BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Track Data Logs

I hope this thread can be used by everyone to post up data logs from track events along with some commentary to help us better understand what issues we are having, what solutions we implement, and what seems to work "best" based on data-driven results.

This thread was inspired in part by AndyW's post where he posted his MHD logs from a track session.

Below are two links to two logs from my past weekend's track event.

Comments: This was my first real track session with the car. I mostly wanted to get out and run the car to identify any issues and determine my priority list for continuing to develop the car. Overall, I have to say I am happy with the weekend and the way the car performed. No heat issues emerged all weekend. Oil, coolant, IATs, and Trans temperatures were all within acceptable ranges even under 89-90F ambient temperatures and high humidity. IATs crept high in my second log, but I am only running a Wagner Evo 1 Performance Intercooler, so considering that's the lowest performance level intercooler Wagner has, I am happy with the temps but do plan to upgrade in the future.

Interestingly, I was pleasantly surprised with my oil pressure readings. Oil pressure never dropped below 40 psi, even at the hard left hand turns, mainly turns 1 and 5. Turn 1 is a quick left hand, downhill turn which then rises to turn 2. Turn 5 has a downhill, hard braking zone (100mph to about 50 mph) into a 180 degree turn. On my fastest runs in each session, the oil pressure was at 46-47 psi in turn 5, third gear, 3000-3200 rpms, and the oil pressure steadily rose as I got back on the accelerator. (Log 1 - timestamp 929; Log 2 - timestamp 1535)

As to other issues, the RPMs and boost are a little less clean in the second log compared to the first (Stage 1 plus v. Stage 1). Not sure what's going on. It also looks like the second log has a larger delta between target boost and actual boost, so I may need to do a leak test. Neither log has excessive timing corrections, so those look ok, but if someone has other thoughts, please share.

I also had the chance to weigh the car, full interior, no weight reduction to date, no driver, 1/4 tank of gas = 3392.

Finally, the most satisfying revelation from this track day was the use of a wrist band bought at Walmart which solved all of my power steering fluid spewing issues. The wrist band itself did not get nearly as "soaked" as I expected, and I never had to change it out all weekend.

The first link below is stage 1, the second link is stage 1 plus. Here's some more info:

Track: Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, AL
Weather: High 80's, sunny, high humidity (Aug. in Alabama)
Car: 2013 N55 DCT 135i
Mods: CSF Performance Radiator, Single Setrab Series 6 25 row oil cooler with full front air ducting, Wagner EVO 1 Performance intercooler, Wagner Catted DP, VRSF charge pipe, Slon Workshop Transmission Pan, ISC N1 Track Coilovers, Apex EC-7 staggered wheels with Hankook RS4 255 fronts, 265 rears, MHD OTS tunes.

Session 2: 1:53 fastest lap, MHD Stage 1
https://datazap.me/u/mkilgore/barber...mark=3220-3396

Session 3: 1:49 fastest lap, MHD Stage 1 plus
https://datazap.me/u/mkilgore/barber...5492&mark=5343

If anyone has any other thoughts or comments, please let me know. I am by no means a master of understanding these datalogs.

Last edited by mKilgore; 08-31-2020 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
PcarDefector
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT+PS+PE / X3 M40i Stock

Here's what I would parse out for review (I removed time as it flattens the lines). Not knowing the track configuration, it seems that 2nd gear might viable in 2 sections and the throttle position could be more constant in those sections.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 2.13.08 PM.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  160.6 KB

Last edited by PcarDefector; 12-26-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #3
mKilgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

The first post in this thread is the ALSCCA/TVR Regional Time Trial at Barber Motorsports Park in 2020. Well, I went again in 2021 and am providing updated logs and video.

My fastest lap from last year at Barber was a 1:49.6. After a few upgrades, I set a new personal best of 1:45.2, so more than 4 seconds faster.

Previous mods included CSF Performance Radiator, Single Setrab Series 6 25 row oil cooler, Wagner EVO 1 Performance intercooler, Wagner Catted DP, VRSF charge pipe, Slon Workshop Transmission Pan, ISC N1 Track Coilovers, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear rims with Hankook RS4 255 fronts, 265 rears, MHD stage 1+.

New mods for this event included Wagner EVO 2 competition intercooler, Berk resonated midpipe + AFE axle back ehaust, full aluminum intercooler piping, Whiteline front and rear sway bars, Bimmerworld Aluminum RSFBs, ECS polyurethane diff bushings, SPL spherical front control arms, tension arms, tie rods, and end links, and Wilwood front BBK.

I also installed a Autopower roll bar and removed the rear seats. Installed OMP TRS-E seats for driver and passenger and removed some of the rear carpeting.

Notably, in the logs I was getting a lot of Tq limits referencing 512. After speaking with Steven at Wedge, he determined this is for overheating protection. The oil temps, water temps, and trans temps all seemed ok. I had coded off the brake temp nannies. Further, the Tq limits are produced as soon as I started the logs, so it didn't make a ton of sense. Turns out that I had removed the factory cooling fan and shroud and put in a manual fan with its own circuit and switch on the dash. I was getting a code, 31E9 - Electric fan, activation: Line disconnection, which was causing the car to produce the Tq limiter because the DME could not keep the temps in check via the fan.

I was able to take two of the wires from the stock fan controller and use those in the manual fan circuit so that now the DME sees a fan is in place even though it is manually controlled.

The only other issue is the oil pressure dipped below 40 psi in one turn, turn 5. So that is always concerning and this off-season I will be putting in a oil pan baffle and likely an accusump, as some are doing here as well.

Here is the log from my fastest session:

https://datazap.me/u/mkilgore/barber...data=2-4-20-21

Here is the video from that same session:
Appreciate 0