E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Curbed my ride

02-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #1
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z3, BMW 325XI, BMW 328XI

Curbed my ride

Hello everyone, yesterday we had a nice snowstorm and I decided to go do some snow drifting as one does with a BMW. Well I'm sure you all know where this is going. Anyways I slid Into a curb going about 5-10mph. Unfortunately now straight is not straight anymore. I had hit the passenger rear wheel on the curb. To make the car go straight now the wheel must be turned right.

First thing I did was pull the wheel off to evaluate the damage and to my surprise the damaged looked completely invisable. No obvious bent componets no nothing. I was simply confused. As the car drives so unbelievably bad. The car drives like a crab going diagnol instead of going straight. I ended up removing the entire knuckle, axle, and control arms and I still do not see any damage. I ended up taking it to a shop before doing this work myself and the mechanic said that the knuckle itself was bent. Is it really possible for those things to bend? I'm really hesitant to just go buy a knuckle as I don't feel it will fix the problem.

Please leave any and all feedback thx.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

It could happen but unlikely as the other components have build-in failure areas to prevent this. Look for decent alignment shop.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 11:36 PM   #3
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Appreciate 4
tcphoto3547.50
Wolf 3352347.50
Vivek.1367.50
      02-19-2022, 12:23 AM   #4
drymite
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i/06 323i/09 323i/07 335

I done the same with my e46 and e90 with my e46 i jus needed a new abs sensor and alignment with my e90 i just bought a whole spindle and it solved it. But i hit the e90 much harder and it wasnt in the snow.
Start off with alignment see what happens. Thats what i would do
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      02-19-2022, 12:47 AM   #5
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Knuckles can certainly bend. Don’t let their thickness fool you.
I agree with feur, there are other parts that will most likely bend before the knuckle.

But… if you were to hit the curb with your wheel dead center on the lower side of the face, the knuckle may have bent before the lower control would bend.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #6
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To be on the safe side I ordered every componet except for lower control arm and axle. Autozone has 20% off coupon for February so for the 4 of 5 arms only cost me about $150 and a used knuckle is about $120 on ebay. I was very surprised to see the price of a new knuckle at almost $700. After an alignment I'll be in about $400 which is half of what the shop was charging. As long as I didn't bend the lower control arm I think I'll be back in business next week when these parts come in. Honestly it's alot of money for stupid fun but it could definitely be worse so I'm not too upset.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

As you remove each part compare it side-by-side with the new one. This way it will be easy to spot the damaged component.

One thing is for sure, after hitting something hard enough to ruin your alignment, you better believe something is bent.
Appreciate 1
feuer4277.00
      02-19-2022, 12:29 PM   #8
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

Your knuckle and/or control arm are 100% bent. I had the same thing happen to me on my e90
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 12:35 PM   #9
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

AutoZone? What brand?

These cars drive the way they do for a reason—and that reason includes the use of components of far higher quality than anything you’ll encounter at AutoZone.

IMO, smart money doesn’t buy genuine parts where OE equivalents are available, but it also doesn’t buy parts from AutoZone. Most folks here don’t want to put parts on their cars that are inferior to what was used from the factory. We either replace with equivalent parts or better-performing aftermarket upgrades.

In the case of the knuckle, used is definitely the way to go—so good call there. But for the other stuff man, do yourself a favour and don’t waste your time with AutoZone crap.

If you want I have a set of rear control arms (not including lower “roll over strut” aka camber arm or the trailing arm) that I’d sell you for much less than you paid at AutoZone. I just swapped on some newer (but also used) arms and honestly, had I known the shape my existing ones were in I never would have bothered replacing them. It was quite remarkable how little wear seems to occur in the rear relative to the front.

Just checked FCP, and for a set of control arms (no hardware) that I believe is the same as what you bought, you’re looking at close to $500. And that’s for OE, so it’s not like that carries the same markup as genuine components would. My point here is that whatever AutoZone is selling is clearly inferior to what’s on your car.
      02-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #10
TenOx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium / Black Dakota

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Time to upgrade to m3 parts!
And of course, best to rplace parts on both sides so anything that wears will be matched, and damage may already exist, or it could have affected both or either side. Then just 1 full alignment.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:16 PM   #11
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You lost me at eBay, Autozone and drifting. Spend any time on this forum and you'll learn that enthusiasts do not drift their cars, we generally take pride in them and maintain them well.
Wolf 3352347.50
      02-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #12
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
AutoZone? What brand?

