BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #23
Slick_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Competition

Nah I don't mind. My car's already used for the smoked ambergones anyways
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #24
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpGrade+ View Post
^^WHAT?? What is he riding a bike? Reflectors? U.S laws require an amber color for light signaling. The light produced from his bulb will still show amber even though he has the amber gone on. And if a "drunk" is driving at night, I don't think that the covers or anything being "reflective" is going to save your car. .
Reflectors are required by law on all North American vehicles. They must be White or Amber in front and Red in the rear. Whether or not you decide to cover up the amber fronts is up to you, however doing so may subject your vehicle to a violation at some point.

Is it even beyond the possibile that your insurance company may void your coverage if your car is deemed to be non compliant with DOT and NHTSA standards?

Los Angeles Times article
Quote »
"Auto Products Wholesaler Fined $650,000
By John O'Dell, Times Staff Writer
A Southland auto accessories company has been fined $650,000 for selling thousands of substandard taillight assemblies popular with younger motorists, federal regulators said Friday.
American Products Co. of Corona is a major wholesale supplier of customizing and performance products to retailers including Pep Boys, Auto Zone and JCWhitney.com.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said late Friday that American Products had sold various models of replacement taillights with clear lenses or lens covers that failed to comply with federal safety standards.
American Products President Brian Torres said the $140-million-a-year company was targeted by regulators because it's the largest in a rapidly growing field. Some of the products were purchased from overseas suppliers, he said, and others "were manufactured under our interpretation" of regulations "that are 20 and 30 years old. Unfortunately, NHTSA challenged those interpretations."
In its statement, NHTSA said some of the company's taillight models were missing required side marker lamps or reflectors, and others replaced red lamps and reflectors with clear ones. In most cases, state and federal regulations require red automotive taillights.
American Products also sold "other noncompliant replacement lighting equipment" including clear corner and bumper lenses and kits to convert stock headlamps to brighter high-intensity discharge lamp systems, the agency said. NHTSA said it has ordered recalls of thousands of American Products parts since 1999. Information about the recalls can be found online at http://www.nhtsa.gov . Motorists with questions can call NHTSA's toll-free hotline, (888) 327-4236.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #25
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

In theory, you could add some white refelctive stickers in this area to make the car legal again. On an Alpine car, it might not look too bad if done properly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #26
AMB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3CS|05 E46XiT|18 Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Reflectors are required by law on all North American vehicles. They must be White or Amber in front and Red in the rear. Whether or not you decide to cover up the amber fronts is up to you, however doing so may subject your vehicle to a violation at some point.

Is it even beyond the possible that your insurance company may void your coverage if your car is deemed to be non compliant with DOT and NHTSA standards?
NERD ALERT!! Get over it. I have shaved reflectors along and no front license plate... I haven't been pulled over once in over 7 years.

It's a wonder you can get out of bed in the morning. No offense. :biggrin:

'05 M3 CS | Silver Grey | M Cloth
OEM CSL Front - Rear - CF Roof | Dinan S2 Performance Pack | 19" RAC Monolite RG4s
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 09:19 AM   #27
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

what are some options for my montego blue?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #28
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2bmw1 View Post
what are some options for my montego blue?
That depends. The Silver cover ups on this thread might look ok on Montego Blue. Strictly speaking, this makes the car non compliant with DOT and NHTSA standards, and probably your local state or provincial regulations. However, if that doesn't bother you - cover them up! A previous poster on this thread claims to have run 7 years without a front plate or reflectors.

Other than that, complete Euro headlight units for $2,500 or so would work.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #29
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

i would like to see more pics of the different colors....would def help me in my buying decision...im not gonna buy anything without first seeing how it looks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #30
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep

def need pics of all colors come on guys (modbargins)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #31
Tlacerda
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Garage List
2008 135 Vert  [0.00]
Opinions on what color might work on Blue Water? I'm getting LCI blackline tails, so maybe the smoked treatment may match...

Also, aren't there any high quality plastic lens that would encompass the entire headlight with a special treatment for the reflectors? Seems like a product like that may work better than stickers.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #32
Tlacerda
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Garage List
2008 135 Vert  [0.00]
Opinions on what color might work on Blue Water? I'm getting LCI blackline tails, so maybe the smoked treatment may match...

Also, aren't there any high quality plastic lens that would encompass the entire headlight with a special treatment for the reflectors? Seems like a product like that may work better than stickers.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #33
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Where cam I find this covers?
Appreciate 0