BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
TurboTom
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i DCT

N55 PWG Pure S2 Preparations

The time has come to go fast, very very fast!

My mod list today is:
JB4
MHD BEF
Cobb Catted DP
VRSF Intercooler
BMS Intake
CP
DV+
VRSF TIC

Along with the Pure S2 kit I am installing:
Pure Inlet
N20
TMAP
VRSF Cattless DP
N20 TMAP
BMS Meth Kit

I have a few questions before I have the parts installed, hoping a few of you can set me in the right direction.
  • How much power should I be able to hold on my stock DCT with the MHD BEF?
  • What BEF should I be using with CPI (Meth) on 93 octane and stock fuel pump otherwise
  • Can I run a 20 meth additive on map 3 for an 18lb target? (with the N20 TMAP)
  • Should I run dual CM5 with these settings or single CM5?
  • What Water/Meth content should I go for?
  • Do I need to replace the oil feed lines (with new OEM ones) to the turbo as part of the install? Is it recommended?
  • At what point (psi) will I most likely need upgrade my fuel pump?

Thanks for any recommendations you can give!

Last edited by TurboTom; 08-04-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Replacing the oil lines makes the install easier and couldn't hurt depending on if there is any build up in the old lines.

A stage 2 LPFP is recommend if you want to fully utilize the turbo. When I asked this question I was told 93 octane pump and an in-line would yield me high mid to high 400whp. If you want to be high 400-500+ you need a stage 2 pump.

Boost juice makes a 50/50 blend and is the easiest to get your hands on if you don't have a M1 methanol supplier in your area.

Be very gentle when removing the wastegate actuator and rod assembly from your current turbo to transfer it over. The rod nut broke off on mine and I had to get a stainless 6x80mm bolt and coupler, along with a new nut to mend it or wait several weeks for a new one from Japan. Unlike the N54 you can't buy N55 wastegates easily.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
The time has come to go fast, very very fast!

My mod list today is:
JB4
MHD BEF
Cobb Catted DP
VRSF Intercooler
BMS Intake
CP
DV+
VRSF TIC

Along with the Pure S2 kit I am installing:
Pure Inlet
N20
TMAP
VRSF Cattless DP
N20 TMAP
BMS Meth Kit

I have a few questions before I have the parts installed, hoping a few of you can set me in the right direction.
  • How much power should I be able to hold on my stock DCT with the MHD BEF?
  • What BEF should I be using with CPI (Meth) on 93 octane and stock fuel pump otherwise
  • Can I run a 20 meth additive on map 3 for an 18lb target? (with the N20 TMAP)
  • Should I run dual CM5 with these settings or single CM5?
  • What Water/Meth content should I go for?
  • Do I need to replace the oil feed lines (with new OEM ones) to the turbo as part of the install? Is it recommended?
  • At what point (psi) will I most likely need upgrade my fuel pump?

Thanks for any recommendations you can give!
It seems like alot of people start with the factory HPFP, run into issues, do a bunch of stuff to try and work around those issues, but end up going with an upgraded HPFP.

I posted a thread a ways down in this forum about b58's HPFP being a usable upgrade for us n55 guys. You can pick them up for 200$ish bucks on car-part.com and they flow 17% better than ours, which should be enough for big power. You have to make slight modification for it to fit, I think I have the link in my thread.
      08-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
TurboTom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e82drifterential View Post
Replacing the oil lines makes the install easier and couldn't hurt depending on if there is any build up in the old lines.

A stage 2 LPFP is recommend if you want to fully utilize the turbo. When I asked this question I was told 93 octane pump and an in-line would yield me high mid to high 400whp. If you want to be high 400-500+ you need a stage 2 pump.

Boost juice makes a 50/50 blend and is the easiest to get your hands on if you don't have a M1 methanol supplier in your area.

Be very gentle when removing the wastegate actuator and rod assembly from your current turbo to transfer it over. The rod nut broke off on mine and I had to get a stainless 6x80mm bolt and coupler, along with a new nut to mend it or wait several weeks for a new one from Japan. Unlike the N54 you can't buy N55 wastegates easily.
For clarification, you needed the fuel pump with meth to make mid to high 400s on 93 octane? I do have access to M1, I'm wondering what concentration I should be mixing it to.

Thanks for the heads up on the actuator, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
It seems like alot of people start with the factory HPFP, run into issues, do a bunch of stuff to try and work around those issues, but end up going with an upgraded HPFP.

I posted a thread a ways down in this forum about b58's HPFP being a usable upgrade for us n55 guys. You can pick them up for 200$ish bucks on car-part.com and they flow 17% better than ours, which should be enough for big power. You have to make slight modification for it to fit, I think I have the link in my thread.
I'll look into this, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

If you plan on going over 480whp (roughly 18-19psi) at redline (this usually requires E85) then you will need an M4 flywheel and SSP clutch packs.

