BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #67
rpsco
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Swapped ashtray/cigarette for storage tray

Swapped out my ashtray/cigarette lighter for the storage tray. Great spot to put your sunglasses, phone, etc. Not a smoker plus there is a second lighter socket and usb. Part is available from ECS for $14.50: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...sole/ES255042/

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #68
Flot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Wanted to say thanks for the great writeup. Couple minor notes, I removed my automatic (non-dct) shift knob by pressing in the button and then just pulling up as hard as I could. Ditto with the e-brake handle, it just pulled straight off with enough force. I was able to just barely clear the metal stub of the shifter even leaving it in park, but in retrospect it would have been much smarter to shift the car into neutral before starting all this.

The only electrical connector that gave me hell was the little 4 pin one that goes to the headphone jack in the back. The others were all straightforward.

I was swapping trim but changed the ashtray out for the "stuff compartment" while I was at it. Holy cow! Now instead of not even having a place to put my phone, I can stick my phone, my wallet, and some other crap in there securely.

About an hour to remove everything, 15-20 mins to put it all back in.

Just curious, anyone know what the electrical connector at the very back of the armrest is? I had a little sensor and then a large rectangular connector with nothing plugged into it? (basically underneath the big plastic hinge assembly)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #69
Artaxrxes
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Vert

I wondered the same thing about the connector behind the arm rest the figured it was probably for an option I don't have, like a rear facing usb connection or something for the folks in the back seat.

Also, I didn't have to remove the shift knob which was good cause I really didn't want a black eye.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #70
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I have been trying to see how to remove the armrest lid. I can see from the parts diagram that there are plastic end caps at the swivel point but can't see how to safely remove them. Anyone have instructions?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 03:28 AM   #71
berne
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

is it the same center consol, if it has idrive?

just that it has the idrive installed
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #72
ichan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport DCT

I just managed to do this today. Thanks everyone on this thread for the tips.

For owners with DCT
- Pull up the DCT shifter trim plate
- Unplug the wiring (2 places)
- Then pull straight up on the shift lever and the DCT shifter (along with the leather boot/trim will come right out)

iDrive section
- Similar to other trim pieces, pull up the entire iDrive controller along with the trim
- Unplug the wiring

With the DCT shifter out, it was pretty easy to get the console out of my car to install the CF trim piece.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      07-24-2019, 01:22 PM   #73
tonig
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55

apologies for bringing up an old thread..

I'm doing an interior trim cf wrap on a 135i and while taking the center console (to get the difficult sunglass holder/phone holder trim piece just above the shift knob), I know there are two bolts.

One of the bolts (see green circle in pic) I think has a loose thread in the middle of the bolt and simply won't come out. The other came out with ease. Now, I can't get to that last trim. Any other way I can take out that last piece of trim above the knob (circled in orange in pic)?

Would hate to drive around with a 90% complete CF interior trim.. =*(

Thanks so much all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 01:58 PM   #74
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonig View Post
apologies for bringing up an old thread..

I'm doing an interior trim cf wrap on a 135i and while taking the center console (to get the difficult sunglass holder/phone holder trim piece just above the shift knob), I know there are two bolts.

One of the bolts (see green circle in pic) I think has a loose thread in the middle of the bolt and simply won't come out. The other came out with ease. Now, I can't get to that last trim. Any other way I can take out that last piece of trim above the knob (circled in orange in pic)?

Would hate to drive around with a 90% complete CF interior trim.. =*(

Thanks so much all!

Sorry if this is too obvious - have you tried just to pull the bolt out by griping with pliers?
      07-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #75
tonig
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55

Didn't try that.. the bolt's good and secure now and the installer didn't want to mess around with it too much just in case. I'm sure it's an easy fix tho if we really wanted to take it out..

so, I suggested he just wrap this final piece directly from top, and try to tuck the sides/corners of the wrap in as best he could. Still turned out really nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Sorry if this is too obvious - have you tried just to pull the bolt out by griping with pliers?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #76
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I agree, that looks very nice!
      06-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #77
landerso
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i Coupe

The links for removal of the shift knob, e-brake, and trim in the first post seem to point to discussions about wheels. Can anybody provide me with links to the correct instructions? Specifically I need to remove the (automatic) shift knob, boot, e-brake handle and boot, and trim around the shifter so that I can remove the console to correct the scarred up soft-touch paint around the cupholders. At 9 years old and 112k miles that is the only indication of age in the interior.

Last edited by landerso; 06-23-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #78
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by landerso View Post
The links for removal of the shift knob, e-brake, and trim in the first post seem to point to discussions about wheels. Can anybody provide me with links to the correct instructions? Specifically I need to remove the (automatic) shift knob, boot, e-brake handle and boot, and trim around the shifter so that I can remove the console to correct the scarred up soft-touch paint around the cupholders. At 9 years old and 112k miles that is the only indication of age in the interior.
Andy had to move those posts it seems. Quick google found the thread for me though: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209774

You might need to do more searching for anything missing.
Appreciate 0