BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
TazioNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

More Engine Break-in

I asked my salesguy about the break in as I was driving off in my 1 today, and he basically said to just worry about varying the speeds, that the car can pretty much take anything. I'm still kind of following the break-in guidelines but I've relaxed about most of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I'm having a helluva time keeping in line with what i promised myself I'd do for break-in procedure. The good part is that you can short shift at 4500 rpm and it's still a ripping ride and great aural experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I'm having a helluva time keeping in line with what i promised myself I'd do for break-in procedure. The good part is that you can short shift at 4500 rpm and it's still a ripping ride and great aural experience.
Ditto that. Had my first extended drive yesterday after being away all week. Unfortunately it was into the heart of Manhatten, not exactly the Blue Ridge Parkway. To your point the car has such a flat torque curve that it is plenty of fun without pegging the tach needle. The virtues of turbocharging: none of this complicated valve timing fussiness. Just gobs of torque, all the time. 80 mph on the Turnpike, and you just tip the throttle to rocket by the parade of Freightliners.

Had my SO with me so I didn't get to attempt any off ramp drifting... next week.

So I'm assuming that 4500 is the presumptive redline for the next 1K miles or so, but if the needle strays to 6K for an instant every now and then it's not the end of the world...

Next Road trip this afternoon: Kennedy airport. Joy of joys, first the NJ Turnpike now the Long Island Expressway.
      03-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I would not be surpised if the sales people said thaqt as when I wne on my test drive, no thought was given to windingthe engine to the rev limiters multiple times on a car with under 40 miles on it.

Dealer demo cars should eb a pretty good test for whether it is an issue or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

You want to talk about restraint? Try following the proper break-in procedure with the Active Processor installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

I sure wouldn't consider an SA as the lead source for break-in guidance. And for starters, I'd ignore the oil change sked and get a fresh filter and fill around 1500.

There is some immensely helpful technical coaching available via the Tech Talk column in the Roundel. And what is not commonly understood is that the columnist and lead commentator for the column responds to every single email he gets, not just the handful which get printed each month. He also draws on a country-wide gaggle of senior BMW mechanics, most with their own shops. As the 1 model begins to see miles in N America and some of its issues begin to surface, that's one source of helpful info that would be silly to ignore.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
At 1500 I will be changing the oil and the transmission fluid. Tranny is getting some good old Redline.
      03-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack in St. Pete View Post
I sure wouldn't consider an SA as the lead source for break-in guidance.
Jack
understatement of the year, perhaps of the decade.

the oil change interval, the lack of scheduled differential and transmission fluid changes, etc. etc. are all decisions made by pencil pushers, not drivers or mechanics.
Appreciate 0