BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2018, 03:26 AM   #89
JP-1M
Private First Class
JP-1M's Avatar
Japan
91
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 1M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Pictures promised in above reply (grumble grumble interface grumble).
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #90
sterile stork
coupe la goon
sterile stork's Avatar
United_States
167
Rep
1,421
Posts

Drives: green, black, white
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: pdx

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Pictures promised in above reply (grumble grumble interface grumble).
While a nice solution that meets your needs--I strongly favor being able to make changes to vehicle settings via the navigation screen and iDrive controller.

How do you like the CD-mount phone holder? I'm looking for one for a friend.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #91
Zombie_Head
First Lieutenant
Zombie_Head's Avatar
Germany
294
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2012 E82 125i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Zombie_Head, first and foremost no need to apologize for anything. I've seen your other posts in the 1M forum recently and I can tell you know your cars and are thoughtful, so wanted to take the opportunity to compare viewpoints with someone like yourself.

I'll try to give my perspective on all your key points. As I mentioned above my intention is to provoke thoughtful dialog, not argue. One theme that will carry through all my points is I feel the 1M is the perfect inflection point just before the evolution from old school mechanical automotive fundamentals to modern technology focused robots went too far. I seek to preserve my visceral connection with the car as much as possible and an aesthetic that matches such.

The things that I don't like about the iDrive aka Navi:
  • it interrupts a very sleek dash, car looks better without it
  • it's presence means the joystick (knob) takes away a cup holder, and the knob thing itself also spoils a clean center console
  • it will eventually be out of date and BMW will stop updating it, and some day in the far far future the GPS standard may change so it is completely useless
  • one more thing to break...

When using a phone as navi it will never be out of date. The mounting solution I use doesn't look atrocious to me. My actual mount is leveraging the (unneeded) CD slot, and the cable I use is on a spring loaded spool so is always taut. I am attaching some pictures of this for reference.

The downside you mention about losing a GPS signal interrupting navigation would be frustrating. With the phone I'm using I have not noticed the GPS losing a signal any more often than what I remember built in navigation doing in my prior cars. Maybe my positioning of the phone is also helping reception?

You mentioned one of the strippers you saw didn't have a hi-fi system. Do you mean no radio at all? That's new info for me. I thought the 1M came with either the basic "professional" radio, or the upgrade option Harmon Kardon. My stripper has the basic professional system. It is good enough for me with the bluetooth receiver I've added. If there is actually a car with no radio at all that would seem to be a non-starter.

These other features you mention have never once to me seemed necessary in 30 years of driving.
  • adaptive headlights
  • voice activation
  • auto dimming rear view mirror (I can reach myself, but hardly ever do)
  • automatic climate control (basic system allows one to set temps for both driver and passenger, good enough)
  • also yet more things that can break

I'm not sure what you mean by "light packet" so no comment at this time.

I'm also not aware that the under trunk storage differs, but my stripper did come with the "Storage Compartment Package". I don't think there would be any structural changes (ie metal removed or reshaped) with this, so even without it there should still be space under the trunk liner. I would think this would be fairly easy to put together a solution.

The lack of an armrest in my stripper at first did seem odd to me after years of having one in other cars, but honestly I got used to it immediately and have never once again thought I needed one. My hand is almost always on the wheel, and sometimes on the shifter.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, but I really wanted to give this some thought and write a helpful reply. Good luck on your 1M hunting. I'm sure you won't regret joining the party, no matter what you choose.
Same from my end, i am not intending to argue with you (or anyone) regarding this topic at all. I am explaining how and why i want to have certain option available in my only car that i will daily in town, twisty roads, driving across Europe in the rain, sunshine or snow.

You are correct about the iDrive/Navigation with regards to BMW eventually no longer updating it and the phone will always get updates.

The Hi-Fi system is just not present, it has a standard (or BMW's standard) radio and sound system, no Harmon Kardon sound system.

The light package (from what i understand) adds additional lighting to the interior (unsure where, maybe the footwells and rear passengers?) as well as under the exterior door handles.

I am not a fan of adaptive headlights, just another item that will fail eventually and cost a lot to replace.

Voice activation i like since i keep both hands on the wheel at all times, assuming the system works correctly, sometimes it does and sometimes it does not.

I never used an armrest in any car as the driver. Both my hands are on the wheel at all times except when shifting gears with a manual.

I would also like to add Lumbar support, not all of us have a good back, especially in long trips, it can be either electrical (in this case with the 1M i believe it is) or mechanical (a simple lever that just applies lumbar support).

As i said earlier, these cars are used and it is very hard to find one that meets all your criteria. One may find a stripper with adaptive headlights, or with the hifi system, or stripped out with the iDrive. Either continue waiting and searching or buy one that meets as much as your criteria as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #92
gmx
Private First Class
31
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, AU

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't even consider one with a sunroof, they ruin the lines of the car :-)
That wasn't even an option IIRC? Might be different for various regions.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #93
JP-1M
Private First Class
JP-1M's Avatar
Japan
91
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 1M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Pictures promised in above reply (grumble grumble interface grumble).
While a nice solution that meets your needs--I strongly favor being able to make changes to vehicle settings via the navigation screen and iDrive controller.

