for the S3 blip when changing gears haha!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #11
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahliniho View Post
Thanks RajB, its a pleasure to get back Modding and on a forum, couldn't do much on the S3 as it was a lease so had to go back as standard and tbh there was no point in modding it.

I'm too hard core a modder hence always like to own my cars so can do whatever I like to them.

Quote:
Been reading/following your thread on here - incredible work
Thanks that's really appreciated.
      11-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
sleepysnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dec 04 built 330i

How much of a difference did the new bulbs make? I'm also struggling along with halogens on my 330i. It makes me sad everytime I see another E9X with xenons...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #13
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
I'm too hard core a modder hence always like to own my cars so can do whatever I like to them.

Thanks that's really appreciated.
You're very welcome

Yeah, it was odd owning a car and not modding it. Funds (read Mrs) won't let me do much substantial modding just now. But for sure I'll do as much as I can. I prefer an OEM+ look, so will be going for that above all else.

Is the BMW Performance stuff the best for it?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysnake View Post
How much of a difference did the new bulbs make? I'm also struggling along with halogens on my 330i. It makes me sad everytime I see another E9X with xenons...
Hi mate,

Oh I know and it's a good question haha. I feel that the wifes mini has had the greatest effect as it's a single bulb for full/dipped beam. Howevever, as the E90 lights are a double bulb it hasn't had such a massive effect.

I used to have xenon's with the Audi which were great - so to be clear they are not a patch on them.

HOWEVER... they, to me, offer a whiter light and therefore are providing a clearer & brighter light and wider beam.

I live in the country so often drive roads with no lampposts and its much better.

The headlights on after unlocking the car (it was -2*C so it's a bit hazy sorry) but it shows they are a bit whiter (I feel...)

Here's the dipped beam on...

I feel it made a difference and for circa £20 bangers I can't complain at all

Last edited by Stahliniho; 11-25-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #15
sleepysnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dec 04 built 330i

Thanks mate - they look good. Certainly worth the £20 over the hassle and great cost of retrofitting the OEM xenons.

I had a Hyundai i20 hire car a few days ago with a pretty impressive beam width and distance. It seems the 12 yr old bulbs in my beamer could do with a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #16
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysnake View Post
Thanks mate - they look good. Certainly worth the £20 over the hassle and great cost of retrofitting the OEM xenons.

I had a Hyundai i20 hire car a few days ago with a pretty impressive beam width and distance. It seems the 12 yr old bulbs in my beamer could do with a replacement.
Hi defo. The cost,coding,fitting of washers etc is a nightmare I don't need.

Click the hyperlink I posted a couple of posts back.

It's a very easy job, on the E90 is a cover inside the wheel well. Full lock left for the right light and vice versa. A clip holding the cover on, the contacts for the light and another clip holding the bulb.

Make sure you wear gloves as it's easy to touch the bulb. If you do it make cause early failures due to it unevenly heating up.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #17
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Really like the approach taking in the getting it properly clean (hard to do this time of year especially if you live and drive mostly rural) good to see another 318 owner there's not many about on here but like you and the others have posted they are still a nice drive that's not as bad as some make out it to be.
      11-28-2016, 02:30 AM   #18
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Really like the approach taking in the getting it properly clean (hard to do this time of year especially if you live and drive mostly rural) good to see another 318 owner there's not many about on here but like you and the others have posted they are still a nice drive that's not as bad as some make out it to be.
Thanks Rent A Goat! Yeah, its now gone Matte Grey and the Alloys are a shade of brown haha.

Rural for sure haha. Once the inside was clean, my OCD calmed down majorly. I think the fact it was my first used car I've ever bought played a big part. But now I can focus on the outside. It needs a Glaze/Wax for sure though - probably use the glaze as I believe its better on Space Grey??!

Yeah I was hesitant about the 318i as I was leaving the S3, but I wasn't buying it to be another monster. It drives smooth, handles well, isn't costing me £50+ a week on fuel and has enough spec/looks good enough to make me feel like I wasn't trading down.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 02:31 AM   #19
Stahliniho
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Looking at the car over the weekend, the exhaust tip is shocking.

Anyone got any advice on this BMW Performance Tip

Or should I just go for back to standard?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #20
ally_bassman
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320d M Sport

No experience with the tip i'm afriad..but watching with interest as I agree, the tip is shocking. I'll either get of of these or take it to my local exhaust shop and get them to chop it off and weld on a 330d style tip.
      11-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #21
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Thanks Rent A Goat! Yeah, its now gone Matte Grey and the Alloys are a shade of brown haha.

Rural for sure haha. Once the inside was clean, my OCD calmed down majorly. I think the fact it was my first used car I've ever bought played a big part. But now I can focus on the outside. It needs a Glaze/Wax for sure though - probably use the glaze as I believe its better on Space Grey??!

Yeah I was hesitant about the 318i as I was leaving the S3, but I wasn't buying it to be another monster. It drives smooth, handles well, isn't costing me £50+ a week on fuel and has enough spec/looks good enough to make me feel like I wasn't trading down.
Sounds nice on the colour combo (get some pics up) pretty much the same reasons I went for the 318i and like you had done the VAG route with Golfs and a Passat some with a lot more poke and some the same sort of poke level as the 318i. My next one will definitely have an extra pair of cylinders tho. As for what to wax the space grey in I swear by Collinite no.915 http://www.collinite.com/automotive-...ue-d-elegance/ it's great on darker to mid toned German paints and if you build it up in thin even layers it's gives a good deep strong wet look that lasts a full winter just make sure you use a good sealant I have always used the autoglym https://www.autoglym.com/extra-gloss-protection again a few light even applications and I get a good few months of easy In between full details of snow foam, followed by 2bucket thorough but quick wash and still giving good beading and protection. I also find this http://www.smartwax-usa.com/ProductD...ductCode=10100 works wonders all year round on the wheels and again lasts for ages after a few good layers.
      11-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #22
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looking at the car over the weekend, the exhaust tip is shocking.

Anyone got any advice on this BMW Performance Tip

Or should I just go for back to standard?
I had the same issue with my exhaust tip and being the exclusive edition it was a Matt finish. I fitted a non standard BM chrome one but found they just don't last and fit as well so in the end had my local dealer order me in an exact replacement for about £45. I really am tempted now tho to go with a full BMW performance back box to get a bit more of a note to it.