E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Insurance!!

10-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 330d

Insurance!!

The next chapter in my move to Denver...

What can be the Insurance cost of a new 328i... I have tried to simulate it on StateFarm and alike... but they all keep asking for my driver license (which I don't have since I only have my European driver License)....

I just want to have an idea of how much I will need to spend on Insurance...

Is there an insurance that covers all costs of an accident or break-in? Even if it is my fault, like missing that big column in the parking lot, or some hooligan breaking my window? Or if someone decide to steal my beautiful car????

For example, in Spain, I am paying like $2,150 in insurance, per year, but it would cover any cost of any damage that happens to the car (except mechanical/electrical failure). I mean, If I am involved in a car accident, being my fault or not, if the other has insurance or not, or if I hit a column in the parking lot, the Insurance company will pay to get the car repaired. I am looking for something like that, that covers any "accident" to the car.

The car would be in Denver, but I am still trying to figure out the neighborhood... I just need a rough estimate of the cost. (like $500 or $1000, or $2000, or $3000... I have no clue!!!)

I guess that having two cars would be cheaper, my wife is in the mood for a ford mustang... she always loved that car Any ideas on the insurance for that other car??

Thanks!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have been able to run a sym on Geico...

It tells me that for a brand new bmw 328i, with 50$ deductible on collision and comp, it will go up to around $2,000, and have a $200 deductible on both, it will go down to $1,600.

Are those a good educated guess??? It's a bit more than what I pay now... (and I have no deductibles... and the BI, PD, MED have higher limits in Spain...) Oh... well... that is why cars are cheaper over there (just joking!!)

Regards!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
SAM67
Cars & Guitars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

Hi Luis. Those figures sound reasonable. The amount can vary widely depending on your age, gender, driving history, type of vehicle, etc. Just be glad you're not a 16 year old boy!
      10-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep

my biggest problem will be that I have no driving history in the US, and actually I don't have a driver license... I first have to get one when I get there... and then the car and the insurance...

I am 30, will be 31 when I get there. Been driving car and motorbike (BMW both of them) since I was 18...

"My" first car was a 528i with 180hp, then used my dad car, a 530d (190hp). Then I had my first BMW... a motorbike, R-850-R, after that I have now a 330d (230hp).

I have never caused any accident, and I have had 3 driving courses, two from BMW and one from Audi... I know all the specs of my car, and know how to handle it in most situations, and never had a ticket...

And I still have to pay $2000 to make sure that in the case that some "bastard" who doesn't know how to drive runs into my car, and has no insurance, or basic insurance, I can have my car repaired...

I know life is not fair... but why does it have to be so unfair!!!!!!!

I needed to say it out loud... now I feel better!!

Thank you for your comments!!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
nomile
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi; 318ti

Luis,
American insurances are a bit odd compared to the European ones (what the deductible is concerned). You really need to consider how often you're going to hit something (just use your previous driving experience) and then choose a deductible that fits the bill. I run on 500 deductible, am 31yr old male driving a 328, and I pay about $550/6mnths. No sense in giving huge sums of money to the insurance if you never use it...
Appreciate 0