E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Meet/Caravan - Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series - NJMP - May 3

02-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Biggins
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 318i

Meet/Caravan - Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series - NJMP - May 3

Event organizing is not my niche and this event is still a couple months away, but I wanted to see if there was any interest in having a meet at the upcoming Rolex Grand Am Cup races on Sunday, May 3rd. The races are at the new New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville, NJ. There are races all weekend long including KONI Challenge, Ford Mustang Challenge, etc., but my friends and I will only be attending all day Sunday. Since at least a half-dozen of my friends have committed to going on Sunday, I wanted to see if there was any more interest from anyone here?

If I do find out there is enough interest from you guys, we could perhaps go in as a group (National Capitol Chapter BMWCCA, e90post, etc.)? Also, I wouldn’t rule out doing a caravan-type drive to the event if interest is there.

I have already contacted some parties at New Jersey Motorsports Park about ticket pricing and possible parking arrangements for a group. With twenty or more people in our group, a discount would be available. NJMP also informed me that a car corral would be available for our group if we purchased at least forty tickets. That is quite a large number, but I wanted to at least gauge a little interest. I did not ask about a weekend-long ticket package since my friends and I are going only Sunday, but I guess I can try to find out. Even without any discount, a ticket for Sunday-only is pretty reasonable at about $40.

This is one of only two races that are within the Mid-Atlantic area this season for a major road racing series. You may ask why I chose to gauge interest for this event and not the race on April 25 at Virginia International Raceway. The only real reason is that NJMP is actually closer to Philadelphia (<1 hr), Baltimore (2.25 hrs max), and Washington, D.C. (3 hrs max) than VIR. The race will be televised on the SPEED channel the same day as the race, but on a tape delay so you can set your DVRs and look for yourself at a later date. For those of you unfamiliar with the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series, the cars are the same as you see racing in January at the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, a prototype class and a GT class. The prototype class regularly has at least a couple Dinan BMW-powered cars running.

These are some links that contain more information:
General Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series website:
http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/
Event Details/Schedule PDF File (subject to change):
http://www.grand-am.com/assets/2009N...elimsched2.pdf
New Jersey Motorsports Park website:
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

Please respond if you are interested, if you are a definite, and if you have any suggestions. I’m a noob at event organizing, so PLEASE let me know if I have left out any critical information. My friends and I are going to the race no matter the interest here, so depending on interest, I will update the information listed here as the date comes closer.
      03-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Biggins
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1995 318i

Bump... any new interest? I know it's still over a month away.