How do you like the CD-mount phone holder? I'm looking for one for a friend.
Hi. I'm extremely satisfied with the CD mount. Key points I can vouch for:
- very securely attached, no slippage or rattling
- quite flexible in terms of positioning the phone
- insert / release good

The actual unit I'm using is the Exogear E5568. Once upon a time I believe it was The Wirecutter's recommendation, but there seems to be a newer option that they recommend so you might want to have a look at that.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...one-car-mount/
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #94
JP-1M
Private First Class
JP-1M's Avatar
Japan
91
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 1M
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Japan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Zombie_Head Thanks for clarifying the audio system. I'm sure I'm going to get crucified for this, but I find the basic audio system adequate. I do listen to a lot of music and podcasts in the car. It is clear enough, and loud enough.

Now I actually need to thank you. My goal of learning something by engaging in this conversation has now demonstrably been reached. I was going to advise you that the manual seats do not have adjustable lumbar support, but before doing so I went to the garage to check my 1M. It does have adjustable lumbar support! Happy happy, joy joy! It can't be moved up or down, but can be inflated and deflated. I will try it on my next drive.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:16 PM   #95
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1154
Rep
3,540
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Zombie_Head Thanks for clarifying the audio system. I'm sure I'm going to get crucified for this, but I find the basic audio system adequate. I do listen to a lot of music and podcasts in the car. It is clear enough, and loud enough.

Now I actually need to thank you. My goal of learning something by engaging in this conversation has now demonstrably been reached. I was going to advise you that the manual seats do not have adjustable lumbar support, but before doing so I went to the garage to check my 1M. It does have adjustable lumbar support! Happy happy, joy joy! It can't be moved up or down, but can be inflated and deflated. I will try it on my next drive.

Thanks!
Likewise the sound is adequate and the manual seats have a better seating position which is a bigger deal than lumbar support which both have. I Europe I believe you could get the manual seats and still order nav. So that is the best for someone that wants it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #96
Zombie_Head
First Lieutenant
Zombie_Head's Avatar
Germany
294
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2012 E82 125i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
Zombie_Head Thanks for clarifying the audio system. I'm sure I'm going to get crucified for this, but I find the basic audio system adequate. I do listen to a lot of music and podcasts in the car. It is clear enough, and loud enough.

Now I actually need to thank you. My goal of learning something by engaging in this conversation has now demonstrably been reached. I was going to advise you that the manual seats do not have adjustable lumbar support, but before doing so I went to the garage to check my 1M. It does have adjustable lumbar support! Happy happy, joy joy! It can't be moved up or down, but can be inflated and deflated. I will try it on my next drive.

Thanks!
I actually want manual seats, even my current golf has manual seats. Lumbar is options with manual or electric seats (glad you verified this for me). Navi, Hi fi and lumbar is all i really want, can do without the rest.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #97
Zombie_Head
First Lieutenant
Zombie_Head's Avatar
Germany
294
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2012 E82 125i M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Likewise the sound is adequate and the manual seats have a better seating position which is a bigger deal than lumbar support which both have. I Europe I believe you could get the manual seats and still order nav. So that is the best for someone that wants it.
I am being very patient, lets see what the market brings
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 02:26 AM   #98
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1154
Rep
3,540
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Likewise the sound is adequate and the manual seats have a better seating position which is a bigger deal than lumbar support which both have. I Europe I believe you could get the manual seats and still order nav. So that is the best for someone that wants it.
I am being very patient, lets see what the market brings
Yes best of luck but remember what makes the 1M special is that it was a "throwback" old-school". Every bmw now has mandatory electronics and the pure nature of the base models make them special at least here in North America. Also be aware that the manual seats are about 3 cm lower than power seats and have a more comfortable position. The power seats are too high.

Congrats on whichever get. It's a special car. Also Bavaria is lovely. I attached a picture of my car in 2011. I sold it later and drove the new ones. They weren't as special for me so I bought another used one that cost me more than my new one 4 years before. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I also love the gti. The best seats ever. I also attached picture of my second and current Einser.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #99
Eagle01
Private
United_States
23
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M white
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Glad to see that you missed it enough to buy a used one and actually pay more than new. It is a testament to why the values are so strong. I really enjoy mine after 2k miles. Coming from e39 M5s, I can easy confirm the 1M as true drivers car. Mine has 58k miles and runs great.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #100
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1154
Rep
3,540
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle01 View Post
Glad to see that you missed it enough to buy a used one and actually pay more than new. It is a testament to why the values are so strong. I really enjoy mine after 2k miles. Coming from e39 M5s, I can easy confirm the 1M as true drivers car. Mine has 58k miles and runs great.
The first M car I ever rode in was the E39 M5. Mr. Phil Thearle had one and took me for a spin. What style, what sound, it was amazing. Amazing sounding motor when pushed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #101
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
63
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 1M BSM, F80 ZCP Azu black
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I have a stripper and I must say; the seats are terrifically positioned and extremely comfortable. For those looking to enjoy the car.... get the manual seats.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2018, 01:14 AM   #102
SLC801
Private First Class
25
Rep
127
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Salt Lake City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
I have a stripper and I must say; the seats are terrifically positioned and extremely comfortable. For those looking to enjoy the car.... get the manual seats.
Have to agree. My 135is had power seats and it annoyed me the entire year and a half I owned it. Otherwise it was a fantastic car.

