BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #23
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Has anyone tried this option for Apple Carplay?

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...yzyHJudI_BAgqs

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #24
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_z4mc1m_oz View Post
Has anyone tried this option for Apple Carplay?

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...yzyHJudI_BAgqs
When i was shopping to have a carplay i look at everything but the problem that i see for my car is that the sound will come from an aux. And my priorities was to have carplay and better music. (At that time i didnt know how the quality of music will be). But now, im glad that i did it. With my existing sound system and upgraded to nbt evo. Quality of music changed dramatically
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #25
strooth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i MY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
When i was shopping to have a carplay i look at everything but the problem that i see for my car is that the sound will come from an aux. And my priorities was to have carplay and better music. (At that time i didnt know how the quality of music will be). But now, im glad that i did it. With my existing sound system and upgraded to nbt evo. Quality of music changed dramatically
Yo scoopy, where did you get the retrofit kit or parts? (part numbers?) did you install yourself? I am like you. I don't want to go down the aux audio route like all the other systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #26
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strooth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
Yo scoopy, where did you get the retrofit kit or parts? (part numbers?) did you install yourself? I am like you. I don't want to go down the aux audio route like all the other systems.
I bought mine in bimmerretorfit.com but if i will do it again i will go in a different company like **************.ro i think thats better. But u have to source the nbt evo and etc. not like in bimmerretrofit its a set but not good after sales.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #27
PickleRick63
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White 1M

scoopy that is a thing of beauty...

Please tell us all what problems you came across during this work and how you're getting on with it now... I would LOVE to do this to my 1M..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #28
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleRick63 View Post
scoopy that is a thing of beauty...

Please tell us all what problems you came across during this work and how you're getting on with it now... I would LOVE to do this to my 1M..
oh their customer support is trash hehe. they are accusing me that i locked the unit of etc. but that's their way of having it recode again with another coder and paid about 400 usd to unlock the unit hehehe. totally trash but other than that it is super worth it. i mean for me because i have an f30 and i really like the carplay and in addition, it sounded really well with my setup just figuring out how to work the backup camera hehe
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:29 AM   #29
PickleRick63
United Kingdom
Rep

Have been thinking a lot about doing this install, but I found out recently that BMW aren't going to update NBT v6 to support Android Auto which I think is CRIMINAL! I mean, if it has the guts to support CarPlay then surely it could support AA.

There are I'm sure many many Android people with NBT v6 out there who will be pretty disappointed... wondering if any groups are "putting pressure" on BMW to change their approach to this.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #30
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Have been thinking a lot about doing this install, but I found out recently that BMW aren't going to update NBT v6 to support Android Auto which I think is CRIMINAL! I mean, if it has the guts to support CarPlay then surely it could support AA.

There are I'm sure many many Android people with NBT v6 out there who will be pretty disappointed... wondering if any groups are "putting pressure" on BMW to change their approach to this.
there's screen mirroring for android however, i haven't tried it yet hehe want to try it with android with mhd data logginghehe
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #31
PickleRick63
United Kingdom
Rep

Scoopy or anyone - do you have any idea whether it would be possible to install an ID7 system in an E8x chassis? I know there's a problem with the instrument cluster (which would be too much to replace for me and I wouldn't want to) but I understand ID7 systems do exist with 8.8" screens.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:59 PM   #32
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiremon View Post
Just finished the install this morning. In terms of the install - the only major surprise was that the unit does not drop straight into the original NAV opening. It required some relatively minor adjustment to the opening but still falls within the footprint of the original so you can go back to stock as needed.

The unit itself - it's a full blown Android computer on your dash. I have spent an hour with it so far. It is a HUGE upgrade from the standard unit - especially if you are somewhat tech savvy and don't mind configuring devices. It's not perfect - I am still working through some minor quirks. You get native Google Maps, WAZE, Spotify, ESPN, Prime Video, etc. right on your dashboard. Not sure I even need Apple Carplay which was my original intent. It does need an internet signal so I have it connected to my phone's hotspot. I would say that is mandatory if you want to maximize the experience.

Once I have it fully configured I will post a video. One of my concerns was that it would stick out too much vertically. After a quick drive I have no issue with the size. It could use a slip on cover to block the sun although the brightness is much better than the OEM unit and glare is not an issue. At night I can tell that there is a reflection on the windshield - again, a slip-on cover would resolve this.
What steering wheel is that? Looks good!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:00 AM   #33
CalvinNismo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Coupé

Here is a guide by kas206 over on the BabyBMW forum. It's an NBT unit, not the Evo, but it's got some really good information in there.

https://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=105698
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #34
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Scoopy or anyone - do you have any idea whether it would be possible to install an ID7 system in an E8x chassis? I know there's a problem with the instrument cluster (which would be too much to replace for me and I wouldn't want to) but I understand ID7 systems do exist with 8.8" screens.
might be you just need to have an ENBT emulator for it to work
Appreciate 0