E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Differences in Xenons - 3/5/x5

08-25-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
ironside
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Differences in Xenons - 3/5/x5

I have a 330i and have recently had the occasion to drive 525i and x5 loaner cars. The driving experience is much better in the 330i than the 5 or x5. However, when driving at night, I noticed that the Xenons in the 5 and x5 were more powerful (and whiter) than the Xenons on my 330. Also, the high beams on the 5 and x5 project a nice arc above and to the side of the street (noticeable when driving on a tree-lined street -- looks like you're driving in a tunnel), whereas the 330's don't have such an arc. I'm presuming that the 5/x5's Xenons are just better/more expensive. Anyone else noticed this?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironside
I have a 330i and have recently had the occasion to drive 525i and x5 loaner cars. The driving experience is much better in the 330i than the 5 or x5. However, when driving at night, I noticed that the Xenons in the 5 and x5 were more powerful (and whiter) than the Xenons on my 330. Also, the high beams on the 5 and x5 project a nice arc above and to the side of the street (noticeable when driving on a tree-lined street -- looks like you're driving in a tunnel), whereas the 330's don't have such an arc. I'm presuming that the 5/x5's Xenons are just better/more expensive. Anyone else noticed this?
I believe they use a different/newer system on the 3er.

Possibly from those "OMG ur lights liek BLIND mee" complaints.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

I've noticed that too. On the 5-series and X5 vehicles, they project this beam that goes way up into any trees I may be passing by to the right, also the illumination goes well above your average stop sign. The E90 on the other hand is much more considerate with it and keeps the lowbeams pointed fairly low but still very bright. I complained about the HID's on my ML500 before and even had MB re-adjust them to factory specs just incase they were thrown off somehow, but the car came back just the same so I figure it's the way that it was designed. When driving behind a car I noticed that my beam would constantly jump over their sideview mirrors (and sometimes the rearview) unless travelling on a perfectly smooth road, this bothered me cause I knew I'd hate to be in their position. So I'm more than happy with the xenon's on my E90.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
CnoteMD
Commander in Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Garage List
2008 M5  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
When I have driven in very dark areas (i.e., upstate NY) I have noticed that the low beam stays level and then extends upwards on the right hand side. There is a very sharp cut-off that doesn't blind other drivers, but still lights up street signs (on the side).

With the high beams, that sharp cut-off goes away and the light shines way up into the trees. Also the edges of the beam seem to be more purple-ish with the high beams on. I have driven next to several other cars with HID lights, and the light from our cars doesn't seem any less white. However, when looking directly into the headlights, other car makes seem to have a more "purple" colored light. I think this has more to do with the headlight optics than the actual light output.

The most extreme colors seem to be from Audi (very purple looking light at certain angles, but still shines a white light on the ground).
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
SomeguythatworksforBMW
Redline junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si

Actually, I have to say the the new Nissan Maxima has the most extreme color I've ever seen. At some angles, the twinkle of the light is incredible. That, and the S2000 also.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
quincy
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironside
I like the 5 xenons better as well.
Appreciate 0