When I went on the hunt for a 1M I knew I had to have the manual seats and go for a full stripper model. Couldnt be happier. Its the perfect contrast to my daily which is a E500 Merc wagon with all the options and feels like a luxury liner.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2018, 03:14 AM   #103
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Goombeh's Avatar
111
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: The littlest M
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aus

iTrader: (0)

We were never offered the option of having manual seats in 1Ms that washed up on Aussie shores unfortunately, The seat height is about the only thing I can pick on this car as not being spot on for my liking.

And I'll be buggered if I'm going to fork out $5K for a set of performance seats when the seats are fine but two inches too high... Damn.

I've even been searching for crashed 125 and 135's to grab some manual seats to throw in there.

Lucky barstools!!!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #104
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1154
Rep
3,540
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
We were never offered the option of having manual seats in 1Ms that washed up on Aussie shores unfortunately, The seat height is about the only thing I can pick on this car as not being spot on for my liking.

And I'll be buggered if I'm going to fork out $5K for a set of performance seats when the seats are fine but two inches too high... Damn.

I've even been searching for crashed 125 and 135's to grab some manual seats to throw in there.

Lucky barstools!!!
It's about 1 3/8 " difference in height but makes a difference. You can also buy the seat manual bottom and dealer can replace it. They transfer upholstery etc. Mine developed a bad creak and dealer repacked the lower frame under warranty. You just order the manual lower frame for driver. Not cheap but an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #105
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1154
Rep
3,540
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It's about 1 3/8 " difference in height but makes a difference. You can also buy the seat manual bottom and dealer can replace it. They transfer upholstery etc. Mine developed a bad creak and dealer repacked the lower frame under warranty. You just order the manual lower frame for driver. Not cheap but an option.
Never mind, it was just an idea. I forgot the back of the seat has the power slide button. Another advantage with the manual seats is that they slide forward quickly for back seat access and I don't believe you will get the mechanical memory option if you mix the manual bottom with the power top, sorry for the oversight. Your best bet would be to find a manual 128i seat or an manual E92 M3 seat that bolts in. I have seen the E92 manual seats bolted into a 135i so it should work.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M91.00

      01-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #106
Eagle01
Private
United_States
23
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M white
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Naples, Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The first M car I ever rode in was the E39 M5. Mr. Phil Thearle had one and took me for a spin. What style, what sound, it was amazing. Amazing sounding motor when pushed.
The e39 M5 is and always be special because of that engine. It didnt matter on what gear you were, when you punched it, always took off like a rocket with a great sound. The sport mode made the car alert and very responsive.
Appreciate 1
nachob1154.00

      01-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #107
blackmist222777
Major
blackmist222777's Avatar
United_States
94
Rep
1,266
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (12)

There is another white 1M on BAT right now. about 30k miles... wonder how much it will fetch
__________________

2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe #642 of 740 (current)
2011 E92 BMW M3 AW
2004 E46 BMW M3 TIAG
2004 E46 BMW M3 LSB
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #108
champignon
Disrupter
champignon's Avatar
United_States
1109
Rep
2,189
Posts

Drives: 1M-VO;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, MG M2
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (0)

All of this talk about power seats and manual seats makes no reference to driver height.

I can see some advantages to manual seats and some advantages to power seats, just based on being manual or powered.

But I don't think that it should be taken as a given, that the lower seating position of the manual seats is "superior" to the slightly higher positioning of the powered seats. Not all of us are 6 feet tall, after all.
__________________
Disappointing People for Two Centuries; MT Rules
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #109
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
1154
Rep
3,540
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
All of this talk about power seats and manual seats makes no reference to driver height.

I can see some advantages to manual seats and some advantages to power seats, just based on being manual or powered.

But I don't think that it should be taken as a given, that the lower seating position of the manual seats is "superior" to the slightly higher positioning of the powered seats. Not all of us are 6 feet tall, after all.
True a short person would have to raise the seat but the power seat gives the choice to go lower. I'm fairly average 5"10 and power seats feel high to me. I think most people that try them side by side appreciate the ability to go lower if you wish. The are also faster to move forward and back if you have kids like me. But yes it might not make a difference for shorter people.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 01:06 AM   #110
AndryTuh
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: Man
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Russia

iTrader: (0)

DVOR2000 DME2000
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST