E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > DC area: which BMW service center should I go to...

03-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
pooskay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

DC area: which BMW service center should I go to...

for getting my ticking noise fixed (engine - valve lifters)?

anyone experience this issue with their car and get it fixed with no issues? if so, which BMW service center was it?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
MikeLogan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19 F60

I use Arlington. Hate the sales dept, but service isn't bad. My SA is an honest guy.
      03-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
DoNDoN
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Passport BMW.
Go see Bogdan.
      03-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Yo Faisal,

go see Bogdon as Don stated.
Supposedly he is one of us and will take care of you.
Or else if you go to Sterling, it's Shawn Peace. He's pretty good. If you go to Fairfax, it's Danika.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
Yo Faisal,

go see Bogdan as Don stated.
Or else if you go to Sterling, it's Shawn Peace. He's pretty good. If you go to Fairfax, it's Danika.

Yeah, I'm over at Passport.

I used to work with Danika when I was at Fairfax, she's good people!

The ticking noise is probably the HVA lifters.

Do the following:

Keep engine at 3k for 3 minutes.
Let it idle for 5 minutes.
Repeat 3 times.

This is the same thing we do in service to bleed air pockets out of the lifters.

The noise is not something that is an idication of failiure to the valvetrain, it's just a side effect of the design. Short trips will make the noise happen. Bleeding them out with the outlines procedure will take care of it.

Let me know how it turns out.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
pooskay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
Yo Faisal,

go see Bogdon as Don stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
Yeah, I'm over at Passport.

I used to work with Danika when I was at Fairfax, she's good people!

The ticking noise is probably the HVA lifters.

Do the following:

Keep engine at 3k for 3 minutes.
Let it idle for 5 minutes.
Repeat 3 times.

This is the same thing we do in service to bleed air pockets out of the lifters.

The noise is not something that is an idication of failiure to the valvetrain, it's just a side effect of the design. Short trips will make the noise happen. Bleeding them out with the outlines procedure will take care of it.

Let me know how it turns out.
lol small world....my SA has been Danika at BMW Fairfax for the past couple months....been really satisfied with her work, so i booked an appt with her a few days ago regarding the lifters.

i've actually previously brought my car in the for the ticking noise at Fairfax, and they went through that whole bleeding process...but the ticking noise is back....after reading the countless threads on the infamous ticking noise, i figure the next step would be to replace the lifters?

thanks for the feedback guys....ill keep you guys posted.

what up Rashed!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooskay View Post
lol small world....my SA has been Danika at BMW Fairfax for the past couple months....been really satisfied with her work, so i booked an appt with her a few days ago regarding the lifters.

i've actually previously brought my car in the for the ticking noise at Fairfax, and they went through that whole bleeding process...but the ticking noise is back....after reading the countless threads on the infamous ticking noise, i figure the next step would be to replace the lifters?

thanks for the feedback guys....ill keep you guys posted.

what up Rashed!
I'm not sure how much they can do about the lifter noise if it goes away after performing the bleeding bulletin. It's something that happens with driving conditions.

Have Danika look at it again, but I don't see BMW replacing your valvetrain unless the noise does not go away after performing the bleeding.

jmho...
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
pooskay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
I'm not sure how much they can do about the lifter noise if it goes away after performing the bleeding bulletin. It's something that happens with driving conditions.

Have Danika look at it again, but I don't see BMW replacing your valvetrain unless the noise does not go away after performing the bleeding.

jmho...
so you're telling me if i pull into their shop with the ticking noise, they'll perform the bleeding process again? and if the sound disappears, their job is done?

doesn't sound right to me, considering they already did that earlier.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooskay View Post
so you're telling me if i pull into their shop with the ticking noise, they'll perform the bleeding process again? and if the sound disappears, their job is done?

doesn't sound right to me, considering they already did that earlier.

It is a possibility. Again, the lifter noise is something that is caused, usually, by driving conditions. It does not actually indicate a failure with the valve train. Repeated short trips will make it come up, as well as hard driving.

I've had to replace lifters in a car before, but that is because a couple were actually collapsed....making the car sound like a diesel truck. HVA lifter noise is much different.

I'm certianly not trying to discourage you from taking it there, just speaking from experince. If it's making noise, you should at least get it looked at. However, don't believe everything you read on the forums about the cause/solutions for the lifter tapping.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
pooskay
Private First Class
Rep

gotcha
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Steve or Tony at Passport FTW for me
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

i wanna go to Bogdan in passport but it's quite far and that means i probably have to take time off from work. Sterling is the closest to me, anyone other than Raja has experience with Sean Peace? i spoke with him on the phone, seems to be a cool guy but i've never dealt with Sterling BMW service. any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #13
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletea 4 me View Post
i wanna go to Bogdan in passport but it's quite far and that means i probably have to take time off from work. Sterling is the closest to me, anyone other than Raja has experience with Sean Peace? i spoke with him on the phone, seems to be a cool guy but i've never dealt with Sterling BMW service. any thoughts?
lol...just picked up my car yesterday from Sterling for some minor stuff. Shawn Peace is my advisor...he's great.

I'm there a lot for various stuff...Chong is the technician that usually works on my car...he put in the black front lower mesh grills for me yesterday...they look awesome.

===============================
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGator View Post
lol...just picked up my car yesterday from Sterling for some minor stuff. Shawn Peace is my advisor...he's great. He'll hook you up.

I'm there a lot for various stuff...Chong is the technician that usually works on my car...he put in the black front lower mesh grills for me yesterday...they look awesome.

sup bud, you are mike right? if i remember correctly you got the sick lookin brakes?

thats good to know man, doenst seem like many people has gone to Shawn so i just wanted to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
sup bud, you are mike right? if i remember correctly you got the sick lookin brakes?

thats good to know man, doenst seem like many people has gone to Shawn so i just wanted to be sure.
yup, that's me. I'll try to go to more events with the weather hopefully improving now...so I'll be out and about.

===============================
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:

i have and he's been pretty good IMHO.
Appreciate 0