These cars drive the way they do for a reason—and that reason includes the use of components of far higher quality than anything you’ll encounter at AutoZone.

IMO, smart money doesn’t buy genuine parts where OE equivalents are available, but it also doesn’t buy parts from AutoZone. Most folks here don’t want to put parts on their cars that are inferior to what was used from the factory. We either replace with equivalent parts or better-performing aftermarket upgrades.

In the case of the knuckle, used is definitely the way to go—so good call there. But for the other stuff man, do yourself a favour and don’t waste your time with AutoZone crap.

If you want I have a set of rear control arms (not including lower “roll over strut” aka camber arm or the trailing arm) that I’d sell you for much less than you paid at AutoZone. I just swapped on some newer (but also used) arms and honestly, had I known the shape my existing ones were in I never would have bothered replacing them. It was quite remarkable how little wear seems to occur in the rear relative to the front.

Just checked FCP, and for a set of control arms (no hardware) that I believe is the same as what you bought, you’re looking at close to $500. And that’s for OE, so it’s not like that carries the same markup as genuine components would. My point here is that whatever AutoZone is selling is clearly inferior to what’s on your car.
I would genuinely agree with you especially for engine componets I will never buy aftermarket engine components as my passed experience with Chinese parts is pretty bad. But for simple componets line control arms I really don't see how a company could mess it up. It's all stamped metal. The ones I bought are duralast which is autozones brand. The only reason I bought from them is because I would receive the componets much quicker. While fcp euro in my experience is atleast over a week for free shipping. This car was never met to be a show car in the first place. Original owner didn't do maintenence on it and I decided to bring it back to life. I bought it for 1500$ with 130k on it car barley ran. I took the time to fix it. Worst comes to worst autozone has a pretty good return policy if these arms for whatever reason don't work I'll return them and get either oem or better. But honestly I didn't get this car to be fast or to be sporty as hell. I just wanted a really good daily driver snow car that I could have a little fun with every once and a while. I don't want to spend more money then I have to for an experience that won't be noticeable to most humans. I honestly think alot of aftermarket stuff for bmws outside of the engine bay isn't as bad as people make it out to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #13
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre0415 View Post
I would genuinely agree with you especially for engine componets I will never buy aftermarket engine components as my passed experience with Chinese parts is pretty bad. But for simple componets line control arms I really don't see how a company could mess it up. It's all stamped metal. The ones I bought are duralast which is autozones brand. The only reason I bought from them is because I would receive the componets much quicker. While fcp euro in my experience is atleast over a week for free shipping. This car was never met to be a show car in the first place. Original owner didn't do maintenence on it and I decided to bring it back to life. I bought it for 1500$ with 130k on it car barley ran. I took the time to fix it. Worst comes to worst autozone has a pretty good return policy if these arms for whatever reason don't work I'll return them and get either oem or better. But honestly I didn't get this car to be fast or to be sporty as hell. I just wanted a really good daily driver snow car that I could have a little fun with every once and a while. I don't want to spend more money then I have to for an experience that won't be noticeable to most humans. I honestly think alot of aftermarket stuff for bmws outside of the engine bay isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

You do you. Quality control in regards to metallurgy differs between, say TRW and eBay Chinese junk.

There is a reason why TUV certification is required for parts in Germany. If every part was the same, then why the certification? Because all parts aren’t the same, and suspension components are vital to safety on the road.

My car has 140K on it, and while well-maintained and clean, isn’t a concours-quality example either. But I use quality OEM parts because I value the safety of those around me and myself as well. Perhaps that’s the ethicist in me...
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2426.50
Buug95917868.00
      02-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #14
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

To give some prospective iv placed my trailing arms side by side next to autozones duralast brand. OEM on bottom autozone on the top. In my opinion they look identical and feel identical.Name:  20220219_150057.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  713.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:10 PM   #15
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

The "look" of an item is different from the documented materials used, they look like black painted metal but what is the raw material? I see it as a "good enough" philosophy, at least the OE non licensed BMW parts have the Roundel scratched off.
      02-19-2022, 02:13 PM   #16
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
You do you. Quality control in regards to metallurgy differs between, say TRW and eBay Chinese junk.

There is a reason why TUV certification is required for parts in Germany. If every part was the same, then why the certification? Because all parts aren’t the same, and suspension components are vital to safety on the road.

