BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-08-2008, 02:48 AM   #1
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

3rd party air-intake - warranty

Sorry if this has been covered before...

I will get my first service done at my local BMW garage end of this year. Will they question the AFE air intake I fitted and thus void any kind of warranty ?

I guess it goes without saying they will if they spot the SST/Superchip I had fitted which I am going to remove beforehand.
      10-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

theoretically, they could. safer to remove b4 service.

i'm sure you'll get some responses saying "i go in for service with intake all the time" but i know people that go in to service with chip installed. it doesn't mean anything. also, people will probably incorrectly site the Magnusun Moss act, even though it doesn't apply in your jurisdiction, and even if it did, it doesn't really help - but it makes people feel safer here in the states.

bottom line is it depends on if the dealership/bmw is in a good mood that day, relationship you have with them, etc. its a risk.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, wonder if anyone has actually gone through this and been categorically told that it will. It's a pain to have to replace it with the stock one each time.
      10-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #4
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/poll.p...ts&pollid=2477

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

From those results the air intake is fairly low on the list. I know the salesman fairly well so I might just ask him. Think I will give it the "I'm thinking of getting a after market intake, would this void the warranty blah blah"

I'll let you know what the response is.

Thanks
      10-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
^FWIW, a salesman at my dealership commented that a 135 owner had already replaced the intake, so, I asked if that could/would void the warranty, his response was, "Maybe". :iono: Hmmm, OK, that was nice and vague...know this, the owner of the 135 with the replaced intake is notorious with the dealer for buying a car, beating on it, trading it in for another toy, beating on that one, again, and again, and again...seems to me, based on how you have presented yourself to the dealer can make ALL the difference.

Warranty concerns are why my car is visibility/electronically 'stock'.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

My local BMW garage has come back with this reply:-

Hi ....

Apologies for the delay in replying, but I've been off work for a week & only returned yesterday.

I'm pleased to hear that you're loving the car.

I've spoken with the workshop foreman and he's confirmed that any aftermarket component that's not approved by BMW will invalidate the warranty on anything that the component directly affects.

In the case of the cold air intake, this pretty much affects the entire engine.

My advice would be not to fit it if you want the warranty to remain valid.

The economic slump is having an effect, but just have to get on with it and see it through best we can. Hope it's all ok for you?

While I remember, did you fit the aluminium performance foot pedal covers ok?

Let me know if there are any other questions I can help with.

Speak to you soon.

So looks like the intake will have to be removed too, damn!
      10-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

If you take it in and they see it is the worst thing they can say is take it out and put the old one back in and we will do your service?

Or could they literally not service your car from then on out even if you go back to stock?

Its hard to think that just going in for a 15K oil change would be an issue when they see the intake... I could see if you went in with engine problems... hmm.. I guess ill find out soon enough! ha

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep

When is your service ? if it's before December let me know how you get on. I am going to remove the SSTT but leave in the intake I think.
      10-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Mine will be around december.. i may just email the SA first since I have kind of gotten to know him and just ask if I should take it out or not...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0