E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > should i replace my Forge DV with , blowoff valves?

11-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/H2/SL350/Panamera 4/

should i replace my Forge DV with , blowoff valves?

since i have all performance parts , i have gone with forge DV to hold more boost etc.. but now i really would like to have blowoff valve sound, i really would like to hear that sound in my car, but what it would be my lost if replace it on performance?

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Are you on a stock charge pipe?

I would go with the helix BOV, since they are direct replacements for the DV valves, and dont need to replace the whole charge pipe to get a BOV.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
Are you on a stock charge pipe?

I would go with the helix BOV, since they are direct replacements for the DV valves, and dont need to replace the whole charge pipe to get a BOV.
actually ordered STETT Performance Charge Pipe, i ll be reciving it in couple days,

| e93 M-DCT ESS VT2-625 | Akra Slip-on | Challenge Race Catless x-pipe | Challenge front lip | Challenge Diffuser | Carbon front grilles | defi gauges control unit | Macht Schnell gauge panel | E93 M3 trunk Spoiler | IND Carbon Fiber Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Charge pipe without the BOV i am guessing..

If you want the BOV sound, helix BOV on the stett charge pipe should be very good.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=helix+bov
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

No. N54 is designed for DVs.
      11-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca335i View Post
saying no , not to get it?

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca335i View Post
Doesnt matter, the N54 can run on DV's or a BOV.

Here is a nice write up from a fellow forum member to better understand:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Is It Ok To Run A Blow-Off Valve On the 335i?

Before I start this review, I kind of feel inclined to just dispell some bad information regarding blow-off valves versus diverter or recirculating valves. In MAF or mass air flow cars, there is a significant difference between using recirculating valves and blow-off valves (BOV). The MAF car can run very rich if you choose to try to change to a BOV because of the way the air is metered. We are not a MAF car, but a T-MAP car. What this means is that the car cannot tell the difference between a diverter valve and a BOV. Now, each will have their own preference on whether they like BOV sounds or not, but remember there is no difference from a performance stand point between diverter valves and blow-off valves. End public service announcement.

I have loved the sounds of BOVs for a long time and have debated getting one for my 335i for a while. On my last car, I had a single turbo setup with an HKS SSQV and loved it! What kept me from buying one up to this point is that I have read of aftermarket charge pipes popping of the throttle body and I have never heard a sound clip that showed the BOV was really noticeable. This kind of kept me from purchasing one until now. Leaky stock diverter valve stories just got to be too much for me and I decided to make the plunge.

After searching the market, I decided on the STETT Performance Charge Pipe / Tial BOV kit. Some of the things that swayed me were:

1. Replacing the stock plastic charge pipe with a non-flexing material
2. Tial has a super reputation in the tuner world
3. STETT has taken a pro-active approach to eliminating the charge pipe from popping off the throttle body (I will go more into this later)
So its more than fine to run a BOV, just depends if you want the sound (bov) or lil to no sound (DV)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
luca335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 335I Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre86 View Post
saying no , not to get it?
No don't get it.
      11-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
no.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
Doesnt matter, the N54 can run on DV's or a BOV.

Here is a nice write up from a fellow forum member to better understand:

So its more than fine to run a BOV, just depends if you want the sound (bov) or lil to no sound (DV)

thats a good write up, thanks for it.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Get the bov. Don't get forged DV's because people tell you to. There is no performance difference at all and its your preference. Just like wheels or anything else for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Get the bov. Don't get forged DV's because people tell you to. There is no performance difference at all and its your preference. Just like wheels or anything else for that matter.

not a big process, i m gonna get Tial Bov to see the diffrience by myself, will i be able to read the boost with tial bov? like i do in forge DV

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Ferre86
Captain
Turkey
Rep

soon i m gonna recieve my Stett charge pipe with FD valve adapter if i order tial bow then i need a new charge pipe also right ? they diffrient designed?

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Car Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I just wrote up a review on the HKS bov kit in another thread. Overall, I think you'll be very pleased. The addition of a charge pipe (that will come with the STETT kit you ordered) will also help to reduce other possible boost leak issues, which often stem from clips on the charge pipe coming loose.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
not a big process, i m gonna get Tial Bov to see the diffrience by myself, will i be able to read the boost with tial bov? like i do in forge DV
Yes, you will be able to measure boost fine. DV's do not help retain boost. Because that pressurized air could just as easily slip out of the intake out the filters if it was very much pressure and become unmetered anyway in a MAF car. Since ours is TMAP it won't matter. Boost is boost regardless of BOV or DV's. So to summarize, yes you can measure boost nothing will change except you'll have the pshhht noise you want . And considering many of the people that criticize a bov put quad exhaust, put m3 bumpers on their non m3 cars, and change out many things that are purely cosmetic then a PSHHHT noise is no less justified on a turbo vehicle. In fact, I prefer it because my opinion is to ventilate to the atmousphere methanol versus recirculating it through my intake track and turbo compressors/fmic etc. Personally, I'm tired of the BMW elitists who think because its a BMW you can't put a bov on it. Its a damn car. If you can present empirical evidence that proves BOV's are inferior to DV's then I'll certainly listen. And you know if there WAS any information like that even floating around as a rumor they would be the first to bitch about it. Its the guy's car, let him do what he pleases. As long as you aren't badging your car M3... I mean, I could bring up the subject that if BMW thought our cars needed dark tints then they would have come from the factory that way and I could call you, 'unclassy' but that classy bit is a little much for me to swallow. Yes, I believe in clean, Yes, I like a sleek car, but there are somethings I'll do to my car cosmetically and otherwise that I LIKE that others may not agree with. Thats fine. But don't call me unclassy

Put the bov on, post a vid and lets hear it!! I have a bov on my auto. If someone has an issue with it close your ears.

Quote:
soon i m gonna recieve my Stett charge pipe with FD valve adapter if i order tial bow then i need a new charge pipe also right ? they diffrient designed?

The charge pipe is designed different for DV's vs the tial flange. You shouldn't have a hard time selling the charge pipe here in the FS section because I think STETT usually has a waiting period before they send them out, maybe I'm wrong here. But from what I understand the DV version of stett's charge pipe won't work with any BOV. Maybe someone wants to trade + cash since theirs is likely used. Or perhaps you can just eat the shipping costs and ask STETT to swap it out for you.

EDIT: Also, from what I understand, the DV's that come with their charge pipe are actually larger than the upgraded dv's they sell for the stock charge pipe. So they aren't interchangeable from what I hear. Just a bit of info that may help you out later.
Appreciate 0