F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Rear shock support bearing srtipped, ideas?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
beeyar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i MSports 6speed M/T

Rear shock support bearing srtipped, ideas?

Hi,

When I was trying to take off my rear shocks the special hex key that inserts into the top hat stripped the top bearing. Does anyone know if this part is a separate piece that could be purchased and replaced or do i have to replace the whole shock @@.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
tpliquid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31 330i wagon

Replace whole shock
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 06:00 AM   #3
Whistlefist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

That's the top of the shock shaft. If you are replacing them, the easiest way to get that nut off is to zip it off with an impact gun. If you aren't replacing them, or that is the new one, then it is completely fine to leave like that until the next time you need to service/replace them.

I certainly wouldn't go replacing the shock for something like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Do you still have to remove the rear shock and cannot?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
beeyar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlefist View Post
That's the top of the shock shaft. If you are replacing them, the easiest way to get that nut off is to zip it off with an impact gun. If you aren't replacing them, or that is the new one, then it is completely fine to leave like that until the next time you need to service/replace them.

I certainly wouldn't go replacing the shock for something like that.
Oh, thank god! You just made me feel 10x better That's what I was hoping, I could just buy that top hat part from the dealership and JBweld the key into the socket and twist it open after it dried, or like you said use power tools to twist that sucker off. Do you know if that special star socket is a separate piece that I can order from the dealership? I will go to the dealership to ask tomorrow too.

The shock is already on the car and the reason why I was trying to twist off the top hat was because I was trying to replace the stock bump stops, but since I wasn't even able to twist off the cap and the star socket got stripped I just didn't bother replacing them. But it still makes me feel better if I can get that stipped socket fixed and put on my Dinan bump stops
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
beeyar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Do you still have to remove the rear shock and cannot?
Well, the shock is still on the car, but I was trying to remove the top hat to replace the OEM bump stops but the star socket got stripped so I'm still running with OEM bump stop (which is fine, but i would prefer to put on my Dinan ones). Also, I was hoping this is a separate part I can just buy and use a power tool to remove the stripped part and replace it. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #7
Whistlefist
Enlisted Member
Rep

It is part of the shock, it isn't part of the top hat. So in order to fix the stripped area, you would need a new shock. If you have access, an impact gun would take that off no problem.

This keyed area at the top is only there to keep the shock shaft from spinning when you remove the nut that holds the top hat onto the shock, it serves no other purpose.

If you don't have an impact gun or access to one, an old leather belt wrapped around the shock shaft below the top nut with some vise grips might be able to keep the shaft from spinning so you can remove the nut. DO NOT put vise grips directly on the shock shaft, or any other tools that could mar the shaft at all. The shaft needs to be smooth in order for the seals to continue to work. As soon as there is a mark, nick or rough area on the shaft, the seals will start to compromise and eventually leak.

Starting around the 1:30m mark you can see exactly what I am talking about:

Appreciate 1
beeyar16.00
      02-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
beeyar
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlefist View Post
It is part of the shock, it isn't part of the top hat. So in order to fix the stripped area, you would need a new shock. If you have access, an impact gun would take that off no problem.

This keyed area at the top is only there to keep the shock shaft from spinning when you remove the nut that holds the top hat onto the shock, it serves no other purpose.

If you don't have an impact gun or access to one, an old leather belt wrapped around the shock shaft below the top nut with some vise grips might be able to keep the shaft from spinning so you can remove the nut. DO NOT put vise grips directly on the shock shaft, or any other tools that could mar the shaft at all. The shaft needs to be smooth in order for the seals to continue to work. As soon as there is a mark, nick or rough area on the shaft, the seals will start to compromise and eventually leak.

Starting around the 1:30m mark you can see exactly what I am talking about:
Thanks for the detail explanation! I will try that this weekend. Also, do you know how many lbs of torque to torque back the nut after I replace it?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 06:03 AM   #9
Whistlefist
Enlisted Member
Rep

I do not know the proper torque specs, sorry. I usually just go by the german method of "gutentight."
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Torque specs are all here ... https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

You can bust it loose with an impact but to tighten it, you'll need the pass thru socket/wrench, or this one if you want to use your torque wrench on it https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Schwa...22mm_24mm_Kit/

They even sell a kit .. that has those, spring compressors, the spindle spreader. Also need an e torx set, and a pass thru socket / wrench. Special tools ... usually worth it ..
Appreciate 1
beeyar16.00