BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m2c

Window stopped working??

Im not sure if this is in the right section, so mods feel free to move it to where it belongs. My drivers side window stopped working after a very icy day. My car had a layer of ice all around it so i scraped some of the ice around the window area to open the door. After I get into the car i notice that the window did not go back up the quarter inch that it usually does when you close the door. So naturally i tried pressing the power window button and nothing. Then i try raising the window with the power button and a warning picture of a window with an exclamation point to the right of it pops up. I looked in the manual and it corresponds to "pinch protection system of the power windows malfunctioning." It should be noted that when ever i press down or pull up on the power window button, I hear a clicking sound but the warning light ONLY comes on when I pull the button upwards. As of now, the window is permanently stuck a quarter inch down as it would be normally if the door is opened. This is a very annoying problem to have as not only can I open my window for drive throughs/tolls, I can hear the wind while driving on the highway. Water also gets into my car when it rains or if I try to wash my car. Any help in this issue would be appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
rpsco
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Unfortunately, trying to put it up/down has probably made the problem worse. The window regulator, which moves the glass, is a cable system. More than likely the cable is jammed inside the pulley and there's nothing you can do but fix/replace the regulator.

I replaced mine myself. It's a pretty easy job. Adjusting the glass is the most difficult part. Here's the DIY: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880902
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you for your reply, so based on what happened it sounds like the regulator and not the motor? If so Im going to purchase a regulator and have my mechanic change it. I just didn't want to buy the wrong part as I had no idea what was wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
rpsco
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyubiii View Post
Thank you for your reply, so based on what happened it sounds like the regulator and not the motor? If so Im going to purchase a regulator and have my mechanic change it. I just didn't want to buy the wrong part as I had no idea what was wrong with it.
Can you move the glass up or down by hand?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
kyubiii
Private First Class
Rep

Yup i can only slide it up like an eighth of an inch. It doesnt move more than that either way.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

I agree with RPSCO, Window Regulator needs to be replaced!
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0