E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Interior deep clean (older car)

03-31-2017, 02:07 AM   #1
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

Red face Interior deep clean (older car)

Hi

Apologies for the non-BMW related query but I thought I'd ask here given the helpful folk and collective knowledge on this forum generally.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about cleaning an incredibly dirty (and I mean, absolutely filthy, mould growing, etc.) interior of an old 2002 Golf? Non-leather.

The context here is that when I got my e92 about 10 months ago I gave my old car, a 2002 Mk4 Golf GTi, to a mate who was without a car then. He only drove it for about a month before he got a new car, but due to limited space at my apartment I asked him to hold onto the Golf for me in his place.

I will now be without a car for a couple of days next week as I need to drop my car to a body shop for a job that I am told may take up to two days (see my last thread) so I thought I'd use my old Golf in the interim seeing as nobody else is using it.

I called around to my mate's yesterday and opened up the car with my spare key, and I've never seen anything quite like the state of the interior. I'm not just talking general dirt and rubbish, but there is actually mould growing on the seats and floors. In addition to various pieces of rubbish such as crisp packets, etc. he appears to have left a McDonalds bag which probably contained organic material (hence the mould), although I lacked the stomach strength to actually open the bag and verify that.

I'm quite annoyed with the state the car was left in and I'm going to take it back from him this weekend, and my first job will be to clean the fuck out of it. But honestly I have no idea where to start... it's so bad that I would be embarrassed even bringing it to a valet.

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:12 AM   #2
bishbosh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I'd start with a pair of rubber gloves! Never know what you might find

Once all rubbish is out, hoover up all the cr*p, then wet vac the seats.

Use wipes on the dash and plastic bits.
      03-31-2017, 02:29 AM   #3
SlamE90
Rep
Drives: 2006 320i

Tel HIM to get it valeted!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 03:05 AM   #4
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

As above.
I'd tell him that you now want to use the car so it needs to be in the same condition that it was lent to him in.
If this means its need to be valeted then he should be getting it done.

Most places do a wash and vac for like £5, or even a petrol station is £1 for 5 mins vac etc
      03-31-2017, 03:09 AM   #5
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

hire a rug doctor. I've used them on some pretty old and manky interiors. Their spot cleaners are better than anything I've used that's car specific too.
Appreciate 1
E90-AMD65.50
      03-31-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
I would also check all the footwells for the presence of damp in the carpets. Mould normally needs moisture to thrive, and Golf door seals are known to leak.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #7
E90-AMD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Individual E93 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallsmk2 View Post
hire a rug doctor. I've used them on some pretty old and manky interiors. Their spot cleaners are better than anything I've used that's car specific too.
Agreed, I have one at home and do occasionally deep clean the whole interior. It really cleans up properly. Especially the dirty carpets.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #8
CitizenKane
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4

Thanks for the replies guys. For some reasons which I won't go into here, I'd rather not ask him to get it cleaned for me, but will take on board some of the suggestions here and have a go myself. Rug doctor looks interesting!
Appreciate 0