My honest opinion. Ditch JB4+BEF and go flash only with Wedge Performance. Smoother, faster, more consistent, 10000x easier to dial the car in. If you want to run meth get an external controller. Single CM5 nozzle is fine. Ken himself has a PS2 135i and spent a lot of time developing the platform, also Houtan & Sbrach (forum members) tune for Wedge and both have 135i's with PS2 turbos/ know these cars inside and out.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
      08-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
TurboTom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
If you plan on going over 480whp (roughly 18-19psi) at redline (this usually requires E85) then you will need an M4 flywheel and SSP clutch packs.

My honest opinion. Ditch JB4+BEF and go flash only with Wedge Performance. Smoother, faster, more consistent, 10000x easier to dial the car in. If you want to run meth get an external controller. Single CM5 nozzle is fine. Ken himself has a PS2 135i and spent a lot of time developing the platform, also Houtan & Sbrach (forum members) tune for Wedge and both have 135i's with PS2 turbos/ know these cars inside and out.
Thank you! The info about the DCT is extremely helpful. Any idea what that's going to look like cost-wise including parts and labor?

I've been thinking about going flash only. My concern is that the guys at Burger are the only ones consistently reading logs and giving input on them. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of smoothness in the car for consistent troubleshooting help. If I had a good contact who would read MHD logs for me when I'm having an issue I would go straight for it with MHD only.

Looks like for now I need to keep it at or under 18psi at redline, while I get everything hammered out with the turbo and recover from the heart attack inducing dent in my bank account. Do you think I can run the OEM fuel pumps at that power level? I don't intend to run ethanol mixes but I would supplement with meth for octane.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! The info about the DCT is extremely helpful. Any idea what that's going to look like cost-wise including parts and labor?

I've been thinking about going flash only. My concern is that the guys at Burger are the only ones consistently reading logs and giving input on them. I'd rather sacrifice a bit of smoothness in the car for consistent troubleshooting help. If I had a good contact who would read MHD logs for me when I'm having an issue I would go straight for it with MHD only.

Looks like for now I need to keep it at or under 18psi at redline, while I get everything hammered out with the turbo and recover from the heart attack inducing dent in my bank account. Do you think I can run the OEM fuel pumps at that power level? I don't intend to run ethanol mixes but I would supplement with meth for octane.
M4 flywheel is a $1100 part new. SSP clutch packs are about $2500. Used flywheels are about $500-800 if you can find one. Labor is going to be expensive. Probably about ~5k total for everything at a good shop.

You can always send logs to your tuner. They don't just provide one tune and done they also provide great and constant support/revisions to dial in the car. There's literally no reason to run a JB4 on these cars unless you're running an external wastegate with a single turbo kit. And that's coming from someone who had JB4+BEF.

I would upgrade the stock fuel pump to a stage 2 lpfp with a bucket. It'll provide extra safety for the HPFP and allow you to run more boost/timing safely. You'll have to dial down the car down quite a bit in the lower rpm's with the stock lpfp.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
TurboTom
Private
Rep

Quote:
M4 flywheel is a $1100 part new. SSP clutch packs are about $2500. Used flywheels are about $500-800 if you can find one. Labor is going to be expensive. Probably about ~5k total for everything at a good shop.

You can always send logs to your tuner. They don't just provide one tune and done they also provide great and constant support/revisions to dial in the car. There's literally no reason to run a JB4 on these cars unless you're running an external wastegate with a single turbo kit. And that's coming from someone who had JB4+BEF.

I would upgrade the stock fuel pump to a stage 2 lpfp with a bucket. It'll provide extra safety for the HPFP and allow you to run more boost/timing safely. You'll have to dial down the car down quite a bit in the lower rpm's with the stock lpfp.
That's what I figured for the cost. definitely not ready to pull the trigger on all of that yet. I'm thinking i'll keep it conservative at or about 450whp until I can make the trans upgrades a reality. I guess I'll go ahead and purchase the LPFP now. You think I can get to 450whp on 93 only with no meth? That would make things much easier for me, so I wont have to purchase an additional meth controller.

Thanks again for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's what I figured for the cost. definitely not ready to pull the trigger on all of that yet. I'm thinking i'll keep it conservative at or about 450whp until I can make the trans upgrades a reality. I guess I'll go ahead and purchase the LPFP now. You think I can get to 450whp on 93 only with no meth? That would make things much easier for me, so I wont have to purchase an additional meth controller.

I think you can make that with a good flash tune and the stage 2 lpfp.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #10
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:

I think ps2 dyno's around 410 without (m)ethanol. Still, to me at least, plenty of power for this chassis.

Matticus recently went pure s1, even on stage one he had to go aftermarket HPFP from what I remember. The b58 hpfp seems like a no-brainer to me, that's what I'll be running when I go stage 2 in January. I think there are b58's running near 450whp fbo with meth, that pump seems legit, just saw a new supra throw 407whp on the stock pump with tune only (ThatRacingChannel on Youtube). The B58 is so damn good that I'm actually thinking of changing chassis.
      08-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

I'm also running Pure Stage 1, and have the Fuel It stage 2 LPFP. I personally wouldn't touch a turbo upgrade without fueling mods. I ultimately want to upgrade to a bigger turbo and run at 500+ whp, but I want to pull the trigger on PI at the same time and go 100% e85.