My car has 140K on it, and while well-maintained and clean, isn’t a concours-quality example either. But I use quality OEM parts because I value the safety of those around me and myself as well. Perhaps that’s the ethicist in me...
I agree suspension components are a vital component. But you also need to think about autozone as a company. If they were selling parts that were killing people I don't think autozone would still be alive. They may sell crappy starters and crappy alternators but when it comes to compnets that can actually kill I don't think these companies are just going to sell you garbage parts. That's my personal opinion and I don't have a problem using them. Although I will say I do appreciate the opinions of others because it does give me another perspective.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:18 PM   #17
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
The "look" of an item is different from the documented materials used, they look like black painted metal but what is the raw material? I see it as a "good enough" philosophy, at least the OE non licensed BMW parts have the Roundel scratched off.
You're right, these 2 parts were made in 2 different factories not using the exact same materials. But honestly that risk is ok to me because I have never heard of anyone whose had issues with componets like these failing from autozone. But I also do understand that just because I have never heard of it doesn't mean it's never happend.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:53 PM   #18
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

You’re gonna do what you want—that’s up to you. I don’t think they’ll straight-up fail, but that’s a pretty low bar to meet.

The TAB is the one piece among all the parts you’re buying where mayyyybe the difference is minimal (no bushings). And as others have correctly pointed out, just because it’s stamped metal doesn’t mean it’s made of the same quality inputs.

To your points about people making aftermarket “parts store” replacements out to sound worse than they really are… Ummm, no. Definitely no. I think it’s fair to say that enthusiasts are always looking for the best products for their money, and are willing to be agnostic to brand if a part offers better performance for the price (e.g., Monroe 907985). But most of us would never be willing to install an inferior part on our cars just because it costs less than the OE-quality equivalent. So needless to say I strongly disagree with that sentiment and would argue it isn’t as much opinion as it is fact.

To your statement about most people not noticing the performance difference between shitty Chinese AutoZone parts and German-made OE-quality parts… Then why even buy a BMW?

You’re also ignoring the bushings and ball joint. Those are massively significant parts of the control arms.

If you decide you want proper ones, I have used ones cheap. Planned to keep them in case I fuck one of mine up, but I’d much rather prevent the butchering of another BMW than hold onto them .
Buug95917868.00
      02-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #19
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

People relax. Nothing wrong with the parts dre0415 purchased. Those part are better then 10 years + old parts you have on your cars. Not only that these cars are old they are very ordinary too. Nothing specials about 15 years old 328xi e90yyc Do you ever use public transportation? Do you have kids that ride the school bus? Where do you think the brakes came from? Or the shocks? Or the tires? Even on your own car? Probably Mexico, China and other low labor cost country. Hoody007 these parts are perfectly safe. Do you expect that Autozone have any interest in ending up in court? Come on! All of you, just move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #20
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're right, these 2 parts were made in 2 different factories not using the exact same materials. But honestly that risk is ok to me because I have never heard of anyone whose had issues with componets like these failing from autozone. But I also do understand that just because I have never heard of it doesn't mean it's never happend.
You need to get measurement from properly calibrated alignment machine. Just replacing parts doesn't always fix the issue. Spindle weak point is where the toe arm and sway bar link mount. Bents inward. That will cause issue only with toe in/out. Cheapest fix would be adjustable toa arms. Great assortment on Ebay. Yeah, from China lol, like: Monroe, Megan, GodSpeed....There are expensive brands too, like AKG, SPL but I guarantee you they are not the first choice even to those that look down at Ebay parts lol
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #21
dre0415
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well anyways I'll keep you guys updated on what ends up fixing the issue. Honestly I'm thinking it's probably only the knuckle but I'll replace the rest just to be safe side. I'd rather not bring it to the alignment shop and have them unable to align it because of some slight bend invisible to the human eye. I'm also trusting the opinion of the reputable bmw mechanic I brought it to as he's been a bmw tech for over 10 years and I'm sure he's experienced the exact same issue before.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #22
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well anyways I'll keep you guys updated on what ends up fixing the issue. Honestly I'm thinking it's probably only the knuckle but I'll replace the rest just to be safe side. I'd rather not bring it to the alignment shop and have them unable to align it because of some slight bend invisible to the human eye.
Best strategy was to first try to get an alignment from a reputable shop that does a lot of alignments. Some shops can't align even brand new car. Alignment machine is only as good as the person operating it. Since you are doing it yourself get the the eccentric washers with the thicker part inward. Towards the diff. All of them. I will post photos from you. That will give good camber and close the toe. You will need to do the front toe too. Always start with rear.
Appreciate 0